Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Supercharger Addition - Need Your Help!

7K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  VQ4NFO 
#1 ·
Hello folks, I've had my 2013 Challenger R/T Classic since its birth. Since then, I've added the Mopar CAI and Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust. Now I'm looking for a bigger gain, so my interest in a Supercharger is starting to peak.

Here's where you come in. I'm fairly new on the topic, so I'd love to hear from folks that have done it before. Difficulty, total costs, other necessary upgrades, best brands, reliability, etc. Any information at all helps and it seems like I've come to the right place. Hope y'all can help. Thanks!

#8 ·
FYI to all,

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Edelbrock system yesterday. I plan on installing during the weekend of October 15-17. The Edelbrock system includes the fuel pump.

Modern Muscle,

I plan to run the canned tune until my next visit to Greensboro NC and will call in advance to schedule a custom tune.

A few questions. Can you tune the car with the SCT tuner that Edelbrock supplies?
Average cost? Average HP/TQ gain on otherwise stock car.?

#3 ·
Look up the difference between roots, twin screw & centrifugal superchargers. See what are the pros/cons of each. Make a list of what your goals/priorities are and see which one lines up with your goals. Talk to people who have actually supercharged. I have not. But this is what I am doing to prepare. Find out what is included with each kit & read the instruction manuals. Those are helpful

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: 666SRT
#4 ·
I have decided on the Edelbrock for my 13 R/T. Plug and play, looks like a factory install, and made in the good ol' USA. I will post pics and details after I complete the installation in mid October.

#5 ·
Most of the kits come complete, with everything you will need for the install. You will have to pin the harmonic balancer. Really that is the most single difficult part ( and its not difficult if your mechanically inclined ). I like the Edelbrock kit for looks and as a good all around kit. If you think you may build up the motor in the future, then you may want to look at a Kenne Bell.
I have installed 2, one on my 09 and another on my 2010. The canned tunes will get you by, but you should have it dyno tuned for best results. I also recommend a vacum gauge and a A/F gauge to keep tabs on what is going on.

Reactions: MYFIRSTMOPAR
#6 ·
The guy that installed my supercharger said he was impressed with how whipple make their superchargers and how easier they are to install than some of the others that he installed. The only other things that I got to go with the sc is a fuel pump from modern muscle for $219 and a LMI blower cai. A course you Wil need a a\f and boost gauge.

#7 ·
I have a Procharger on my 6.1. I make over 500 rwhp and the car feels like an animal. Do it right the first time and make sure u have enough fuel to support your goal. I went with an Arrington fuel pump and 60lb injectors. Get a colder spark plug and a nice tune from Johan or another reputable tuner. I have a wide band a/f gauge, boost gauge and fuel gauge to keep tabs on everything.

#12 ·
They used to come with a diablo tuner but just recently switched over to the SCT. This is from Edelbrock, the factory in California. There may still be some left on the shelves with other vendors that still have the Diablo tuner. I called and asked if I could get a Diablo factory tune when I got my blower and was told that everything was switched over to SCT. The tech stated that given the number of Hemi vs GM & Ford products being sold they decided to switch completely over. They do not carry the diablo tuner at the factory.

#20 · (Edited)
Does the Intune that it comes with have tunes for 5.7 and 6.4? I recently bought one and still waiting on it to be shipped. I was looking at their check list thing and it says includes ALL tunes on the tuner and was just curious.
Im hoping their both on their so I can lightly run it until I get it dialed in since I have headers.

#24 ·
Not to hijack, but I'm not sure if the forum needs another opinion based supercharger topic. So I figured I'd ask my question here lol.

Why do so many people post about the IAT's for the KB 2.8L. I guess I just want to know why is it a major concern. Or to those KB guys, why wasn't it a concern for you?

Does the whipple 2.9 have bad IATs as well?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#25 ·
orrwhat, when you buy a new SC kit, there isn't a tune on the supplied tuner. You have to send a copy of your stock tune to the SC company, who then modifies it and sends it back via email. You then download it to your car, which swaps the stock tune for the SC tune.
If you purchased a used SC w/ tuner, I'd bet you would need to contact the SC company, coordinate with their tech department and also send a copy of your stock tune to the SC company so they can modify it. The problem may arise, if that tuner for a 6.4 is not "unmarried", it is worthless to you and you will need to get a new tuner. I would also bet the SC company will charge you to modify your stock tune, but, that would be between you and them.

#28 · (Edited)
Edelbrock Supercharger Install Complete

The Edelbrock supercharger is installed!! Total time spent was 12 hours. We took our time and double checked everything. One hour was spent trouble shooting the intercooler water pump. The coolant did not circulate. Turned out to be a connector on the fuse box supplied with the kit was faulty. The lower back seat began as a struggle. My friend took a piece of flat metal about three inches wide and two feet long, wrapped with a towel and then inserted under the seat cushion about 4-5 inches inboard and the seat released without any problem. Just got home about 30 minutes ago so I will post a pic or two tomorrow after I clean the car. It was a 15 minute drive home and the car pulls like a freight train. Torque is instant. I plan to install the smaller 3 inch pulley, throttle body, Airraid CAI and dyno tune at Arrington next spring. I am very happy with the performance improvement and definitely recommend a supercharger. :grin2:

#29 ·
Adding a few pics.

Attachments

#30 ·
Congrats on the install! When you get the 3" pulley and dyno tune ask Arrington if they can tune for part throttle boost. Johan did something to my tune so when I just barely get on it (Not full throttle) and it registers 1-2 psi, the AFR takes a nose dive to the lower 11's.

#33 ·
Thanks J,

You have been very helpful with your information. I plan to mod my car very similar to yours. Much appreciated!!

#32 ·
I did not realize that tuning for part throttle boost was part of the norm now. It was just reported on the Modern Mopar forum a few months ago. Most dyno tuning is just Open loop tuning. Closed loop part throttle tuning takes quite a bit of time to dial it in.

He is in good hands with Arrington. Sounds like a commercial.LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.