Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Tunnel Ram?

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  MoparMaddness 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if they have made a tunnel ram kit for the 2008-Present challengers? Just curious as I think it's the baddest mod out there imo.

#4 ·
I know they use that type of style on like a dragpak

#7 ·
Tunnel rams are and were never meant for street cars. Due to the long runners they had absolutely no lower end torque and usually didn't come on until 3500 to 4000 rpms. How many times you drive your street car in that rpm band, especially if you have an auto?
They are another item from a bygone era that deserve to be gone. Didn't work well then and won't now. People in the day got them for looks and soon regretted it thereafter.

#8 ·
By runner length, I would consider the Gen 3 Hemi intake to be similar, almost like a single plenum tunnel ram with the runners running up and over so the plenum is on the bottom. Since it's injected near the valve, it looses the bad fueling characteristics of the tunnel ram. The runners also seem to narrow as they move down and closer to the valve adding to the velocity of the intake charge. If you straightened them out, it would probably be a bit taller than the typical tunnel ram. Like a updated mix of tunnel ram and a short sixties "long ram".

Cutaway

#10 ·
By runner length, I would consider the Gen 3 Hemi intake to be similar, almost like a single plenum tunnel ram with the runners running up and over so the plenum is on the bottom. Since it's injected near the valve, it looses the bad fueling characteristics of the tunnel ram. The runners also seem to narrow as they move down and closer to the valve adding to the velocity of the intake charge. If you straightened them out, it would probably be a bit taller than the typical tunnel ram. Like a updated mix of tunnel ram and a short sixties "long ram".

Cutaway
Absolutely, EFI intake runners surpassed tunnel ram lengths LONG ago.

A custom sheet metal intake with injector bungs and a bird catcher on top would look great and run pretty decent if done right, but it's not gonna be cheap.

#9 ·
arrington sells a stage 2 ported & polished intake for gen 3's. it's pretty boss.
add ported heads & a hot cam & hang on tight lol
6.1 HEMI Stage 2 Ported intake manifold - shopHEMI.com

then arrington also sells a supercharger intake / kit
2013 6.4L HEMI 6LB Supercharger Kit by Arrington Performance - shopHEMI.com
nice lookin intake

the drag pak tunnel ram is for carbs or injection they have different versions i think
Mopar DragPak Intake Manifold - P5155288
neither will probably fit under your hood lol

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.