Timing Chain & parts recall P01 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Forced Induction From Blowers to Turbos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Timing Chain & parts recall P01

Just got back from dealer. I have a Magnuson S/C, the dealer's service manager called their main mechanic which in turn said that the S/C is in the way. They did not want to work on it because the chain cover will be lifted out of the engine bay and the S/C is in the way, and they are reluctant to do it considering something might go wrong. Now what am I supposed to do? Any Ideas. I got the recall last week. I have a auto 2010 R/T.

10 R/T Classic | Auto | Torred | Sunroof | Tinted Windows | Hood Struts | Chrome Hood Scoop Inserts | Stealth Splash Guards | MagFlow Catbacks | K&N Drop In | Maggie 4/13/13 | AeroForce Dual Gauges + Upper Console Pod | B/T Black (Old School Challenger R/T Script) Door Sills | Mopar Pedal Covers + T-Handle | Jina's Embroidery | Red Piping Interior Edges | S.S. RT Door Badge, Side Console Trim Plate, Strut Tower Brace Covers + A/C Vents |Rear Camera | Red R/T Brake Covers |Got car 11/09.

Last edited by diverjose; 03-17-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 03:05 PM

MDS is disabled in your tune,I wouldn't have the recall done since MDS seems to be the cause of the failures.

2009 Challenger R/T Auto
MODS- Kooks Long Tubes,Solo Catback, Predator,3.91 Getrag,3200 Stall
12.3@110
The Following User Says Thank You to GP70 For This Useful Post:
salvy59 (03-18-2014)
#3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 05:09 PM

How long did you run MDS before disabling it, there's the chance the chain has been weakened and could be prone to premature failure.
The Following User Says Thank You to 09 Challenger R/T For This Useful Post:
salvy59 (03-18-2014)
#4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 12:44 AM

Are they not required to do it? I have no idea honestly, but my thoughts are that they have to do to a recall. They may have to take off the front bumper and radiator, but still.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 01:07 AM

Garage
Put some money in the guys pocket make sure he takes his time!!!

"You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try"
#6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 05:25 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This makes me nervous too. I have seen some pics on Facebook of a guy who just had his done (stock intake though), they did not remove the front of the car. Looks like they did all the work from the top and bottom of the vehicle.

not only am I worried about them working on it, I am worried about potential problems from them moving or altering the work I did for the S/C install, the tune that is loaded into the car from Magnuson if they flash the cars system or anything else that may go wrong.

2009 Challenger R/T-Deep Water Blue Pearl
Magnuson Supercharger, Fender Pull CAI, Fuel Rail Auto Meter 0-100 LF PSI Gauge, Borla ATAK, Hood Struts, Petty SRT Strut Brace, Challenger Mats, Challenger Stainless/Carbon Fiber Sills,Hotchkis Hood Pins,SRT Hood Scoops,Speedlogix 3 Gauge Pillar,Auto Meter A/F, Boost and Fuel PSI Gauges, 35% Tint all around
[/url]
#7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:24 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 Challenger R/T View Post
How long did you run MDS before disabling it, there's the chance the chain has been weakened and could be prone to premature failure.
MDS for about 15k miles. I put the S/C on last April and now have about 19.5k miles. I have been running the hell out of this car. Now my mind is not in a good place. The mechanic (dealer) was saying something like the S/C needs to be unbolted to pull the chain cover up out of the engine bay. I really do not like that picture.

Last edited by diverjose; 03-19-2014 at 06:28 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:31 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder View Post
Are they not required to do it? I have no idea honestly, but my thoughts are that they have to do to a recall. They may have to take off the front bumper and radiator, but still.
Most likely they are required, but probably have to pay for the extra work around the S/C. I rather have a trusted shop that does S/C installs do it. Wonder if they (dealer) are reluctant, they can just give me the parts so that I can get them installed.???

Last edited by diverjose; 03-19-2014 at 06:28 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP70 View Post
MDS is disabled in your tune,I wouldn't have the recall done since MDS seems to be the cause of the failures.
I was able to talk to a Mike, he works for Chrysler and seems to be a contact person for them. I told him what I went through and said he would call the dealership's service manager and see what is up. If they are not willing to do it, he would see if another dealer would. He also said that since I do not use MDS anymore, that it might not be needed but some owners of S/C still insist and it was done for them. I told him that the location of the recall is in such a critical location that I would like it done. He seemed not overly concerned since the problem happens (timing chain failure) at a low percentage. He is supposed to call me back sometime in the near future with some solution. I'll try to update then.

Last edited by diverjose; 03-18-2014 at 11:33 AM.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 Challenger R/T View Post
From what I understand, the tensioner and the chain guide is what fails, in other words can crack then fail, then the chain will or can be damaged then motor damage can or will happen. I ran MDS for about 15k miles, now have 19.5k and ride it harder now that it has the S/C. The question will always be, has it already cracked or am I safe now that the MDS is no longer in play to do any damage to the tensioner and guide.

Last edited by diverjose; 03-18-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Forced Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode