Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Alright..6.4 Cam..

48K views 96 replies 35 participants last post by  JS1977 
#1 ·
I have searched the web high and low about putting the 6.4 cam in the 5.7. I've looked through multiple challenger, charger and truck forums and im hoping to just get all the info in one place for me and anyone else who is interested. I know it does work with the limiter, need the springs as well.. do the lifters need to change? Looking for anything that will need to be bought for the install..

And please!? someone tell me they have dyno numbers or any kind of results on this lol I've read over 4 hours on this subject and am barely better of than when I started!

Thanks in advanced for the help guys!

#2 ·
Comments from a different forum:

A 5.7 car just left Arrington yesterday with a 8# pound boost magnacharger and the new 6.4 cam and made 528rwhp. The 6.4 cam is showing big gains with no cam phasers. This cam is $75.00, super cheap mod right there compared to all cams out right now.

That cam is really impressing them, looks about like 40 rwhp as a stand alone item. That would be a huge increase for the cost, beats the 300.00 to 700.00 cam set ups by a mile. Just make sure if you order one from chrysler to get the right one, there is a automatic/mds one and the stick one.

Headers, custom tune and this cam could give a NA car a good little increase. The cam specs are .577 intake .537 exhaust.Duration is286/288.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Comments from a different forum:

A 5.7 car just left Arrington yesterday with a 8# pound boost magnacharger and the new 6.4 cam and made 528rwhp. The 6.4 cam is showing big gains with no cam phasers.
Hope this helps.
That would be me. I can't speak to the changes specific to the cam swap alone as I had new heads, headers, blower, etc all at once. But man does it sound mean and move quickly. Very happy.

#3 ·
And now the price will go from $75.00 to at least $575.00. Same thing happened with the Bullet mustang upper intakes, people found out that it was a really cheap and easy upgrade and a month later the price had quadrupled. The price for the SRT8 suspension has also been creeping up it's gone form $450.00 up to $485.00 on moparsupercenter for no reason other than it's becoming a popular mod.

#10 ·
I see at another Dodge parts website the cam is 64$. The valve springs have different part numbers, and they look to be around 12$ each. I would assume they fit in the 5.7 just swapping, but we all know where assuming gets you. Maybe a quality aftermarket spring is needed?

I work about 3 miles from moparsupercenter and I will stop by tomorrow on my lunch break and see if I can pick one up for about the same price. They also have the best price on the 392 chin spoiler. I might get that as well.

I am in no big hurry to put in the 6.4 cam but I will have it for when the Diablo tuning comes available and I know a little more about the springs. My wife will **** a brick when she sees me tearing down the new car.

#9 ·
Yes!!! Heck yea part numbas if you got em please.

#13 ·
Thanks, and does anyone have the 5.7 cams specs?

#14 ·
After doing some good ol' fashioned homework, I see that the lifters have a different part number from the 5.7 to the 6.4. The keepers, retainers, and valve seals have the same part number, so the 6.4 springs should be a drop in upgrade.

One thing I thought of is the valves. The 5.7 valves are cheap. They are less than 3$ for an intake valve vs 72$ for a 6.4 valve. Is the 5.7 valve robust enough for the added spring pressure? Does the 6.4 spring have similar spring pressure but is set up for the added lift to prevent coil bind? BlackRT2011 said he had new heads installed, so who knows what was done to them.

If the 5.7 lifters are not compatible with the 6.4 cam (which they could be, but they do have different part numbers), that would add about 500$ to the swap. At that point, a correctly spec'd aftermarket cam would make more sense financially unless you wanted to keep it all OEM parts.

#17 ·
I'm fortunate I guess, we have a pretty good dealer in our small town. They change my oil for less than it would cost me to change it myself and give me pretty good discounts on parts. It turns into an event when I bring the car in, all the mechanics want to see what's new, and go for a ride. Probably replace my Chevy truck with a Dodge from them eventually.

#18 ·
I read on a RAM site that the 6.4 springs will not work, you have to use aftermarket springs. It didnt say what type just that the 6.4 springs wont work. So just the 6.4 cam and aftermarket spring set up will work, also that a cam phaser is highly recomended but not required. I would think a tune would also be required. Its funny how answers to this are hard to come by, as are any dyno numbers or vender responses. $60-70 for the cam, $180-200 for the springs, $100 for the cam phaser (to be safe) and a tune, approx $370 for the all the parts and then the price of a tune. Compared to $811 for an HHP cam or $300 for an Arrington regrind cam (both prices are for cam only). Anyway I'd like to see more info on this also.

#20 ·
The RAM apparently didn't need the phaser and said his stock tune was good until high RPM. So driving it to get it a tune shouldn't be a problem. I don't think anyone with a challenger has completed this yet?

They are saying PAC 1220 springs or Manley Nextek Springs ( 221431-16).

Here are the cam specs I grabbed from another site post :
Eagle Cam Specs:
188/205 @ .050"
243/267 @ .006"
.312"/.304" lobe lift
.500"/.486" valve lift
115 LSA

6.4L Cam Specs:
215/221 @ .050"
.353"/.333" lobe lift
.574"/.541" valve lift
121 LSA
108 ICL

#25 ·
Hey John Parker 03, dont forget the parts list, type of valve springs, cam phaser (with or without) and prices. From what Ive read it shouldnt be any different than any other cam change/spring swap, however you may need a special Hemi spring tool autozone might even have it for loan. Still no venders piping in on this, odd!

#27 · (Edited)
I am all for budget builds after all we did the article about the poor mans SRT in Mopar Action and developed the forged drop in pistons to save people money, But when it comes down to HP per dollar I do not see the value in this mod, you are saving $700.00 but sacrificing 60++ RWHP potential.

To the OP please do a before and after Dyno as well so everyone can see the results.

Thanks

#28 ·
How do we know it's 60++ hp? I have yet to see an dyno of just a cam, they are all cam, headers, ported heads, throttle body and tune then claim 108 hp gain. So again what does adding just a cam, springs and tune really get you hp wise? This is where the $700++ savings comes in, do I spent $400-$811 for just a cam that only adds 30-40hp or do I spent $70 ,for just a cam, that adds 30-40hp. Also that 108hp package is $5500 (-$1500 for heads return), so basically around $4000, and the cam that come with that kit compares like this- duration @.050": 225/228 (intake/exhaust), valve lift: .586"/.593" (intake/exhaust), LSA 114 deg. The 6.4 cam- duration @.050": 215/221 (intake/exhaust), valve lift: .574"/.541" (intake/exhaust), LSA 108.

#29 ·
You can also look at like this do I spend $370 in parts, for the 6.4 cam set up to gain say 40hp, or do I spend $800-$1400 for long tube headers and gain maybe 20hp. Everybody wants to save money and why not, the price of performance parts for these cars is fricken crazy.

#31 ·
What I was trying to say was I do not think the 6.4 Cam is going to produce the gains you guys think it will. Is it going to be worth the time and labor for 20-30hp if that? and since you do not have the active runners I think its going to be a dog in the low end. One of the reasons I was thinking about this was the VVT re-grind cams that some people where doing and the results where less then stellar.
I will talk to Dave about it and see what he thinks. This is just my opinion not that of Modern Muscle as a company.

#32 ·
We are going make a trip the first of December to dyno the car to see where it is now. Since the holidays are around the corner I am having to use some of my car fund to buy gifts. Ive been looking at valve springs but havent decided which ones I want to use yet. Im wanting to get valve springs, new timing set, and a phaser limiter. I know the 6.4 cam isnt the best compared to others but a guy can always upgrade later on. I will let everyone know when the build starts. But its safe to say that it wont kick off until mid December.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

#34 ·
Apparently Arrington has been doing this swap (cam, springs, tune) for a while now, and is good for about 40hp, and say its make way more hp and TQ than their regrind. Who knows for sure until we see a before and after dyno though, but if this is the case then and they have been doing it where are the dyno sheets and why havent they piped in on these post, are they not a supporting vender on here?

#39 ·
LOL IM waiting also .....................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.