Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2012 R/T with a 6.4 Cam installed

191K views 398 replies 104 participants last post by  mcm95403 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of adding a 6.4 cam to my 2012 R/T with the 5.7 Hemi. Like most of you, I'm a motor head and I want a little more out of my Challenger. I wanted to do a little thread about it so as to help out anyone else curious about adding this modification to their R/T. I'll list the car's factory drivetrain specs and added modifications already done to the car. I'll also add prices for the cam swap the best I can. This isn't a super tight budget mod but it was certainly with the mindset of a budget mod. I haven't had the car dyno'd, but I'm not really concerned with before and after numbers as they can always fluctuate due to numerous reasons. I'm more concerned with track times.

CAR
2012 Challenger R/T
5.7 Hemi
6 speed T 6060 manual
3.92 rear gears

MODIFICATIONS
BBK CAI
BBK 85mm Throttle Body
JBA shortie headers
Diablo Trinity 93oct canned tune
Resonator deleted

Now for the information regarding the cam swap
CAM

6.4L 6 SPD. CAM NON MDS

6.750 PUSHROD 5/16 .210 RADIUS TIP (6.1 W/5.7 HEADS & ST3A CAM)

8.050 PUSHROD 5/16 .210 RADIUS TIP (6.1 W*/5.7 HEADS & ST3A CAM)

ARRINGTON PERFORMANCE 5.7L VALVE SPRING KIT
5.7L - 6.1L HEMI VALVE SPRING
6.1 HEMI Valve Retainers; Steel
VALVE SPRING LOCATORS 1.311
.315 X .472 VITON VALVE SEAL

PRICES

CAM $72.22 (part + shipping)

Spring kit $550.00

Rods 6.750(x8) $62.50

Rods 8.050(x8) $62.50

Labor (quote) $800.00 (500/springs) + (300/cam)

Tune (quote) $450.00

TOTAL $2047.22

This may seem high for some and the labor/tuning will fluctuate depending on your area and what shops charge. I'm currently just waiting for the shop to find a tuner they can trust before I have it installed. I will update this once it's installed and show results of what the dyno states and how I personally feel (good or bad) about the modification. Stay tuned...

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Modern Muscle,

PSI Performance Valve Springs
Manley Spring cups
Comp Cam steel retainers

I bought them from Arrington as I was informed that Don would know exactly what I needed for this cam swap. I'm sure people could find this stuff cheaper else where, but I was just focused on getting exactly what I needed. This is why I'm doing this thread as to help others that are looking to do the same thing and possible save a little more then I spent.

#4 ·
Small updated, just wanted to post the brand of certain items.

cam - Mopar 05037379BC

Valve Springs - PSI Performance springs LS 1511ML

Spring cups - Manley 42324-16

Steel Retainers - Comp Cams 761-16

Rods - Arrington Performance

#8 ·
I'm all about the motor. Can't wait to see what you end with.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#12 ·
why would you want to swap a 392 cam in? I would think you would be better to go to someone like comp cams to have one designed for your purposes. any factory cam is not the best performance cam because Dodge has to meet EPA, gas mileage and other factors that an aftermarket cam is not concerned with.

Reactions: Modern Muscle
#14 ·
Is there a list in here of available aftermarket cams for the 2011 and up 5.7's?
what are the stock specs for a 5.7 cam? what is the factory lobe center?

#15 ·
And what's the specs on the 392 cam?

#18 · (Edited)
here are cam specs reported on this site for a 6.1

Intake duration - 205
Exhaust duration- 211
Lift intake/exhaust - .521
LSA-116

this was similar to the specs in my 2001 TA.

I replaced it with a comp cam 232/228 - can't remember the lift ( I think .580) on a 113 LSA.

It was a reverse split cam.

#19 ·
I believe this is the 392 cam specs

Intake Valve:

Opens (BTDC) 36.0 deg
Closes (ATDC) 250.0 deg
Duration: 286.0 deg

Exhaust Valve:

Opens (BTDC) 278 deg
Closes (ATDC) 10 deg
Duration: 288 deg

Valve overlap: 46 deg.

#112 ·
Hi JS1977,

What is the lift of the cam? And what is the duration at .050"? if you have it.

Advertised duration (the above specs) don't mean a lot. Its duration at .050" which allows comparison between cams as different manufactures use a different points to measure their duration. Duration at .050 is when you start to have have significant air flow through the head.

I would think the duration at .050 would be in the 220-230 area.

Does anybody have this info for a stock 6.4 cam?

#21 ·
Plus you paid $70 compared to what $800-900 for a few extra horses? Your good man its the Internet everyone is a pro at everything and know better.

Reactions: ThreePointShooter43
#23 ·
well let me put it this way spend 2k get less then 20hp or spend 3k and get up to 60RWP?

I have yet to see a 392 cam swap make any real power in a 5.7[/QUOTE

I agree, unless it has other mods like a blower. Still then, there is much more HP to get. I stuffed a 392 cam in the hole myself. My reason is, I'm now ready to get on drums and hit the track. I will go to a job specific cam and see what gains can be had.
With cam phaser from Modern Muscle I will get the stick I need to work with this combo.
Personally I just want to know what gain I get from the swap.
FlatTop

#31 ·
I thought all this (or close to it) had been done before and HP was lost not gained?

#32 ·
Yeah I believe it was due to phaser limiters installed and a canned tune, but I'm not 100% sure.

This is why I made this thread. I want to add a better cam to my 5.7 that isn't too radical but improves power. This won't be for everyone ( I don't mod to please people) but it will give anyone interested (or curious) an idea of what parts are needed, where to get them, prices of those parts, and what the gains of this cam swap will be. No more/ no less.

#33 ·
Hey JS1977 I would like to see what gains you get from this, who knows you maybe onto something. Go for it, I for one cannot believe you can buy a cam for so cheap but I looked it and you can. Not sure of the slam on dads toy CAI. Look up test on the frankentake test results, you will be surprised by the outcome and clearly shows that design out does the sealed from the engine bay designs.

#39 · (Edited)
I had my cam installed at true street motorsports in mckinney, and they did a great job with it.
What were your gains from the cam swap? I am thinking about swapping out the cam, I am still doing some research on this topic. [/QUOTE]

Didn't do a pre cam dyno run, so I'm not sure the exact starting point, but I've seen around 325 rwhp stock. But with the cam, srt headers and magnaflow mids, and an lmi hammer, it put down 403 rwhp and 396 rwtq. And that was with my heavy ass viper reps on there.

#40 ·
I'm not trying to be a rude on this thread when other people post their thoughts about this cam swap, but I'm not asking for advice, I know I can get a more radical cam, I don't want that (at least right now). I just want to improve the power band, which I believe this cam will. If it does or doesn't I will let everyone know. This thread is intended to to show what the 6.4 cam cost, what parts are needed, and what the end power gains are (if any).

I'm not doubting anyone knowledge, I'm just not asking for it on this thread as this is a information thread for the 6.4 cam only, thank you.

#41 ·
I'm not trying to be a rude on this thread when other people post their thoughts about this cam swap, but I'm not asking for advice, I know I can get a more radical cam, I don't want that (at least right now). I just want to improve the power band, which I believe this cam will. If it does or doesn't I will let everyone know. This thread is intended to to show what the 6.4 cam cost, what parts are needed, and what the end power gains are (if any).

I'm not doubting anyone knowledge, I'm just not asking for it on this thread as this is a information thread for the 6.4 cam only, thank you.
OK, I really was trying to let you know there are better options. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.