2013 Diablo Tuner is OUT!!!! FINALLY!!!! - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
KJ392's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kyle, Texas
Posts: 1,566
Thanks: 91
Thanked 354 Times in 263 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTru View Post
Yes I know we can only adjust the WOT.

I am getting up to 3 ST on partial throttle but im not too worried about it as its not really hurting anything. I was getting up to 6 or 7 on the stock tune running 89 octane.

I with work, GTA 5 and Battlefield 4 I probably wont get a chance to get a good log in lol.

Mike over at DS said to adjust fuel before reducing timing and that 5% isnt that big of a difference. So I assume you should just keep adding 5% until you are nearly maxed, then pull by a degree or two.
If you're getting ST KNKs in closed loop (partial throttle) you need more octane. Chances are that adding fuel won't get rid of the ST KNKs in open loop (WOT) if you’re getting KNKs during closed loop operation. I would try some 93 octane and see if it reduces the closed loop KNKs. If it does, then adding some fuel in open loop may work. It takes quite a few miles of higher octane gas to see the difference so you'll have to drive her a bit then log.
The 6 to 7 ST KNKs with the stock tune doesn't seem right to me. What octane does the 5.7 require? If it is 91, then I can understand the KNKs as you are running too little octane. If the manual says 89 octane and you’re seeing that many KNKs on the stock tune, red flag...
I wonder if you’re getting false knocks from a rattle or loud exhaust or bad KNK sensor.
As long as you’re getting KNKs, you won't benefit any timing advances from the tune as the ECU is pulling it right back out.
If it were my car, I would see what octane fuel I needed to get zero KNKs with the stock tune (both closed and open loop) and go from there. If you load the 91 tune you may need to run 93 octane fuel to not have the KNKs. Could be as simple as the ethanol in the gas that you are using or it could be a sensor issue but 6 ST KNKs on the stock tune isn’t right…
Your log graphs must look like an EKG when in reality you want them as flat as possible through all three tuning ranges.

'12 A5 SRT Mods: Mopar CAI, Corsa Sport Cat-back, 180 stat, B&G Tuned ECU, DRs M&H Racemasters 275/50/17 430/434 HP/TQ
PB 1/4 mile: 11.9031 @ 115.62 MPH with a 1.7723 60'
PB 1/8 mile: 7.6808 @ 90.76 MPH
KJ392 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
DTru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 175
Thanked 175 Times in 138 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ392 View Post
If you're getting ST KNKs in closed loop (partial throttle) you need more octane. Chances are that adding fuel won't get rid of the ST KNKs in open loop (WOT) if you’re getting KNKs during closed loop operation. I would try some 93 octane and see if it reduces the closed loop KNKs. If it does, then adding some fuel in open loop may work. It takes quite a few miles of higher octane gas to see the difference so you'll have to drive her a bit then log.
The 6 to 7 ST KNKs with the stock tune doesn't seem right to me. What octane does the 5.7 require? If it is 91, then I can understand the KNKs as you are running too little octane. If the manual says 89 octane and you’re seeing that many KNKs on the stock tune, red flag...
I wonder if you’re getting false knocks from a rattle or loud exhaust or bad KNK sensor.
As long as you’re getting KNKs, you won't benefit any timing advances from the tune as the ECU is pulling it right back out.
If it were my car, I would see what octane fuel I needed to get zero KNKs with the stock tune (both closed and open loop) and go from there. If you load the 91 tune you may need to run 93 octane fuel to not have the KNKs. Could be as simple as the ethanol in the gas that you are using or it could be a sensor issue but 6 ST KNKs on the stock tune isn’t right…
Your log graphs must look like an EKG when in reality you want them as flat as possible through all three tuning ranges.
I was only running 89 to test it out. The 5.7 auto recommends 89 and in Drive those were the numbers I was seeing. In manual shift mode it was significantly less.

Since that one test tank I have only ran 93 octane and still get KR on the stock tune. Think it was around 4.

I have never heard that open/closed loop is from your throttle position... It has always been explained to me that it depends on your engine temp.

I know my knock is not false, on the stock tune I ran a bottle of NOS octane booster and it completely eliminated it.

Like I said, I can live with a few ST KR with partial throttle as its not hurting anything but during WOT I would like to eliminate it.
DTru is offline  
#33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
DTru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 175
Thanked 175 Times in 138 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTru View Post
I would like to eliminate it.
And I did.

Installed the 180 thermostat, 91 canned tune on 93 octane, left the fan settings as they come with the canned tune and added 10% fuel across the RPM's. Did a 0-60 test this morning an hit a personal best of 5.05 with 0 knock.
DTru is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DTru For This Useful Post:
KJ392 (09-25-2013)
#34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
GTFODodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 264
Thanks: 45
Thanked 89 Times in 53 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTru View Post
And I did.

Installed the 180 thermostat, 91 canned tune on 93 octane, left the fan settings as they come with the canned tune and added 10% fuel across the RPM's. Did a 0-60 test this morning an hit a personal best of 5.05 with 0 knock.
I bet you don't need that much fuel across the whole band. Like you, I use the same 91 tune with 93 gas and find that I only need to add 7% fuel to the upper rpm range - the other 2 ranges I leave at 0. Logging shows no knock at all but I guess YMMV.

2013 A5 R/T Plus 28J SGII * Pitch Black * Radar Red Interior * Stripe Delete * Gloss Black SRT Factory Replica Rims * Toyo Proxes ST 275/40-20 x 4 * Speedlogix Cat-back * Diablo Trinity * Moroso CC * Charger OEM CAI Tube + K&N A.F. * Black chrome grill surround * Black OEM Fuel Door, etc, etc.
GTFODodge is offline  
#35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Senior Member
 
DTru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 175
Thanked 175 Times in 138 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFODodge View Post
I bet you don't need that much fuel across the whole band. Like you, I use the same 91 tune with 93 gas and find that I only need to add 7% fuel to the upper rpm range - the other 2 ranges I leave at 0. Logging shows no knock at all but I guess YMMV.
I ran 7% across and still saw some knock in each range. I only got to .5 in the 1-3k but 5 in the 5k range. I will drop it little by little to see what I can get out of it.

Hopefully leaning it out just a little will help me break into the 4's, its frustrating to keep seeing 5.05, 5.07 and 5.08..
DTru is offline  
#36 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
KJ392's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kyle, Texas
Posts: 1,566
Thanks: 91
Thanked 354 Times in 263 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTru View Post
I ran 7% across and still saw some knock in each range. I only got to .5 in the 1-3k but 5 in the 5k range. I will drop it little by little to see what I can get out of it.

Hopefully leaning it out just a little will help me break into the 4's, its frustrating to keep seeing 5.05, 5.07 and 5.08..
I've come to the conclusion that Texas gas sucks... One would think the oppisite but I can't find any decent fresh 93 gas around Austin. I have Exxon in it now from a busy station on the corner of two highways and I get a few ST KNKs with the 91 tune. Water/meth doesn't even quench it. A couple of gallons of race fuel at the track and I get zero KNKs with the 93 tune or the B&G tune.
KJ392 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Challenger Information Thread ResumeSpeed General Challenger Discussion 1300 10-03-2014 01:02 PM
West Coast Challengers Car Club 2013 raVenX California 71 11-14-2013 12:34 PM
2013 srt , tuner or not? Sledstorm Tuning/Data 21 08-29-2013 11:30 AM
Tuner for a 2013 R/T 5.7L rtgordon Tuning/Data 2 05-12-2013 11:06 AM
2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8 ResumeSpeed 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?) 36 11-28-2012 04:44 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome