6.4/392 Cam Swap Drivability Results? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
6.4/392 Cam Swap Drivability Results?

Now that there are quite a few cam swaps out there... With any cam swap I expect general drivability and even mileage to change.

How is the drivability of your car?
How affected is your city and highway mileage?
How is the cam in low speed city driving? Is the responsiveness better at low speeds? How is highway cruising?

While not as aggressive as the Comp VVT cams, the 392 cam is quite a jump from the stock Eagle setup.

Thanks!

Mike

2009 Hemi Orange Challenger R/T 6-speed
bone stock other than a set of 17x9 steelies with some sticky tires.

Best MPG: 32.7 - Hyper-miling a Challenger R/T is quite odd.

Best E.T.: 13.585 @ 103.69
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike V. For This Useful Post:
pacman2012 (12-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 06:54 AM

Garage
I think the lack of response is because this is mostly answered in the various other 6.4 Cam threads...

I was curious to see if anyone would chime in so we could have a concentrated thread on those questions and answers instead of having to read through 15+ page threads to find the answer.

I to am curious to know if there is any increase, decrease or the same type of MPG in the city/highway as well.

2013 Challenger R/T
Installed Mods: LMI CAI, BT Catch Can, JBA Tita. Headers, Modern Muscle 87mm TB, Johan 93 Custom Tune, Thrush Glasspacks (mid muffler), Magnaflow Mufflers (resonators), 190 degree Thermostat, Pending Install SEIBON CF (OEM REPLACEMENT) GRILLE
Future Mods: 6.4 Cam Swap, T/A Hood

2011 BMW X5 3.5 Premium
Modifications: Custom FMIC, Custom 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, tune (+2 psi)
#3 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 07:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I did the cam swap, heads, and headers at the same time so I may not be a perfect representation of what you are looking for. My driveability was really no different at lower RPM. The big change happened at 4k. The car just went into beast mode. Which doesn't sound good on paper but if you think about it it kind of works out better that way. If you give your car the beans from a stand still you are fighting for traction. So from idle to 4k you are driving pretty much normally without any or much added power. But when you hit the the 4k range, where we play when we race, you feel a 60hp difference.

My MPG only dropped by an average of 1MPG.

I'm finding that increased power at lower RPM is not really that fantastic. I have a E-Force which is a screw type SC and while fun to spin the wheels as I please. I liked how my car was set up NA a little better where it was normal driveability down low and whoah up high. In retrospect maybe I should have went turbo or centri type SC. We'll see how my final tuning goes and if it smooths out some of the dislikes I have about the driveability of the SC.

2009 R/T Trak Pak(M6 3.73)-SRT Functional Hood Scoops-SRT Suspension-SRT Alcoa Wheels-2011+Long IAT Sensor-Skip Shift Eliminator-JET 180 Tstat-RPI Acrylic Side Marker Blackouts-20% Window Tint-Diablo Trinity-Hurst Billet Shifter-PWR Eagle Mean Street Heads-392 Cam-JBA Titanium Coated Long Tube Header-JBA Catless Mids-DynoMax VT Cat Back-Moroso CC-Zeitronix ZT2-Edelbrock EForce @ 8lbs-Brembo Brakes w/SS Braided Brake Lines

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaelliott For This Useful Post:
salvy59 (12-20-2013), Triz (12-20-2013)
#4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,106 Times in 759 Posts
Two words: excellent driveability

Normally aspirated, stock manifolds, CMR tune (Diablo e-mail tune)

MPG: slight drop city ~ 1.25 from stock
hwy - similar, but haven't taken extended drives to explore further

Custom tune brought out more low end power (over canned 91 CAI tune), mid and extended upper end power output.

The only other 'side effect' is the EVIC shows lower MPG than actual...the tune may throw off how the system calcs, but its no biggie...

2009 R/T 27J pkg (6 speed MT) ordered 7/17/08, built 10/23/08, home on 11/13/08

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter
Black gauge faces, lighted needles
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
Flat Top (12-21-2013)
#5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 AM

Garage
Hal H

Normally aspirated, stock manifolds

>>> is this Exhaust or intake manifold or both? I would like 60 to 80 HP more in the future..

"You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try"

Last edited by salvy59; 12-20-2013 at 07:50 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvy59 View Post
Hal H

Normally aspirated, stock manifolds

>>> is this Exhaust or intake manifold or both? I would like 60 to 80 HP more in the future..
Both - the add'l 12hp from changing the exhaust vs. the cost of parts (I'd favor the clamshell SRT manifolds for mitigating heat in engine bay vs. aftermarket shortys), mid-pipes, labor, its not worth $1k to me for the small gain.

Time and again most of the guys (local shop that works on a lot of Hemis) recommend pull the heads when changing out exhaust...now that's a lot of work, even if doing it yourself.

Paying for someone to that, you can imagine the $$ for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
19johned53 (12-20-2013)
#7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 11:02 AM

My ride was already s/c'd but I did not notice any gas mileage decrease from before aside from flooring it. The main thing I noticed as well as others was the sound idling and driving. Which now sounds more like a muscle car.

Very pleased with the results it also idles well not really lumpy.

2010 RT Classic, auto, Eibach Pro Kit, JBA shorty, Serious Metal Catch can, 180 T-Stat, Magnuson 8 Lbs boost, BBK 90mm Throttle body, Carbon fiber CAI, Magnaflow Catback, SMF Strut Tower Brace, SMF Big brake conversion, some other goodies and a custom tune by Johan
#8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 01:53 PM

Garage
Gotcha on the clam shell, but do you change the intake manifold, and replace it with A 6.1 aluminum one from the 6.1?
#9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvy59 View Post
Gotcha on the clam shell, but do you change the intake manifold, and replace it with A 6.1 aluminum one from the 6.1?
One could do that - but I'd imagine the composite 5.7 (and now the 6.4) would run cooler compared to the AL manifold of the 6.1. It certainly is more to look at from the aesthetic point of view.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 10:49 PM

Garage
so normally when people do cam swaps and ported heads and clamshell exhaust they stick with the 5.7 composite manifold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode