Cam Upgrade Recommendation - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to scastillo
Cam Upgrade Recommendation

Hi

I am looking to add some olds school upgrades to my 09 Challenger SRT8, I was planning to add a SC but by this moment is to far. So I was looking in many vendors web pages a lot of cam's but I dont know which cam I have to buy to my Chally.

My currents mod's are, 93 CAI Predator Canned tune, Oil Catch Can, Mopar CAI( will be upgraded to a Stack Bullet CAI or NEW Mopar Long CAI, 85mm TB, SLP 25% pulley, Stack Performance Phenolic Spacers and 180 Themostat. In a couple of weeks A set of headers will arrive with a custom cat back

My Car is a Daily Driver, and some weekends to the Drag Speed Way , I am not looking a super fast machine, but I want to feel that I am in a real muscle car like my old 70 Dart 340.

With this information which cam do you recommend to buy? specs,brand, optional items,?

Of course I have yet a certified CMR tunner here in PR that can modifie the PCM.

Any advice welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Sammy I would go with the SRT MAX by Inertia Motorsports, google Inertia Motorsports and you can also contact them at (512)964-7724 to order the SRT MAX Cam for your Challenger. You can also email them at : 392Stu@InertiaMotorsports.com, the cam is $450 plus shipping and doesn't require any headwork to your existing stock 6.1 heads,they also provide tuning for the cam via email and they do recommend their custom forged pushrods which are a great buy at $125, I'd buy a set if it were my vehicl but you can get away with running your stock pushrods. Keep in touch my friend and let me know how those phenolic gaskets are working that I sold you,Lt.R.D.S.-P.P.Dept.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by Robocop1127 View Post
Sammy I would go with the SRT MAX by Inertia Motorsports, google Inertia Motorsports and you can also contact them at (512)964-7724 to order the SRT MAX Cam for your Challenger. You can also email them at : 392Stu@InertiaMotorsports.com, the cam is $450 plus shipping and doesn't require any headwork to your existing stock 6.1 heads,they also provide tuning for the cam via email and they do recommend their custom forged pushrods which are a great buy at $125, I'd buy a set if it were my vehicl but you can get away with running your stock pushrods. Keep in touch my friend and let me know how those phenolic gaskets are working that I sold you,Lt.R.D.S.-P.P.Dept.

Hey!! My friend! I just saw the web page, I saw the cam and the spec's and sound great. I will be call them. Did you know the specs of OEM cam that have a stock 6.1L? just I want to see the differents about lobe, lift and duration.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Good Sammy I'm glad that you found the website. I do not have that specific information on the stock cam but I'll see if I can find that out for you. If you contact them by email they could answer that question I'm certain. I know that it's the hottest cam out here for our SRT8's right now and you'll be more than pleased after the install. Semd them an email and get in touch anytime my friend!!!Robert
Old 06-27-2011, 02:22 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It's recommended to get a torque converter with the SRT Max. STU at Inertia is a great guy. He did the install on mine and was very knowledgeable. He suggested things that I needed and did not need. As seen in my sig, I went with the Spartan Camshaft. Had I seen the Spartan MAX, I would have gone that way but I am quite pleased with the results.

I, too, daily drive my SRT with my cam upgrade. If you're going to get a new CAI, I would actually suggest the Mopar or the LegMaker 4" CAI. When we dyno tuned, we found that the Stack Performance one was a little restrictive in the top end between 5500-6200 rpm.

6.1L Stock Cam Specs (from PWRAndy)

267/271 @.006"
206/211 @.050"
.340/.330 lobe lift
544/528 valve lift
117.5 LSA
121.5 ICL

Last edited by rayzazoo; 06-27-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 PM

Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I am not looking a super fast machine, but I want to feel that I am in a real musclecar like my old 70 Dart 340.

You sure must have had a fast 340 Dart, My 09 SRT8 run's 12.7's at a track that is about 2 tenth's slower than most others. Thats with a Catback, CAI, caned tune and gear. I also want a cam and converter, with heads, intake and throttle body HHP said about 470/480 to the wheels. Just waiting on the money!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by LURCH View Post
I am not looking a super fast machine, but I want to feel that I am in a real musclecar like my old 70 Dart 340.

You sure must have had a fast 340 Dart, My 09 SRT8 run's 12.7's at a track that is about 2 tenth's slower than most others. Thats with a Catback, CAI, caned tune and gear. I also want a cam and converter, with heads, intake and throttle body HHP said about 470/480 to the wheels. Just waiting on the money!!!!!!!

Hi LURCH!!

You are right!! yes my Old 73 Dart Sport 340(Now have a 70 340 TA Block with a aftermarket cam and a new Six-Pack Setup) is a fast car, with a 3.91, new poly glass tires and some others tricks, I run 12.80 in the 1/4.

I am Mopar Lover and My father and I collect them here in PR., so when I bought My 09 SRT8 I dont feel a real Muscle, maybe because I was always in cars with others specs, so we know that Chally is very heavy weight car and the hot temp's kill his performance. My First run in my SRT8 here in a 1/4 mile, was 13.9. and later after 1 hour 13.7 and the followings runs 13.9 and 14.00. (Remember I live in PR and always the weather is hot). The engine temp was 225 grades F. and the oil temp touch 240, I stop it inmediately, after that I bought some aftermarket produtcs and tune it to modified this. After my mod's I dont returned again to the 1/4, so I dont know now how much my car can do, but I need to feel the same feeling when I run the Hemi Cuda of a friend here in PR, Yea I know that is a different car, but I love to the HEMI ambient and sound so I want to go with my 09 Chally and shows to the Chevy and Ford people of PR that the SRT8 FAT Chally is a pure American Muscel Car, of course have a German Benz touch!!

Can you advice me about the GETRAG 3.91 in the auto SRT8? Need your feedback, this is my next project!

Uff 470WHP sounds good!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's great I picked up 9 tenths with the gear upgrade. The car with the 3.06 @ 80 mph turned 2450 rpms now it turns 3050, @ 70 mph it turns 2750. If you do alot of highspeed driving thats quite high rpms for long periods of time, might have to slow down a little.
I also want to do a converter might get another 4 to 5 tenths.
I would call Josh at HHP I've talked to him a few times, he's the best for everything. Just my opinion. Wish you well and if I can help with anything just let me know!!!!!!!

LURCH!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by Robocop1127 View Post
Any Idea what would work for a 2009 Challenger R/T?
Any thoughts would be apreciated...
Thanks,
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Mods:
Hood Struts, Mopar CAI, SOLO PERFORMANCE Exhaust. Aluminium Interior, 180 Thermostat, Mopar T-Shifter, Diablo catch can, Challenger door sill plates.
Future Mods:
Predator Intune, Sequential tail lights, Edelbrock Supercharger!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:27 PM

Hey Gaston Daoust go on Inertias website and check out their cams that don't require any head work ,it's your choice as to how much lift you want to go with but if you give them a call and tell them what you looking for performance wise they won't steer you wrong!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.