Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Thinking about doing straight pipes

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  ChoppedRoadie 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have a 2014 Classic R/T Manual Transmission with the super track pak. Right now I have a resonator delete and slapped some aggressive flowmaster short mufflers on it.

It's not quite as loud as I think it can be prior to doing headers, cam, and cai. It's only 150$ maybe less to delete the muffler all together.

I'm wondering if anybody has advice on the muffler and resonator delete for a 6 speed. I have some drone now, not too too much only at certain rpms. Some questions I have:

1. Has anyone done this or heard it in person and what were your thoughts

2. Should I wait a bit until I have a pair of high flow cats, will the high flow cats make a big difference

3. I am a little worried about back pressure issues if I do the muffler delete as well, but I have seen some people say they don't have back pressure issues, opinions?

4. Lastly, I would like to tune it after doing the straight pipes. Then once I cam it and do headers re tune it then. Probably will be a while before cam and headers.

Thanks in advance for your opinions on these questions, greatly appreciate the feedback.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App Ryan

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a buddy who did straight pipes and it sounds really good. Only problem is that its loud in the car. Now I did the rear resonator delete already on my 15 r/t and I like it but I will be going the same route as my buddy did and go straight pipes. To me for it being loud in the cabin is not that big of an issue. I dont drive it everyday.

#4 ·
Maybe you should consider cut-outs instead. That way you could close them for long trips on the highway and open them for short trips were the drone wouldn't matter that much.

#5 ·
Or you can get your interior and trunk lined with Dynamat/Dynaliner to reduce the cabin noise of the exhaust.

#22 ·
I did straight pipes on my '15 Scat, stock exhaust with no mufflers or resonators. Sounded badass. The drone was overwhelming, almost sickening. It rattled & resonated through the chassis & interior. 2-days of this was brutal. I now have the Solo full catback with x-pipe, no mufflers at all, true 3" exhaust from cats to tips. With the J-pipes I have a straight thru exhaust with absolutely zero drone and all the angry exhaust tone at the rear bumper. Quit in the cabin while all hell is breaking loose it back. Best mod I've done yet to my Scat.

#18 ·
I've heard a lot of people happy with straight pipes. Sounds like what I want to do with my Corsa Sport to make it louder. I just don't know how. I heard some nice Blastin Bob's pipes but then learned there are 3 different pipe options. I want straight pipes to the tips....roarsome.

#19 ·
I went with Solo X pipe, no muffler, J pipe to stop all drone in back, and bigger 2.5" piping from cat back in the 5.7. So its bigger piping straight pipe all the way back with the J pipe killing all drone….sound is very nice rumble inside, and great loud sound outside especially when get on it hard…..sounds like a muscle car is suppose to, I can drive with this sound all day and not get tired of it…..now I can't stop driving it!!!!!!

Reactions: 29Clear
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.