Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Not starting

6K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  1FSTSRT8 
#1 ·
2010 srt8 put on a kenne bell 2.8 lc supercharger about 2500 miles ago and broke the tensioner for the second time about a week ago.. ordered the dayco tensioner installed it and now the car won't start... its cranking over just not firing.. smells rich of fuel so its getting fuel but no spark? anyways plugged in my scanner anyways and it threw 2 codes B210A which is low system voltage and B210D which is low battery voltage.. i got a new battery threw it in and still same thing cranking over but not firing.

If anyone has any idea please post thank you

#2 ·
2010 srt8 put on a kenne bell 2.8 lc supercharger about 2500 miles ago and broke the tensioner for the second time about a week ago.. ordered the dayco tensioner installed it and now the car won't start... its cranking over just not firing.. smells rich of fuel so its getting fuel but no spark? anyways plugged in my scanner anyways and it threw 2 codes B210A which is low system voltage and B210D which is low battery voltage.. i got a new battery threw it in and still same thing cranking over but not firing.

If anyone has any idea please post thank you
Maybe you lost the tune because of the low voltage. Can you check it with the diablo tuner that should have come with the car

#7 · (Edited)
I know you put a new batt in but have you checked it with a volt meter to make sure its charged. Also check your ground wires to make sure they are tight. I believe there are two off the engine to the body/frame one on each side or maybe Iam thinking of my sons neon. Did they disconnect the starter wire when they installed the S/C. I would check every wire on that engine. Some thing happened when the tensioner broke.

#8 ·
:scratchhead:Yea i had the battery hooked to a volt meter and its good. I just checked the ground wires to make sure they were tight but I only could see the ones I'm aware of, the one behind the strut cap on the passenger side, the one below the fuse box on the passenger side and the 2 grounds in the trunk next to the battery. I installed the supercharger myself and no we didn't connect the starter wire and its been running good for the past 2 months just after the tensioner broke and i installed the new one and now it won't fire up. Im going to check the ignition and plugs tomorrow other than that I'm lost and frustrated :scratchhead:

#9 · (Edited)
I think I understand . You had the no start after you installed the new tensioner. Is that correct. Just seems like a bad connection some where or a damaged wire. Or a very big coincidence that you broke a tensioner and then a no start. Have you had any starting problems before the tensioner broke, slow cranking dead batt any thing like that. Also check the hot and ground batt terminal wires for corrosion under the plastic sheathing that's over the cables. You did not say if you had checked the fuses.

#10 ·
yeah after i put the new dayco tensioner on i checked to make sure the belt was on all the pulleys correctly and aligned and then tried to start the car but it would only crank over and not start up. Ive been looking at wires and can't find anything. And nope, It was running great until the tensioner broke, i figured oh easy fix just put another tensioner on lol

#11 ·
I found this it may be helpful. If you have a battery charger hook it up to the car and put the switch to jump start on the battery charger. Then try starting the car. If it starts it may be that your alternator is bad. Pull it off and have it checked.
BATTERY
GENERATOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

The Powertrain control module needs almost 10 volts to work propery, If the battery has less than the needed voltage, the PCM shuts down. When the battery gets enough voltage to run the PCM, the PCM "reboots". When the voltage drops too low, the cycle starts over again. At least take it in and let them test the battery and alternator. Both are covered under the 3/36 warranty. The reason the truck runs bad is the PCM is not working due to low voltage. Also when the PCM "reboots" it needs time to relearn its parameters...It is common for batteries to be bad right off the lot, they sit on the dealers lot for long periods of time without being cranked.

#17 · (Edited)
I was going to suggest checking fuse on boost a pump but if you smell fuel, its not that. Double check any ignition fuses or switch a relay around to test. Also, if you have some jumper cables, clamp one to the body post and one to the engine block on the same lead. I ran into a bad ground one time and that worked for testing. Sounds weird though.

#19 ·
I had a similar thing happen on my Magnasun SC RT about a year ago. I have a quick disconnect cable for a battery charger attached to the fuze box positive connection and was installing a cover over the ABS. I reinstalled and had the nut loose. Car started, then died and flashed the ABS, Traction Control, BAS, and code lights. After retightening the nut, all went off, except BAS and code lights and car wouldn't start. After a little researching, I found I had fried my Magnasun tune when it encountered low voltage. Tried to re-install, from the copy, I had made on my computer and still wouldn't work. Got a new tune from Magnasun and viola! it started, codes went away, and has run well since. You may want to try to get a copy of the original tune from wherever you got you last tune from and then re-install. You will have to reload your stock tune and then the new SC tune to allow for the new SC tune to take effect. Anyways, that's what happened with mine.

#20 ·
alright i wasn't able to look at it yesterday but just did this morning, I looked at all the connectors and wires and unplugged every one. I didn't see anything with the connectors or any stressed wires. I have power to the front of the car, I tested the positive terminal under the hood and it read 12.8 which is perfect. I'm going to call kenne bell on monday and see what they think, I can't think of anything else it would be besides the tune because it seems like it could be something in the computer system.

#21 ·
I tried everything and this morning i put the plugs and coil packs back in after checking for spark and tried to start it again for the first time in 3 days. It wanted to fire up like the past times but I decided to just hammer the gas up and down while trying to start it and it started up! (really got on the gas and pumped it hard) It blew out a bunch of smoke and filled up the garage I pulled it out and kept it running for about 15 min then took it for about a 10 mile drive it drove fine. I think it had to have been bad gas or the car sitting in the cold garage over nights. Anyways that was it, after all the frustration and thinking turns out it was probably just bad gas

#22 ·
Great news! I hope it starts for you tomorrow after it sits overnight.

Just because you mentioned bad gas (old gas?): Any car that might have the same gas in the tank for a couple months (my Challenger and 68 Firebird) I add Stabil to every tankfull. I use their Marine formula, at the storage dose (1 oz/5 gallons). I also use it for everything else I have: Chain saw, power washer, string trimmer, leaf blower, etc. I don't drain the tanks, I keep them full. I've never had an old gas, or gumming issue, since I've been using it. I buy the big bottles cheap at my farm supply store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.