Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Kenne Bell kit keeps blowing out of air filter and making a mess ????? Pics included

7K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Flat Top 
#1 ·
So this has been an ongoing issue with me and the SC kit. I currently have a billet technologies catch can that was installed by the builder. If I remember correctly it is routed to the back of the crankcase and supercharger. This can will fill up after a few hundred miles of aggressive driving. On the other side is a line that runs from the oil fill neck to the middle of my intake tube. Blow by runs out of that hose down the intake tube, out of the air filter. Unfortunately it drips onto the bottom of my engine cover/lip and just makes a mess. Clearly there is some pressure in that crank case which is causing all this. I cant see anyone else just dealing with it. Would I be able to put a second catch can in place between crankcase and tube to pickup the blow by? Is this typical?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
No worries my friend. Your concern is the same as mine. I am going to check the PVC system and make sure it is properly setup as well. I bought the car boosted so I am learning as I go.

#5 ·
The oil vapor leaves the engine block via a brass 90* elbow on the passenger side of the intake manifold, near the rear. It goes to your catch can. The other hose goes from your catch can to the rear of the Mammoth plenum. The PCV Valve could be anywhere in-line. On the rear, driver's side, of the Mammoth plenum there are 3 similar size hoses. It will be one of them. Find that hose on the rear of the plenum. Remove it and blow into it-no air should flow. Suck on it-and you should be able to suck air through the hose.

#7 ·
I am wondering if by chance one of those hose were swapped on the back. So I just took some time and traced them all. Lets see if this chit makes sense.

On drivers side I have 3 lines top being #1 , middle/back a bit #2 , and bottom #3 .

#1 goes from top of intake to brake booster on firewall
#2 goes from middle rear of intake to what looks like some sort of purge valve on the pass. side near my shock tower
#3 goes from bottom of intake, has a check valve inline and goes to my catch can. the other line from the catch can goes to a fitting on the pass side of the innercooler.

Here are a few pictures. I am sure oil is passing through that check valve and will fill my catch can within a couple hundred miles. I am sure this is not right. Only thing I can think of is this is not installed properly??? What is causing so much pressure in my crank case to force oil out of the hose on the driver side into the intake tube. I am sure another catch can will intercept the fluid, but that pressure will likely start to blow seals after awhile. I do drive this car hard and love boost, but damn.

Attachments

#8 ·
And to boot clearly this is an issue. There is oil blow by all over the inside of my front driver wheel, wheel well, and enough to leave a small puddle from the bottom of my lip. :( Last time I dealt with this a few hundred miles ago, I popped all the plastic rivets, removed part of my inner fender, and cleaned the mess. Looks like I get to do it again. :(

#9 · (Edited)
* I just looked at my installation manual: All 3 of your hoses are installed in their proper locations.

* You need to do the blow-suck test to ensure your PCV Valve is working correctly, and not installed backwards.

* The amount of oil your catch can collects in a few hundred miles is normal for a KB. I am assuming the KB's PCV System flows a lot more air through it than a stock system. All that extra airflow brings a lot more oil vapor with it, and that is what your catch can is removing. It fills up so fast - that's why I made my easy drain catch can. This thread shows how much mine collects: http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...or-lets-lot-oil-pass-straight-through-328474/

* When you are driving the car normally (not in boost) (95% of the time), the PCV system flows fresh air through the crankcase, collecting any blow-by gasses, and re-enters those gasses into the motor via the rear of the Mammoth intake plenum. There is zero blow-by pressure in the crankcase. Zero pressure is going out of your oil filler neck hose. Again, all the time you're not in boost.
. . . . . Only when you go into boost: When you go into boost, the PCV Valve slams shut. That blocks-off the above system. Any blow-by pressure that builds-up trickles out of the motor via the only opening available: Your oil fill neck hose. And yes, that should be a very small trickle of flow. And only for the very short time you're in boost. Not enough cumulative time to soak your air filter. The only way blow-by gasses can be sufficient enough to soak your air filter is if your PCV Valve/system is not working/blocked, or if you have serious motor issues.

* Oil Changes: When you add oil to the motor you have to add it very, very slowly. Painfully slowly. Your Oil Filler Neck mounts to the KB intake manifold. The hole in the KB intake manifold that allows that oil to pass through to the oil pan is very small. You can't see it when you look in the filler neck, but the hole that all the oil has to go through is about 3/16". It is very, very small.
. . . . . Unfortunately, the brass nipple on your oil fill neck that has the hose that goes to your big fresh air intake tube, is mounted very low on the oil fill neck.
. . . . . So, If you (or whoever does your oil changes) add oil to your motor like a normal car, the oil will back-up, go into the brass fitting, through the hose, into your intake tube, and run down to, and drip out, your air filter. This may well be the problem you are experiencing.
. . . . . I use a funnel with a very tiny hole when I add oil. The small size of the funnel hole will not allow me to add more oil than can instantly drain down that tiny 3/16" hole. So, the oil never backs-up in the filler neck, and never goes into the hose. My funnel is also long enough that it enters the bottom of the oil fill neck below the height of the brass hose fitting. All this guarantees me I never get any oil into that hose. It is ridiculous that KB made such a tiny hole for the oil to pass through, and it is really frustrating how slowly you have to add oil, but that's the reality.
. . . . . This thread shows the funnel I use, and how slowly you have to pour it in: http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...or-oil-kenne-bell-without-making-mess-268570/

#10 ·
O.K. Rick you have convinced me to blow my own car to test the PVC valve. HAHAHA Lets hope there is not an issue with my motor. I am going to spend $40 on a cheap catch can just to see if it helps. If so I will drop the $120 for another billet technology device. I am going to assume my PVC valve is working properly since the can is filling up. I will however test it. I assume if I disconnect the line from the catch can I assume I should not be able to blow through it?

#11 ·
No. Do it where the hose mounts on the rear of your Mammoth. That way you will be sure everything is in the proper orientation.

Your thoughts on the "pouring new oil in to quickly" post . . . ??

#12 · (Edited)
I have seen this before. Its an issue once in boost there is no CC venting going on as the pcv gets slammed shut. As said above.
Wonder why you have so much blow by / crankcase presaure building up so that its puking oil. A CC on the drivers side at the oil fill is one remedy many do on the line going to the air filter.
Might want to try and just vent the motors crankcase to the open air from the oil fill, so that zero preasure can build. Just to see what happens.
Still wonder why so much blowby. Let us know what you find.
FlatTop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.