2013 Diablo Tuner is OUT!!!! FINALLY!!!! - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTru View Post
Yes I know we can only adjust the WOT.

I am getting up to 3 ST on partial throttle but im not too worried about it as its not really hurting anything. I was getting up to 6 or 7 on the stock tune running 89 octane.

I with work, GTA 5 and Battlefield 4 I probably wont get a chance to get a good log in lol.

Mike over at DS said to adjust fuel before reducing timing and that 5% isnt that big of a difference. So I assume you should just keep adding 5% until you are nearly maxed, then pull by a degree or two.
If you're getting ST KNKs in closed loop (partial throttle) you need more octane. Chances are that adding fuel won't get rid of the ST KNKs in open loop (WOT) if you’re getting KNKs during closed loop operation. I would try some 93 octane and see if it reduces the closed loop KNKs. If it does, then adding some fuel in open loop may work. It takes quite a few miles of higher octane gas to see the difference so you'll have to drive her a bit then log.
The 6 to 7 ST KNKs with the stock tune doesn't seem right to me. What octane does the 5.7 require? If it is 91, then I can understand the KNKs as you are running too little octane. If the manual says 89 octane and you’re seeing that many KNKs on the stock tune, red flag...
I wonder if you’re getting false knocks from a rattle or loud exhaust or bad KNK sensor.
As long as you’re getting KNKs, you won't benefit any timing advances from the tune as the ECU is pulling it right back out.
If it were my car, I would see what octane fuel I needed to get zero KNKs with the stock tune (both closed and open loop) and go from there. If you load the 91 tune you may need to run 93 octane fuel to not have the KNKs. Could be as simple as the ethanol in the gas that you are using or it could be a sensor issue but 6 ST KNKs on the stock tune isn’t right…
Your log graphs must look like an EKG when in reality you want them as flat as possible through all three tuning ranges.

'12 A5 SRT Mods: Mopar CAI, Corsa Sport Cat-back, 180 stat, B&G Tuned ECU, DRs M&H Racemasters 275/50/17 430/434 HP/TQ
PB 1/4 mile: 11.9031 @ 115.62 MPH with a 1.7723 60'
PB 1/8 mile: 7.6808 @ 90.76 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ392 View Post
If you're getting ST KNKs in closed loop (partial throttle) you need more octane. Chances are that adding fuel won't get rid of the ST KNKs in open loop (WOT) if you’re getting KNKs during closed loop operation. I would try some 93 octane and see if it reduces the closed loop KNKs. If it does, then adding some fuel in open loop may work. It takes quite a few miles of higher octane gas to see the difference so you'll have to drive her a bit then log.
The 6 to 7 ST KNKs with the stock tune doesn't seem right to me. What octane does the 5.7 require? If it is 91, then I can understand the KNKs as you are running too little octane. If the manual says 89 octane and you’re seeing that many KNKs on the stock tune, red flag...
I wonder if you’re getting false knocks from a rattle or loud exhaust or bad KNK sensor.
As long as you’re getting KNKs, you won't benefit any timing advances from the tune as the ECU is pulling it right back out.
If it were my car, I would see what octane fuel I needed to get zero KNKs with the stock tune (both closed and open loop) and go from there. If you load the 91 tune you may need to run 93 octane fuel to not have the KNKs. Could be as simple as the ethanol in the gas that you are using or it could be a sensor issue but 6 ST KNKs on the stock tune isn’t right…
Your log graphs must look like an EKG when in reality you want them as flat as possible through all three tuning ranges.
I was only running 89 to test it out. The 5.7 auto recommends 89 and in Drive those were the numbers I was seeing. In manual shift mode it was significantly less.

Since that one test tank I have only ran 93 octane and still get KR on the stock tune. Think it was around 4.

I have never heard that open/closed loop is from your throttle position... It has always been explained to me that it depends on your engine temp.

I know my knock is not false, on the stock tune I ran a bottle of NOS octane booster and it completely eliminated it.

Like I said, I can live with a few ST KR with partial throttle as its not hurting anything but during WOT I would like to eliminate it.
#33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I would like to eliminate it.
And I did.

Installed the 180 thermostat, 91 canned tune on 93 octane, left the fan settings as they come with the canned tune and added 10% fuel across the RPM's. Did a 0-60 test this morning an hit a personal best of 5.05 with 0 knock.
The Following User Says Thank You to DTru For This Useful Post:
KJ392 (09-25-2013)
#34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
And I did.

Installed the 180 thermostat, 91 canned tune on 93 octane, left the fan settings as they come with the canned tune and added 10% fuel across the RPM's. Did a 0-60 test this morning an hit a personal best of 5.05 with 0 knock.
I bet you don't need that much fuel across the whole band. Like you, I use the same 91 tune with 93 gas and find that I only need to add 7% fuel to the upper rpm range - the other 2 ranges I leave at 0. Logging shows no knock at all but I guess YMMV.

2013 A5 R/T Plus 28J SGII * Pitch Black * Radar Red Interior * Stripe Delete * Gloss Black SRT Factory Replica Rims * Toyo Proxes ST 275/40-20 x 4 * Speedlogix Cat-back * Diablo Trinity * Moroso CC * Charger OEM CAI Tube + K&N A.F. * Black chrome grill surround * Black OEM Fuel Door, etc, etc.
#35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFODodge View Post
I bet you don't need that much fuel across the whole band. Like you, I use the same 91 tune with 93 gas and find that I only need to add 7% fuel to the upper rpm range - the other 2 ranges I leave at 0. Logging shows no knock at all but I guess YMMV.
I ran 7% across and still saw some knock in each range. I only got to .5 in the 1-3k but 5 in the 5k range. I will drop it little by little to see what I can get out of it.

Hopefully leaning it out just a little will help me break into the 4's, its frustrating to keep seeing 5.05, 5.07 and 5.08..
#36 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I ran 7% across and still saw some knock in each range. I only got to .5 in the 1-3k but 5 in the 5k range. I will drop it little by little to see what I can get out of it.

Hopefully leaning it out just a little will help me break into the 4's, its frustrating to keep seeing 5.05, 5.07 and 5.08..
I've come to the conclusion that Texas gas sucks... One would think the oppisite but I can't find any decent fresh 93 gas around Austin. I have Exxon in it now from a busy station on the corner of two highways and I get a few ST KNKs with the 91 tune. Water/meth doesn't even quench it. A couple of gallons of race fuel at the track and I get zero KNKs with the 93 tune or the B&G tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode