Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Procharger on 2013 rt

8K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  tweezyfbaby1 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been a while since I last posted, a lot has changed for myself and the car and the time has come to supercharge my baby. It's been a tough choice between a kb (looks amazing) or a procharger but based on what I have read and daily driving my car I made my mind up and will be purchasing a p1 procharger kit. I have been quoted by a very good reputable shop here in the bay $7500 for the kit with installation and with a dyno tune probably around 8k. I chose not to get it polished and save money for installation or other parts. At the moment all I really have done as far as engine is remove my cats, straight pipes, oil catch can, cai, Diablo can tune. I'm hoping for 500hp or around that. I have read the p1 tops off at 8lbs of boost if that's true would it be better to buy the d1 kit and run that at 8lbs and once I forge my internals and upgrade some parts have the option for more boost? I also will upgrade to a 274comp cam in the future, would the 2.8 kb kit be more suitable to grow?can anyone chime in? Thanks.

#2 ·
Why the 274 cam? In general, NA cams are not optimal for blower setups. The only positive is that when you blow through your air/fuel mix during the overlap, you cool the cylinder (some shops actually refer to NIC / non-intercooled cams). I would talk to your installer about cam selection and maybe find an easier to tune blower cam.

#3 ·
That's definitely great to know I'm still new to all this never supercharged a car before, I was trying to get as much out the car as possible and I hear all this great gains from the cams. And plus the hemis sound amazing with one! So I guess my best bet is to purchase a d1 kit? And forge internals and up the boost in the future? I'll be happy with 500hp but knowing me I will want more and don't want to have to go through the hassle of switching from p1 to d1 so knowing I can I go more is great.

#5 ·
I honestly don't know what it's capable of doing but keep in mind that to increase air output you have to run smaller pulleys and as you run smaller you may or may not increase the risk of belt slip. I have not personally run a Procharger on the Challenger but I would ask the question as to at what point that becomes an issue.

It's not going to take a lot of boost before you hit big HP and need to upgrade other stuff like axles, injectors, etc. My only suggestion is to think long term and set up a plan with your installer / shop so they can help guide you along the way.

#6 ·
Yeah that's definitely the plan it's so hard to find good shops here by San Francisco, definitely will upgrade the belt and pulley with the install and talk to him about future plans, I'll be very happy with enough horse power to keep up with a hellcat obviously this is a lot more money and a long time from now haha baby steps. Just really enjoy looking back and see how much the car has progressed with hard work and good people there to help!

#7 ·
When I purchased my Procharger it only cost an extra $250 to upgrade to a D1. The D1 moves a lot more air than the P1.

#10 ·
What's up Beyond...........I have a few questions for you.

First off, you do realize that PROCHARGER's are not CA legal, right? Believe me, I've looked into this judicially and have even phoned PROCHARGER.

They have told me they're not CA legal.

I wanted to go with a centrifugal because I have a a stage 3 ported 6.1 intake manifold, but with no CA legal options available i'm going to have to go with a roots style blower.

Kenne Bell's are 50 state legal and have a CARB sticker so this is what i'm going with this summer.

Ya I have Long Tubes also, but I don't have to Smog until 2020! I'm just going swap some SRT shorty headers and mid pipes when I have to Smog test.

And as far as cam goes.............go a with a Modern Muscle blower cam over a 274. The blower cam is very aggressive even in a N/A set up like mine, but will only produce better results once boost is applied to it.

And lastly, since you're in the Bay Area have you thought about taking your car to Borelli Motor Sports - Auto Repair Services - San Jose, CA ??? They have done all the work on my car and Aaron the head mechanic is a master at tuning these Gen 3 HEMI vvt motors.

Reactions: TheQ!
#12 · (Edited)
How's it going bro! Yeah I was aware about the procharger not being carb legal which might cause a hassle once smog time comes, the kb looks amazing but I just don't think I would enjoy it as much as the procharger having instant torque is great but without traction it just seems better to go with the procharger were it comes at higher rpms. All I hear is great work from borelli motorsports, and I know someone with a rt challenger d1 procharger who is pushing 710 thanks to the shop, they quoted me about 2,700 for install and tune which honestly is a lot more than expected, I was under the impression that install would be around $1500 and a dyno tune another $500, I might just have my good friend who owns a shop and has done everything on my car to install the procharger and then take the car to borelli for a dyno tune and later get internals forged, would it be safe to run the d1 at 8lbs of boost on a stock block?

#15 ·
@redbull I know it's harder now and days but there's always illegal smogs too bro ? I'm going to contact them again about installation by boy with the 700+ rt said Jason would look or for me. So I'll keep you updated, the kenne bell me looks orgasmic though I almost bought it just because it looks so nice! But power isn't much if you can't get traction

#16 ·
@redbull I know it's harder now and days but there's always illegal smogs too bro ?
Indeed......:thumbsup: Like I said I don't have to smog it until 2020, but if you know somebody who'll look the other way and is willing to do it..........:bigthumb:

I'm going to contact them again about installation my boy with the 700+ rt said Jason would look out for me. So I'll keep you updated, the kenne bell me looks orgasmic though I almost bought it just because it looks so nice! But power isn't much if you can't get traction
Jason is the man!!........Good luck with your choice, keep us updated.

#18 ·
Alright guys so planning on finalizing everything tomorrow through Arrington Performance, so far it's a d1 tuner kit, injectors, fuel pump, map sensor, 180 thermostat, 3.5 pulley along with a stronger belt that would be effective with the pulley chosen. All in all its around 6,500. Unfortunately Borelli Motorsport is charging way too much for install 2g is a lot, TPS Motorsports located in San Jose quoted me 1,500 install and probably a additional $500 for a dyno tune. I am unsure about them and will do my research, or just have my friend who owns a shop and has plenty of experience install it for same price only reason why I was avoiding him is because he doesn't have a dyno and I would prefer everything done at once. Anyways my question now would be how safe would it be to install everything than drive it untune? Obviously I wouldn't push the car but from point A to B it's about a 40minute drive, I would have to get on the freeway 65mph at most to get there to the shop and have it tuned. Any opinions or does anyone have experience with TPS Motorsports?

#22 ·
Nice man! You going go with TPS?? I was looking at TPS on their website and it looks like they don't do many Mopar's? I'm not saying they're not any good, but tuning 3rd Gen Hemi's is an art and Aaron from Borelli's knows what he's doing.

Are you going get a Blower Cam? You have long tubes?

Whichever way you go keep us updated I can't wait to see the results.:thumbsup:

#25 ·
This upcoming Tuesday my procharger finally arrives! Yes! Planning on immediately taking my car to my friends shop then starting the installation, unfortunately shops are booked to April for a dyno tune, so I reached out to Johan and will work with him on a email tune definitely not my first option but I heard Johan is great and if I can get a tune that will still give me the performance and not have to worry about something blowing up, then that's fine with me.

#26 ·
Okay y'all some delays and what not so things did not go as planned (obviously) but the car has been in the shop since yesterday, only issues so far have been the inter cooler bracket not fitting and I believe it's because they send me the one used for the manuals, calling procharger tomorrow to get that resolved, also the aftermarket belt I had purchased to avoid the infamous belt slippage is too small but easy fix. Other than that everything seems to be working out great, just hope to have them ship that bracket for the auto quick.

#27 ·
Right on man. You get your car custom dyno tuned yet? If so what were the final numbers?

#29 · (Edited)
Update: Some minor issues still, was missing the map sensor adapter, dip stick to check the procharger oil, the vacuum T for the bov. I'm not sure why so many issues went wrong with my package, upgrading to the d1 and race bov really caused problems haha. Anyways, Friday car will be up and running on the 1st Johan tune that was send to me. Still will need to data log, and the following week I am installing the boost and air/fuel gauge pods.

Attachments

#30 ·
More delays sigh, so as posted I needed the map sensor adapter to finish everything, Thursday we received the package through fed ex overnight, first of that itself was a mess we had to hunt the driver down because on the website it said delivered and signed but me and the mechanic didn't receive anything, after a hour we were able to get in touch with the driver and receive the package come to find out procharger send me the adapter for a 6.4! So now I wait for another delivery from them, and my mechanic went on vacation till Friday. Overall this has been so stressful! So many delays, if you go with procharger and a tuner kit, please make sure everything is correct to avoid delays and have it done within a week as it should.

#31 · (Edited)
That sucks, I just finished my procharger install along with meth injection, shaved intake and custom coil pack covers. I also installed a 3.4 inch pulley over the 3.7 inch that came with it for 8lbs of boost.

#32 ·
It came out great! Yeah my package with the appropriate map sensor and adapter is coming in tomorrow, fed ex was delayed due to weather conditions. I'm running a 3.5 pulley, will go for 8lbs of boost once I can dyno tune the car but as of now with Johan we have agreed on 6lbs through a email tune. I'm trying to gather some information for some drop in forged rods/pistons and crankshaft to up the boost. I still need the boost and air/fuel gauges done as well.

#34 ·
Good job. I still need to finish the tune with johon. Waiting till I get the SOLO exhaust system installed. Should be here Monday. I'll put my RT on the quickjack and have that done in a day.

Did you get the helical gear set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#36 ·
Thank you! It definitely is a big improvement in power, I've been going back and forth with Johan but we're almost there just need to get better numbers with air/fuel. At wot it reads 10s so we're walking on that. But overall I'm loving the car and the sound is addicting! Very smooth power band no issues at all with traction, I have 295s in the rear. I just love how the car still feels stock till you hammer it and notice how fast you're going lol.

#37 ·
The procharger still brings a smile to my face, had some small issues with a hose popping off and causing car to go into limp mode. But everything has been fixed and I am now actually having some ngk iridium spark plugs installed a long with a snow methanol kit. After everything I'll be running the Johan tune till next month once I have time to take the car to a dyno for a 100% tune/numbers

#38 ·
Im getting stationed back in Cali and I will have to deal with this smog issue. Any suggestions? Your car looks sick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.