Poll: Best/Most Popular Supercharger Company - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Forced Induction From Blowers to Turbos

View Poll Results: Best and/or Most Popular Supercharger Company
Edlebrock 7 8.75%
Kennebell 22 27.50%
Magnuson 26 32.50%
Procharger 21 26.25%
Vortec 9 11.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by us1champ View Post
Thanks for the informative post phil

i have been looking at all superchargers and still not sure what to do.. as far as your comment on install and how easy it is, can you elaborate on that? just curious compaired to a roots or say a procharger?

and did you have any issues one you got it all on and the software loaded.. did you use the preloaded tune that came with it?

thanks
chris
My only real experience is with Vortech. You'll want access to a lift. Trying to do this with a floor jack while on your back on a creeper will not be any fun and you'll be inventing and expressing a lot of new colorful adjectives. The instructions were fairly well written with quite a few photos. I would have liked more. Still you need to read through the instructions several times, think about them and take your time. It was all pretty straightforward. The toughest part was drilling the crankshaft for the pulley key. Stock engines have a pressed on pulley. The kit comes with a jig to drill for a key to keep the pulley from slipping under the extra load of the S/C head unit. The crank is extremely hard and it took several drill bits. Someone who installs these frequently can do it in 10 to 15 hours. A first timer should realistically allow 15 to 25 hours. Everything with the Vortech kit was precise and fit really well. I imagine a Procharger install would be somewhat similar but can't say for sure. A roots or screw type S/C will require that the intake manifold be removed as it's replaced by the S/C. It's more involved than simply bolting on a centrifugal system.

The only issue I had was that I had to remove my old strut tower brace because of the after-cooler. Speed Logix makes one that clears pretty much anything you want to bolt on top of the engine. I just had to modify the bracket for the after-cooler reservoir and everything was good.

Yes, I use the preloaded tune that comes with the kit on a Diablosport Predator. It's a very reliable tune leaving a lot of safe head room in the AFRs. There are tuners who can get more aggressive and make more power but getting too greedy can play havoc with stock internals.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	59254  

'09 Challenger SRT8 w/ Vortech Supercharger
'64 Plymouth Fury w/426 Max Wedge
'65 Barracuda w/410 Small Block Stroker
'13 Ram 2500 Megacab

Last edited by MoparPhil; 12-21-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Brucer41
I loves my Maggie!

2009 Challenger SRT8 (Hemi Orange Pearl)
Modern Muscle 426 Hemi Stroker
Arrington Performance Hemi 90mm Billet Throttle Body
Magnaflow TVS 2300 - Black Finish w/90mm Inlet
Arrington Magnaflow TVS2300 Direct Drive System
Kooks Long Tube Headers/ Kooks Catted Midpipes
And way too much to list here!!
#33 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 06:59 AM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparPhil View Post
My only real experience is with Vortech. You'll want access to a lift. Trying to do this with a floor jack while on your back on a creeper will not be any fun and you'll be inventing and expressing a lot of new colorful adjectives. The instructions were fairly well written with quite a few photos. I would have liked more. Still you need to read through the instructions several times, think about them and take your time. It was all pretty straightforward. The toughest part was drilling the crankshaft for the pulley key. Stock engines have a pressed on pulley. The kit comes with a jig to drill for a key to keep the pulley from slipping under the extra load of the S/C head unit. The crank is extremely hard and it took several drill bits. Someone who installs these frequently can do it in 10 to 15 hours. A first timer should realistically allow 15 to 25 hours. Everything with the Vortech kit was precise and fit really well. I imagine a Procharger install would be somewhat similar but can't say for sure. A roots or screw type S/C will require that the intake manifold be removed as it's replaced by the S/C. It's more involved than simply bolting on a centrifugal system.

The only issue I had was that I had to remove my old strut tower brace because of the after-cooler. Speed Logix makes one that clears pretty much anything you want to bolt on top of the engine. I just had to modify the bracket for the after-cooler reservoir and everything was good.

Yes, I use the preloaded tune that comes with the kit on a Diablosport Predator. It's a very reliable tune leaving a lot of safe head room in the AFRs. There are tuners who can get more aggressive and make more power but getting too greedy can play havoc with stock internals.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you very much..

the box looking thing on top.. aftercooler?? does that mount to something up top? or the firewall?

from the pics i can't see where the air intake is.. unless it is the box i am talking about up by the intake.

I am assuming you had to use a air drill to drill the crank pin?

thanks again
chris

2009 SRT
ARRINGTON TVS 2300 8LB BLOWER WITH A.J. TUNE & MODERN MUSCLE THROTTLE BODY WITH LMI FENDER PULL INTAKE
ARRINGTON FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE
BILLET TECH FUEL DOOR BADGE, DOORLOCK PINS, DEVO STRUT TOWER COVERS, COMPLETE UNDERHOOD KIT IN RED, POP CAN DELETE DISC'S, SRT WHEEL CENTERS, DOOR JAM INSERTS
CANTON SUPER CHARGER COOLANT TANK
BARTON SHORT THROW SHIFTER WITH MOPAR SHORT THROW HANDLE]
CUSTOM HEAD RESTS
SPEEDLOGIX A-PILLAR POD WITH AUTOMETER CARBON FIBER GUAGES
#34 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by us1champ View Post
Thank you very much..

the box looking thing on top.. aftercooler?? does that mount to something up top? or the firewall?

from the pics i can't see where the air intake is.. unless it is the box i am talking about up by the intake.

I am assuming you had to use a air drill to drill the crank pin?

thanks again
chris
Yes, that's the after- cooler. Actually the cooler is not mounted. The hoses are fairly rigid and hold it in place and sits on rubber feet. The reservoir is mounted to the strut tower.

The intake is in the front of the driver's side fender and feeds directly into the head unit. The filter is conical like most of the aftermarket CAIs.

Used an electric drill motor.
#35 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparPhil View Post
Also, be careful when comparing systems. Don't go strictly by peak power output. Instead, look at entire power curves. A given system can boast a peak of say 600 hp but that peak can come in one short spurt and/or in an unusable rpm range. A car that averages 550 hp over an flat power curve in a larger rpm range can far out perform the other with the higher peak number.

Have fun and good hunting!
You make some really good points, thanks for posting. As far as the above, this is why I was interested in the Edelbrock, as it makes power thru a large RPM ban.

'10 Toyota RAV4 green
'13 Toyota Tacoma TRD
'14 GT 500 silver and black
'11 GWE SRT Challenger - traded

Last edited by conceptmachine; 12-26-2012 at 04:08 PM.
#36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 07:26 AM

I went with Edelbrock. The thing pulls like crazy from the time you get on it until you run
out of road or loose your nerve. Absolutely no regrets....

#37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 PM

What are people's opinions on the Maggie vs. Wipple vs. KB?
I've heard different opinions related to the application of the vehicle but I wanted to get some more feedback.

Has anyone heard if Wipple released their kit for the 392 yet?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Forced Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode