Oil catch can - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Bolt On's Anything related to the quick Bolt-On mods. From Intakes to Exhausts. This includes Cams and Heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
Besides the cost, the maintenance factor is one of the main reasons why car manufacturers don't install catch cans. It's easier just to burn the oil.
I agree 100 percent. The members here tend to be a little more performance minded vs the just burn the cheapest crap gasoline possible and happy to do it, average driver/ owner. For me, turning the drain **** every 4 or 5 tanks of gas is not a big deal but "Joe or Jane average owner" would have issues with it.

2013 Automatic RT classic 345 cu inch
Stock block and heads
KenneBell 2.8 LC supercharger, RWHP 484, 493#tq (apx 575 crank HP)
SRT8 headers and catted mids, 3 inch pipe back through Porter high flow mufflers, resonator delete.
Tranzformer transmission tuner, NOESP traction control disable.
Lock Pick, Mircast to HDMI adpt into HDMI to composite adpt for wireless connection of phone to stream TV/Movies to the entertainment system (for the wife, I don't watch while driving)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:43 PM

Mine after 3000 miles, catch can was installed with 6 miles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161210_074507.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	758649   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161210_074550.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	758657   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161119_163628.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	494.1 KB
ID:	758665  

THE BEAST !!
2016 Challenger Scat Pack
Oil can catch, hemi 392 valve covers, Mopar front and rear strut bars, lowering springs, tinted marker lamps, tinted windows, racing stipes, shifter eliminator, mopar short shifter, deleted mid muffler, engine dress kit,
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Newbie to the game. My first car was a 72 challenger and now I own a 2016 RT Plus 5.7 8 spread automatic. Loving it.

I like the idea of the catch can but have a few questions:
1- How hard is it to install?
2- how hard is it to drain?
3 - Is there room to install on the RT Plus and where? I notice most thread contributors have the scat pack or hellcat

2016 Challenger RT Plus
5.7 Liter - 8 Speed Automatic
20" Hyperblack Rims
Super Track, Black Top, 8.4" Uconnect Sunroof Packages

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigb View Post
Newbie to the game. My first car was a 72 challenger and now I own a 2016 RT Plus 5.7 8 spread automatic. Loving it.

I like the idea of the catch can but have a few questions:
1- How hard is it to install?
2- how hard is it to drain?
3 - Is there room to install on the RT Plus and where? I notice most thread contributors have the scat pack or hellcat
Answers to #1 & 2 are both not hard at all. You choose your mount location, either fender or engine mount, couple bolts to mount and connect two vacuum lines. To empty you either open a drain valve if the model you choose has one or unscrew the bottom cup. And I believe you should have no problems with putting one in your RT Plus. Check out Speedlogix, they're a vendor on here and I'm sure have something that will work for you.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 PM

I'm still on the fence of getting the oil catch can myself. I'm wondering if the vendors here also ship to Canada.

2017 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
Bright White w/ Black & Pearl Sepia Interior
NAV
Driver Convenience Pkg
Technology Pkg
Sunroof
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Surprised no one picked up on this. Your catch can oil shouldn't look like that. That's water/oil mix and that's BAD!!!

'10 Challenger R/T Classic
Flowmaster Force II cat back, K&N branded CAI with Amsoil dry synthetic filter, Diablo Predator 91 CAI tune,
Mopar '11+ IAT sensor, Mopar hood struts, RPI stealth guards, R/T spoiler emblem

The Following User Says Thank You to 72/340 For This Useful Post:
Nuke (02-09-2017)
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72/340 View Post
Surprised no one picked up on this. Your catch can oil shouldn't look like that. That's water/oil mix and that's BAD!!!

Wow that looks really bad, I remember back in high school when I blew the engine on a Fiat on the way from LA to Palm Springs. I drove the whole way back at about 25mph.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus - Blue Bella
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72/340 View Post
Historically, such a sight would be a sure indicator of water mixing with the engine oil, yes, but I don't think that diagnosis (based on color alone) is nearly as accurate as it used to be. Too many things have changed with the engines and the chemicals we put in them.

No, I'm more inclined to point to the evaporated VII additives from the multi-viscosity engine oil as the culprit for turning my CC collections into something resembling tapioca pudding. Although I can't indict the oil's add-packs ingredients without also pointing out the co-conspirator in this particular event - cold ambient air temps. If it weren't for the temps hovering around freezing that day, we wouldn't have been treated to the wonderful all the wonderful colors the CC collections turned into.

SIDE NOTE: I once spent several hours in my garage heating up, cooling down, pouring, spreading, and just basically playing with some oil that I emptied out of my CC, and you know I enjoyed the heck out of that seemingly boring waste of time, as my wife labeled it. It is absolutely amazing how our engine oil can react to temperature changes both quickly and reliably, even after being expelled from the engine as blow-by and condensed on the side of a plastic cup.

But I digest...

Anyway, I appreciate the concern, but I am unconcerned about my engine's current state with respects to its lubrication. If that sort of thing were due to water in my oil, that would mean I have been getting about the same amount of water in my oil for the last 60K miles, and ignoring the fact that no discernible damage has occurred from it in all that time, I would think my engine coolant would at least be very low by now, probably even needing to be refilled a time or two. So far none of that has come to pass though, so I'm going to keep 'er on this course for a little longer.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPasoBob View Post
I took my car in for the first oil change to synthetic at the dealer at 2k. I brought in my Speedlogix catch can, showed it to the service manager and asked if there were any warranty problems running a catch can, he told me no. There is no problem that can can cause. So I took my car home after the oil change and installed it.

There are many Challengers out there with 200k plus miles and the owners never heard of a catch can, does it make a difference, I don't know for sure, But it can't hurt

I've been a tech sense 1984 and I can tell you with certainty that a catch can dose make a difference over time. Back in the day of carbs and TBI it didn't mater so much because the fuel kept the intake valves wash clean. Now with multi port injection the fuel no longer keeps the valves clean. I have seen so much carbon build up on intake valves there shaped like a Christmas tree. It will restrict air flow and cause cold lean conditions because the carbon will actually suck up fuel. I have seen this on engines with 70K and higher. Don't get me wrong I not saying it will be a problem for every one. I have seen it on 4.7, 5.2, 5.9 2.2, 2.0 and V10. Also I put a catch can on my 2000 Dakota 5.9 when it was new and with 130K the intake valves have no build up. So as a Dodge Tech I swear by a catch can. they won't harm your engine and will help, as mentioned the key is to empty it on a regular bases.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSimoni View Post
Wow that looks really bad, I remember back in high school when I blew the engine on a Fiat on the way from LA to Palm Springs. I drove the whole way back at about 25mph.
You know what Fiat stands for don't you, Fix Or Repair Daily!!

A-HAHAHAHA!!! Get it?! Fix or Repair....wait, hold on...I think I missed one...

oops, nevermind...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Bolt On's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode