Dodge Challenger Forum banner

392 swap into my 2014 RT

58K views 127 replies 43 participants last post by  Curtisville Challenger's 
#1 · (Edited)
Well a few weeks ago I started the process of a 392 swap into my 2014 rt 6 speed. I found a clean short block out of a wrecked 2013 srt grand cherokee with only 12k miles and stole it for $2800.

To save money on labor I pulled the motor and transmission my self. However Ost dyno in Pittsburgh is assembling the motor for me. Id of done it myself but I just don't have the time with how busy my job is right now. Ost will also be tuning my car as well!

I accumulated all the parts needed and thankfully most of the 5.7 vvt parts swap right over to the 392. I also went with a comp 274 cam and some pac 1219 springs, as well as phaser limiter. All of my current bolt-ons will swap right over to the 392. All my current mods are in my signature. I highly recommend however buying a new oil pump and water pump just as insurance.

Also I was already running a 392 intake manifold on my 5.7 using a MSD rpm window switch , so for the time being that's how I plan on running it on the 392 as well.

My goodies
Auto part Fashion accessory

Labeled my all my harness connections
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Here's the new motor
Motor vehicle Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part

Out with my little 5.7 lol
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Car

My builder mike and his son at Ost dyno buttoned the 392 up.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive engine part

Now I'm just waiting to pick it up and drop her in. Stay tuned for updates throughout next week!

See less See more
#2 ·
Engine bay shot
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Reactions: ssmith and ghostrt
#3 ·
Nice! I've never been in the market for a 392 engine but if I was looking for one and purchased for under 3K - I think I'd be rather happy!:guiness:

Reactions: Justin14
#4 ·
Yea I got referred to a guy in jersey that had this 6.4 out of a wrecked grand cherokee. I got lucky. The 6.4 looks like it was barely broken in before it was wrecked lol
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor

Reactions: ghostrt
#7 ·
Very nice man. I can't wait to hear your take on all of it when it's finished.

#8 ·
Yea I'm pretty excited. To troll some of the local guys I've been telling them I'm doing a cam only build on my 5.7. None of them really know much about mopar so it's going to be fun making some cash on these guys racing lol. I just got done convincing my factory 5.7 engine cover to fit my 392 intake manifold lol

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Metal

#9 ·
Yea I'm pretty excited. To troll some of the local guys I've been telling them I'm doing a cam only build on my 5.7. None of them really know much about mopar so it's going to be fun making some cash on these guys racing lol. I just got done convincing my factory 5.7 engine cover to fit my 392 intake manifold lol

View attachment 394730
Go find Farmtruck and Azn

#10 ·
Haha that'd be fun! I'd get drug but it'd be fun none the less

#11 ·
Just made it home from the engine builder with some precious cargo. The fun part of going back in starts tonight

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

Reactions: teddyp
#13 ·
Yea those were my old stock rear tires. I have no clue why they got so bald so fast haha. Mike at Ost is a very very capable tuner. He has done a lot of vvt cars

#14 ·
waiting on my buddies to show up so I have some extra muscle sliding her back in.

Vehicle Car Hood Personal luxury car Automobile repair shop

#15 ·
waiting on my buddies to show up so I have some extra muscle sliding her back in.

View attachment 397098
Id get some lowering springs for the front! Cudo's for removing the engine on your 2014 35k car all in interest of HP! Bring it back to the dealer and tell them you want to know why your car is so much faster now?

Reactions: c26bt34c
#18 ·
Thank you! I've taken some heat from some of my other car group friends but honestly like you said anyone can go buy a new 392 rt scat pack, Id much rather build mine

#19 ·
Just an update, got the motor in the bay and the mounts are snugged up to the k member. I attempted to put it in through the top with the long tube headers on it still but there was no way it would fit. So I'll have to install them from the bottom. It's getting closer
Motor vehicle Vehicle Engine Auto part Car

#20 ·
Just an update, got the motor in the bay and the mounts are snugged up to the k member. I attempted to put it in through the top with the long tube headers on it still but there was no way it would fit. So I'll have to install them from the bottom. It's getting closer
View attachment 398138
That sucks. I thought the headers would have cleared. Would have been so much easier. At least your on the down hill side though.

#21 ·
Yea I was hoping they would have but even with my load leveler there was no way I could get a good enough angle to slide it in.

#22 ·
Reminds me about a girl I used to know.

#24 ·
Awesome thread! Props for having the gonads to do an engine swap on a low mile Challenger.

I think you are going to see more of these types of modifications on Challengers. I've worked on a lot of makes and models, and these LX cars are very user-friendly when it comes to modding them. Someone eventually will use this thread as reference.

#25 · (Edited)
Well I'm about 80% there. Just need to slide the trans back In and re connect all the sensors on the trans and I'll be done. Hopefully I'll be posting a start up video this evening.

Also as a side note I have learned tonight that the 5.7 dip stick will not work in a 392 dip stick tube as the 392 tube is longer. I would also like to restate how much I hate doing headers on these cars, what a pain! Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Motor vehicle

#26 ·
Got the transmission in and hooked up. Primed the oil pump as well. Waiting on a start up tune from my tuner and I'll post videos

Reactions: teddyp
#28 ·
Nope she runs and idles. For some reason the forums won't let me post a video from my IPhone. I just had to post it to you tube

In this video it's with open headers so don't mind if it sounds a bit loud

http://youtu.be/pR5GnR5LVWI

Reactions: THEM0DIFIER
#30 ·
I just changed it to public

#31 ·
Nope the 5.7 computer and the 6.4 on are the same minus the tune inside of them. My tuner based the start up tune off the 5.7 calibration

#32 ·
Backed her out of the garage earlier. My new Mickey Thompson sc-5 wheels with my mopar stage 1 spring kit. She looks so good now!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car

Reactions: THEM0DIFIER
#33 ·
Man real cool. Your staying as a R/T right? Congrats.

#38 ·
Yep staying R/t as far as all the locals where I'm at are concerned it's just a rt with a cam and bolt on's lol

#35 ·
Very cool! So is it done done or still some finishing touches? As far as the run - I'm guessing it runs just like a SRT? I dont see any reason for it to run rough - all stock right - no crazy cam?

If I still had a 5.7 car and found an 392 for that price! I'd be all over it (and this thread)!

Reactions: Justin14
#36 ·
Very cool! So is it done done or still some finishing touches? As far as the run - I'm guessing it runs just like a SRT? I dont see any reason for it to run rough - all stock right - no crazy cam?

If I still had a 5.7 car and found an 392 for that price! I'd be all over it (and this thread)!

It still needs to hit the dyno. I'm taking it to my tuner in 2 weeks. It's got a comp 274 cam in it. There was no way I was doing all that work without putting a big cam in it. I should have another revision heading to me that will bring the idle down and give her that lope we all love.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.