Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Chrysler Announces New Mopar Performance and Customization Initiatives at SEMA

10K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  scotte2010 
#1 ·
I think we all expected some SEMA news from Chrysler, particularily in the tuning area.

For Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, FIAT and SRT® customers who want to further enhance the performance of their vehicles, Mopar has reviewed the facilities and capabilities of Arrow Racing Engines and Arrington Engines for performance calibrations.
Chrysler Group LLC Announces New Mopar Performance and Customization Initiatives at SEMA

• Announces availability of performance calibrations for select 2011, 2012 and 2013 model-year Chrysler Group vehicles
  • Introduces new emissions-compliant 5.7-liter HEMI crate engine for classic muscle cars and hot rods, a version of the same legendary HEMI in modern Dodge Challenger and Charger R/T models
  • Newly created Mopar off-road division announces creation of Jeep Performance Parts, a high-end portfolio of hard-core parts and accessories for Jeep® vehicles, which includes new Mopar 5.7-liter and 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 conversion kits for Jeep Wrangler
  • Opens new FIAT® Fit Shop
  • Watch Mopar press conference live today at Facebook.com/Mopar at 7:40 p.m. Eastern
October 30, 2012 , Las Vegas, Nev. - Mopar is offering even more performance. And even more customization.

Today at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) trade show in Las Vegas, the brand will make a host of announcements.

“At Mopar, we’re empowering our customers to put even more power, capability and customization into their vehicles,” said Pietro Gorlier, President and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group LLC’s service, parts and customer-care brand. “We’ll continue to give our enthusiasts optimal performance and appearance packages on the street, at the track and on the trail.”

Engine Performance Calibration
For Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, FIAT and SRT® customers who want to further enhance the performance of their vehicles, Mopar has reviewed the facilities and capabilities of Arrow Racing Engines and Arrington Engines for performance calibrations. Both companies have the appropriate tooling and software to create performance calibrations for select 2011, 2012 and 2013 model-year Chrysler Group vehicles. Arrow Racing Engines is based in Auburn Hills, Mich. and Arrington Engines is based in Martinsville, Va. Additional companies will be announced at a later date.

S.S.H. (Street Spec HEMI®) Emissions-compliant 5.7-liter HEMI Crate Engine
For those members of Mopar nation looking to add a modern HEMI to their ride, this new emissions-compliant 5.7-liter HEMI engine may be mated to an automatic or manual transmission for 1995 and older model-year vehicles. The engine does not include the production multi-displacement system (MDS).

The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the 5.7-liter HEMI engine kit is $6,800 (part number 77070065). The kit will come with a 2-year/24,000-mile limited warranty.

Following is a preliminary list of parts that will be included with the engine package:

Engine:
5.7-liter HEMI engine (non MDS)
375 horsepower, 400 lb.-ft. of torque
Exhaust manifolds
Engine wire harness

Performance and Emission Control Components:
Engine control module
Oxygen sensor (2) up stream
Oxygen sensor (2) down stream
Electronic Accelerator pedal
EVAP canister

Exhaust:
Catalytic Converter (2)
Oxygen sensor-mounting bosses

The kit also includes an instruction manual and an emission certification label. An Executive Order is in process.

New Jeep Performance Parts
Mopar and the Jeep brand will work together to create Jeep Performance Parts: a portfolio of high-end, hard-core Jeep parts including axles, lift kits, bumpers, winches, skid plates and suspension components. These parts will offer factory-engineered solutions to increase off-road performance. Whether rock crawling or desert hauling, the catalog for these parts will continue to grow in order to meet customer needs for off-road adventures. The catalog will be packed with useful data to help transform stock rides into top trail performers.

Mopar 5.7-liter and 6.4-liter HEMI® V-8 Conversion Kits for Jeep Wrangler
Mopar’s newly created off-road division will announce a new Mopar 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 engine conversion kit that covers 2007 through 2011 model-year Jeep Wranglers. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is $18,599 and the part number is P5156162.

Producing approximately 470 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque to the rear wheels, the Mopar V-8 conversion kit gives Jeep Wrangler enthusiasts an unprecedented blend of power and capability. The Mopar Wrangler 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 conversion kit will mate to Chrysler Group’s W5A580 five-speed automatic transmission, and eventually to the six-speed manual transmission.

The new 5.7-liter HEMI conversion kit also covers 2007 through 2011 model-year Jeep Wranglers. The MSRP is $15,599 and the part number is P5156213. The engine generates approximately 375 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque.
----------------------------

Bernie

See less See more
#2 ·
A 6.4 in a Wrangler would be...interesting.

#4 ·
Interesting too will be the factory transfer case when it detonates and axles, especially the front... Plan on upgrading the rest of the drivetrain...

#6 ·
They've got it for 6.4L on their website....in a package deal with their CAI.:shrug03:

#7 ·
Swapping big motors into Jeeps is nothing new, a friend of mine back in Minnesota has been doing it for several years already.

And offering up the 5.7 for hot-rodders, a good thought, but they must be joking if they don't realize that those people will want 6.4s...or even bigger motors. Swaps like that are so costly anyway, people will be upset to pay big money and then have to tell people it is not the motor that comes in the SRT8. Just sayin'...not 5.7 hatin'...

#8 ·
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 ·
I think we're going to see full tuning capability, emmisions compliant and with a warranty.

Bernie

#13 ·
Humm...

Watch Mopar press conference live today at Facebook.com/Mopar at 7:40 p.m. Eastern

Bernie

#14 ·
This looks like a highly promising initiative that can help put the modern hemi back into a competitive positon with strong offerings from Ford and GM. Congrats to Arrington and Arrow as the launch partners, and I look forward to the rollout of this program as more vendors are added with a wider geographical reach.

#15 ·
Wonder who will be the shop that services Georgia? I'm thinking about driving up to injected when I get my next set of mods ready to roll.

#16 ·
Very interesting that MOPAR announces the factory tuning applications on the exact day Diablo is there with their new program for the 392 Hemi Tuner and that they cracked the codes on the computer....I bet that lit a fire under the ass of MOPAR and Dodge/CHY/Jeep to get with the program with tuning options for the 392 Hemi & Newer 5.7.

Whats the chance of this happening on the same day?

This is great...now I can tune my 2012 Jeep SRT some day soon and the 2013 Challenger SRT and not have to worry about warranty issues and having to pull the tune everytime it goes to the dealer for something...

#17 ·
I wouldn't get too excited. It may very well cost more and do less than you can do with the Trinity.

You also won't have the convenience of a handheld to say, enable/disable your MDS at will, change your tune from 91 to 93 as different octanes are available in different states, lots of stuff.

That's just me though, I prefer the freedom to do what I want with my car.

#24 ·
+1

I'm gunna get flamed but what the hell..here goes...When the first 426 Hemi's came out they only got a 1yr 12000 mile warranty and it was stated that if raced, Chrysler would void that. Everyone that is bitching about Ma Mopar voiding of the warranty just wants to have their cake and eat it too. I've trashed 4 engines in two cars thrashing on the streets. Did I go back to the builder or maker of the parts, no. It's part of the game. Problem nowadays is no one wants to be responsible for their own actions anymore. Let someone else take the hit. Why should I?...Todays society...bunch of spoiled whinny babies....you can afford that SRT..you can afford to fix it if you break it...geesh!!!!!

#22 · (Edited)
After re-reading this post, it seems quite adversarial towards Arrington and that wasn't quite the intent, so I'm deleting it. Chrysler has earned so much hate from me that it just comes out any time their name comes up on CT. And now that you're speaking on their behalf hemituner, you're getting the same treatment they get. Which is to say, you're getting the same treatment that they have shown us.

Going into this, the only reason I would have ever considered giving that wretched company a single dime for this would have been in exchange for continued powertrain warranty coverage. Why else would I pay them for fixing a problem they created? The only saving grace I see now is that you might be able to properly tune lopey cams, while Diablo customers may still be denied that option. To be frank, I blame Chrysler for that, not Diablo. Will that be the case, or not?

A couple points from the original post:

- Will auto cars that have MDS kill their engines on the highway be denied coverage if they have your PCM installed?
- Will you be reporting your customers to Chrysler so they can void their warranties immediately?

#25 ·
+1 and I agree.

But, I just don't understand how some "handheld" tuner companies say that the factory warranty isn't voided using their products, but Chysler states that using Arrington for a tune will?????

I gues when the smoke clears, we'll see in writing from Chrysler all the specifics, but the handheld folks keep saying that there's not a problem.

What's up with this???..................................Sales????????????????

#29 ·
I understand that. The part/system that failed, failed because of a "add on", and Chrysler won't warranty that, if they can prove that the "add on" directly contributed to the failure.

But, if Chrysler is voiding powertrain warranty because of the new/flashed pcm from "XXX", then there's no difference with the handheld flash.....no warranty coverage.

I keep hearing, take the handheld flash off before going to the dealer, but this is the same as tearing up the rearend at the track, getting it home, taking off the slicks, and then towing it in to the dealer for warranty repair.

A pcm "out of factory parameters" is out of factory parameters, regardless if it's a flashed, complete pcm, or a hand held flash to the car. It's not factory approved, and thus not covered.

Here's an example, at least in my mind. You buy a handheld to disable the MDS due to the TC issues that are being reported. No MDS, no TC issues...hopefully.

Now, the TC still fails, even with the handheld flash, and if you don't remove the handheld flash, Chrysler can say "It's out of factory parameters, warranty denied"

At the time of a failure like this, it may not be "handy" to take the flash back to factory settings, and you're not covered, and lost the aftermarket tune.

Maybe I'm just too honest, but if you have to remove an aftermarket tune to make sure that your warranty stays intact, then the statement that I hear that "this handheld will not void your warranty" isn't a true statement, or at least, it's misguiding.

OK, Chrysler is going to have to prove that disabling the MDS caused the TC failure, but I'm the one who's got to force the issue legally, which is time and money, and all I want is my car back up and running.

Goes back to the "ya gotta pay if you're going to play" statement. I don't have a problem with that, but it sure seems like companies "dance around" the "will this void my warranty" subject just to sell their product.

#27 ·
The dealer I bought my last Challenger from offered me a tune as a dealer-installed option (turned out they used Diablo). 11's were just out and this was their first sale so hadn't realized it was not a valid option at the time, but I 'assume' if the dealer was selling it, I would be covered...since it was moot I never had small print to check, but I suspect the warranty would not have been voided.

#28 ·
Why all the talk of Chrysler providing a warranty for any tune or PCM with tune that they, Arrow or Arrington comes up with? Chrysler via Mopar already offers regrogrammed PCM's for the 5.7/6.1 hemis and the Viper motors. Looking thru Mopar's catalog, NONE of those PCM's come with any warranty. And, to use the current Mopar offerings, one must replace a cam or use headers and/or replace catted mids with catless mids. Coming from the Viper world, I was considering Mopar's PCM for the gen III Viper motor (2006 Ram). Then I found out I needed to swap the cam and install catless mids in order to use the PCM. I drove my truck everyday and in order to keep it registered in VA, it needed to pass a OBD II reader test and a visual inspection, every two years. I scrapped that plan...

With my SRT Challenger, I've learned two things, so far. 1. if I want to improve the throttle response/delay (which I can't stand), I use autostick mode. To me it seems, the sluggish throttle response and quick upsifts disappear when I go into autostick mode. And 2. if I want to shutdown MDS (which I personally can't stand), I switch to autostick mode.

#30 ·
Not sure how true this is, but it is what I was told from a dealer, one who do sell a lot of performance parts. It is also a reason why I have not changed the tune in my 2010. I was told that when they hook the car up to check things on the computer, the computer keeps a running calc of the number of flashes it has had. If this number is greatly different than the number of flashes on file that have been done by the dealers, then they will assume that someone else has made the flashes.

Now that being said, I have a 2003 Volvo XC90 that is my standard every day driver. I also had, just recently gave to my daughter our 1998 Volvo V70. Both of these cars when flashed, and I have had them done to clear out old codes, and some misc things, can be found out because the computer does not update info for about 50 miles after a flash has occured. The biggest thing is when getting an inspection and the car is hooked up to the inspection computer. It will not read info for at least 50 miles for emissions. I know this, as I've had that check engine light come on and have had it reset only to find that the inspection station knows when this has been done.

Anyway just some of what I have run into with my Chally and other cars I own. Not sure how truthful the dealer has been with me, but they don't have any reason to lie, as I did not get the car from them, and I have used them to flash my Challey. I had it done because I just bought it with 4100 miles on it and did not know really what the MDS was until I started seeing the issues with it. I thought there was something seriously wrong with the transmission. So they reflashed, and told me about the MDS, and what it is and what it is for....I hate it.....now I use the autostick unless I out on the highway crusing at highway speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.