Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Best CAI R/T

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SKULLNUTZ 
#1 ·
Question has probably been asked a million times but what is your opinion for best CAI offers the most performance. I know they don't offer much performance.

#2 ·
Been doing a little research as I'm about to try and buy a 2014 Challenger R/T and from what I'm hearing the Best CAI is going to be between the Legmaker CAI and the Mopar CAI. The legmaker is said to be easier to install. But I do not know which performs better, if you find out let me know!

#3 ·
The 3.6 uses the same factory filter box as the v8, I track tested cai kits and K&N filter, just the drop in K&N filter is a boost in power it was worth .5 mph on the v6 in the 1/4 mile, so I think if the little v6 is seeing a gain I see no reason at all the v8 wouldn't see one.

I tested the mopar cai and also K&N, the K&N gave a 1mph increase in trap speed over stock set up, mopar was just slightly behind.

If the little 3.6 is seeing an improvement using the same box and filter from the factory, one would think the v8 is going to see the same kind if not more improvement.

The factory filter is a restriction, just replacing it helps performance, the cai improve performance still because more air flow, not because the temps are "colder" there's damn near no difference in temps when you really start to average temps out. So the gains come from air flow.

Hope this helps

#4 ·
Expect roughly 2-7 hp gains real world. Ive dynod mine (392) with a 2hp overall 7hp peak and gained 5 ft lbs of torque compared to the hellcat airbox mod with a K&N drop in.

#5 ·
Very nice to see some dyno numbers and track numbers that are showing some gain, small as they my be, it's an improvement.

I personally on some posts said the drop in air filter was roughly worth about 5 hp and the K&N cai was worth about 10 hp overall over the stock box and factory filter ( factory filter had about 250 miles on it so it wasn't a dirty filter as some have tried to suggest that gave false data), just using the old fashion rule of thumb that a 10 hp gain is worth 1 mph in trap speed.

Not to say 10 hp peak but the overall average run down the 1/4 mile going thru the sweep of the rpm range there is extra hp being made to help push the car to 1 mph increase in trap speed.

Even thou my testing was a v6, the air box is still the same whether v6 or v8 and it's hard to ignore that both sizes of engines still saw a gain with extra air via cai kit or drop in filter.

Very nice data.

#7 ·
Yep proof that 5hp gains dont help at the drag strip with a 4200lb car but hey a gain is a gain.
I have had no faster times slips because of it but when I get the diablo and pcm I will be able to adjust for the air flow increase which will help there as well.
I guess all in all it comes down to what you like and dont plan on stupendous gains if you get the cai then you will be happy with it.
Im also enjoying the looks and not needing to remove my filter when I race. The stock box requires a screw driver to remove the top in which I dont like and its ugly as hell to look at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.