2014 SRT8 Twin Turbo or Supercharger??? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Forced Induction

Forced Induction From Blowers to Turbos

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 04:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2014 SRT8 Twin Turbo or Supercharger???

After just finding out that Arrington has cracked the codes for the 2014 392 Hemi's I quickly started getting much more serious about looking at forced induction. Only problem is, I am kind of a newbie to this kind of thing. I have never had much to do with Superchargers or Turbos so I am looking to hear from all of you for some help. My car is a 2014 SRT 392 Automatic and I've had it for a little over a month, it has all kinds of power but as always I find myself wanting more.

Supercharger or Twin Turbos? Which is better and why? What kind of performance gains am I looking at for either?

How many lbs can I go without having to drop the pistons and replace with forged? And is that low of boost gonna be worth the money?

How far can I go without having to get into that Auto Transmission? How many HP is too many on stock drivetrain.

Is Arrington the only place I can go to have this done? I'm in Northern Missouri and would do the drive If I had to but would like to avoid it if possible.

I'm Sure I will have plenty more questions as this project develops but this should get me going. Any advice or examples would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
Soon to Come: Edge Stall Converter at about 3800-4000, Gforce Level 2 Halfshafts, and Gforce DriveShaft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 04:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to buckwheat
Get a Kenne Bell and call it a day!!

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT 9.67 149 mph
449 Aluminum Hemi
Arrington Apache Heads
Kenne Bell 4.2LC
Kenne Bell 148mm Throttle Body
Big Azz Cam Motion Camshaft
Triumph Performance Wheels (Street Cruising)
Bogart Racing Wheels/Double Bead Locks
Hoosier 28x10's (Laying The Smack Down)
Sons of Confederate Veterans Louisiana Division

2015 Dodge Hellcat
2013 Jeep SRT8 Black Vapor Edition
1971 El Camino SS 454
2014 Dodge Challenger SRT NMCA Street Outlaw 94mm Turbo (under construction)
Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Levi9412 View Post
After just finding out that Arrington has cracked the codes for the 2014 392 Hemi's I quickly started getting much more serious about looking at forced induction. Only problem is, I am kind of a newbie to this kind of thing. I have never had much to do with Superchargers or Turbos so I am looking to hear from all of you for some help. My car is a 2014 SRT 392 Automatic and I've had it for a little over a month, it has all kinds of power but as always I find myself wanting more.

Supercharger or Twin Turbos? Which is better and why? What kind of performance gains am I looking at for either?

How many lbs can I go without having to drop the pistons and replace with forged? And is that low of boost gonna be worth the money?

How far can I go without having to get into that Auto Transmission? How many HP is too many on stock drivetrain.

Is Arrington the only place I can go to have this done? I'm in Northern Missouri and would do the drive If I had to but would like to avoid it if possible.

I'm Sure I will have plenty more questions as this project develops but this should get me going. Any advice or examples would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
What is your goal with the car? My goal was 550-600 hp and a 11 sec 1/4 mile, the API maggie I order should do both.

Also it needed to do 15000 miles a year, cause it is a Daily Driver first and foremost, not a week warrior or race car.

Last edited by BWD; 02-17-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added
Old 02-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
Get a Kenne Bell and call it a day!!
what he said X2;

imo, turbo has never been and will never be "in an upgrade configuration" synonym for ultimate or factory like reliability

back 25 years ago turbo used to break on factory cars but now they are super reliable; but is out of the OEM specs so it is made to last in street conditions and protected by PCMs keeping it all under control

as an upgrade, sure it is exotic, weird, avoids some parasitic loss, gets really hot (not really a plus...) under spirited driving and kicks ass;

but if it is a daily driver, it is "what he said" X2... and i don't even like supercharger, lol

at the end of the day, never forget that your upgrades are as only good as the one person who is tuning the engine for you

keep your heads, pistons and rods running safely out there

good luck!

ODP
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
arrington tuned and installed my sc last year...no probs so far. knock on wood

Old 03-15-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Levi9412 View Post

Where at in MO are you located? Craven Performance is in Northern STL and they have built some really nice Challengers. I am about to get a D1 procharger and just drop in the forged pistons just in case. I am not sure yet where to have the install and tuning done. JMB is right up the road from me and craven isnt to far. If you are ever around the stl area let me know STLSRT club does get togeathers from time to time.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (1)
I ended up deciding on a pro charger as well myself, but I'm having Sho-Me Speed down by Springfield do the work. I am also going with drop in pistons and also a comp cam. I'm located right on the Iowa line but I'd be interested in meeting up with you guys. I'm always looking for other challenger owners around my area but they seem to be pretty scarce around here. PM me the info if you would. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Levi9412 For This Useful Post:
SRT8Line (03-16-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to electricmarquis Send a message via Skype™ to electricmarquis
Having researched drop-ins myself after buying parts/fluids etc..... Your not that far off from a fresh forged stroker short block in value. Maybe I got inflated prices on forged drop-ins with install on my 6.1......?
2015 Subaru WRX - ORDERED.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 PM

There is pros and cons to both, but the tuning is the most important part of it. Take it to a a shop that has a good reputation once you have specific goals decided. I have a hellion twin turbo kit with some upgrades and I love it. I'm putting down 530whp and 567tq at 6lbs of boost and I'm at 12k miles with no problems. I went with turbos because it felt smoother and I havent seen any others around here with turbos

Last edited by stickboyrc51; 03-30-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:02 PM

After adding any kind of boost, is it necessary to have it tuned by someone? The procharger kit comes with a diablo and a tune for it. I mean at worst case, I can get a tune emailed from johan, right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to LKQ392 For This Useful Post:
shanedogg (04-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Forced Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.