Dodge Challenger Forum banner

putting a 1960s-1970's 426 or 440 HEMI (carbureted) into my 2010 challenger V6

17K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  3boystoys 
#1 ·
Hello everybody. Im new to the forum and would like any help I can get on this build.

Im going to be putting a 1960's-1970's HEMI with a carburetor into my 2010 dodge challenger. My challenger is a V6.

I need to know if the new engine (426 or 440) will fit into the 2010 v6 challenger. It should considering its the same chass as the HEMI versions.

Let me know what you think and give me any ideas or thoughts about this. want all your comments before I start this project.

I will be selling ALL my V6 parts that I DONT need. Including the 3.5L V6, trans, drive line, rear end.... everything that I will NOT need.

I will buy any good running 426 or 440 engine and trane or Iwill trade all my 2010 challenger parts.

Im going to do this swap no matter what so please help me if you can. A classic motor with a carburetor in a new body challenger in my plan and that is what Im going to do. The thought of the sound and feeling of a 440 with a heavy CAM and dual exhaust coming out of a new body challenger is what care dreams are made of, well my car dreams at the least. >:)

See less See more
#2 ·
I need to know if the new engine (426 or 440) will fit into the 2010 v6 challenger. It should considering its the same chass as the HEMI versions.
The current hemi in new Challengers isn't the same as the old 60's 426 hemi or 440 wedge motors.

It would be cheaper/make more sense to it sell the 2010 V6 car & buy a 2009/10 R/T then build up the 5.7L hemi in it.

#3 ·
426 hemi stroked to 528 or 572 would be a monster
a regular old school 426 hemi would be decent if set up properly.
(the factory redline was 7000rpm they can run 8000 without too much trouble lol)

ray barton sells 528 strokers off the shelf for $18000 carbs to pan ready to install and runs on pump gas
they have different models in the 700-900hp range

#5 ·
Track only car?

Is this project meant to be a track only car? You realize the old school motors won't even remotely come close to passing emissions, so depending on where you live that could be a show stopper if you plan to drive the car on the street.

An A, E or even a B-body would be a lighter (and faster) platform than the modern Challenger. The old platforms also only need to meet 1970 era emissions, so they can be legal on the street with a 426 or 440 engine. That is the big advantage of the old cars, significantly lighter and far less strict emissions. Putting an old school engine in a new car gets you a heavier platform (with more street comfort) but it can never be legally driven on the street.

#7 ·
I also like the idea of old school motor in the new body. But in reality it would never work. Besides the physical dimension problems, none of the electronics would ever work. Everything is integrated.

I can't even imagine the cost, but it would be insane, as well as the amount of time and resources needed.

I agree with one of the other posts. Get an SRT-8 or R/T and modify that. Compare the stats from a 70 Hemi Cuda with the new generation and you will see what I mean.

However, If you still decide to do this I wish you luck and I would love to see it if it worked.

#8 ·
If i was going to do comething like this, I would send my car to petty garage and have them build the suspension, brakes and install a fire breathing modern 426. Then you would have a beauty to he proud of. Or call Chip Foose.

#9 ·
One word why it won't work - CANbus.

CANbus runs everything electrical/electronic in the car. Lights, radio, auto transmission, inputs, etc.

For the amount of money you would have to spend, you'd be better off and save money by buying a compatible frame and build a car from the frame up.

#10 ·
It would be a body off chassis build.
First you will need a jig to keep everything straight. Need to build one. Cut the whole floor out of the car and buy a chassis kit and really,,,build a car. By the end you are really just using the body anyway.
Probally could use the rack and pinion up front and the rest goes to the scrap yard.
To get an idea, Look up google building a pro mod. Get a start there.
The cost I know for fact,,,, would be anywhere from the cheap side of 125,000 to 250,000k to build. That would get you down the road/track.
We have a member doing that right now, building a 10.5 outlaw challenger. First class top shelf everything. Only he is using the modern Hemi as the rules call for.
However if you have a thought of just sliding a motor and trans in and call it good. It wont work. The trans and drive shaft tunnel are to small and wont work. Fuel system, electrical. Oh, did you want AC in the car ?
Why I said you have to cut the whole floor out if the car. And I did mention the cost.
Wasnt kidding either. Then you find a that a chassis built car on the street falls apart. Just watch Drag Week and see the track cars being run on the street, most fall apart. Your not the first guy who wanted to do this. I had already done my share years ago. Had a mopar 440 in a 67 chevell, I did a 427 chevy in a 70 Duster. Tight !!
Didnt have to worry bout EPA BS back then. Didnt have power windows or AC, heated seats, closed fuel system, computers running everything. So much different.
Good luck and show us how its coming along and welcome to the board.
Flattop

#11 · (Edited)
.....And THpppppttt!! The guy never came back!

I am a big fan of classic cars. I love the simplicity of a carburetor and an ignition system without a computer. I also love the comfort of newer cars, so I can see the appeal of the OPs idea. IF emissions compliance wasn't an issue, this is doable. Lets say the Op lives in a country where anything is allowed. You could probably stuff a stroked 440 in the engine bay since it is narrower than a 426 HEMI by a fair amount. If you are handy with a welder, you could fabricate an engine cradle. The entire front suspension and steering could even be retained if you're willing to custom fab an oil system, maybe a dry sump if necessary. The classic 727 3 speed automatic is actually smaller than any modern transmission, so it should fit in the tunnel with ZERO cutting or patching.
The rear suspension and axle assembly could be replaced with a custom fabbed Dana 60 if you want something strong enough to hold up to the torque.
The guages could be replaced with a custom made panel with aftermarket stuff. Forget the HVAC system though. Not sure of the windshield wipers, turn signals and brake lights since I've never been as good with electrical stuff as I wish I were.
In summary, all this is doable for less than the $100,000 I read as long as YOU are handy building custom stuff.

#13 ·
There is no driveshaft tunnel to speak of in the modern challenger, period. A 4 link travels xxx to Y and theres just not the room. Or any other live rear end. Why so many keep the axles set up and do the 9inch ford or other sheet metal rear end keeping it in a cradle so the drive shaft dont have to travel up and down. A turbo 400 fits right nice in the challenger.
Any way you go its a Very extensive amount of work. Been under a few with a tape measure.
FlatTop

#15 · (Edited)
WHY? Tons of money to have 1960's tech? Bet it wouldn't pass modern emissions without tons of work. That was one of the problems with those engines, one of the reasons the modern one have 2 spark plugs (as well as many other upgrades). Variable valve timing alone is worth getting a modern one. And as the poster above stated, you have to really gut the car to do what you want, why not get a 392 SRT and sell the 6 banger, you'll be money ahead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.