Differance Long Tube VS Short Tube Headers - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:33 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Differance Long Tube VS Short Tube Headers

I have a RT auto ,What is the advantage of adding headers and is what is the differance in performance between long tube and short tube. I have seen most people adding the long tube are now throwing codes ,is it the same with the short tube?

[/url] MODS: Mopar Coilover kit &strut tower brace, Cervinis TA Hood kit,Solo Performance High Flow cats and exhaust, Predator 93 CAI Tune, 180 Tstat, Factory Repoductions Rims ,BF Goodrich tires,Cbd competition spoiler,BT Dash Tag, & Pistol grip ,Jina headrest ,Detonator Bee stripe

Last edited by 1MEAN RT; 09-19-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The shortie headers will still use the stock midpipe/cat so you won't get codes. Even if you add an aftermarket highflow cat with the shortie you generally won't get a code. With the Long Tube the cats are of a different design and you wind up with an efficiency code. The LongTube will make more power than a true shortie,but a good and inexpensive alternate is to use a factory 6.1 header and highflow midpipe.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:50 PM

I have a set of 6.1 headers and mid pipes to put on my 5.7.Are the 6.1 cats any better flowing than the 5.7 cats??????

#4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLNUT View Post
I have a set of 6.1 headers and mid pipes to put on my 5.7.Are the 6.1 cats any better flowing than the 5.7 cats??????
The cat is the same but the mid pipe is larger.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 AM

I knew that it is 2 3/4" vs 2 1/2",should I put a better cat on to get any gain in HP?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:53 AM
Banned

A high flow cat will get you about 10hp and 10 tq through the middle of the power band over the stock cat.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Any preferance on which cat?
#8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MEAN RT View Post
I have a RT auto ,What is the advantage of adding headers and is what is the differance in performance between long tube and short tube. I have seen most people adding the long tube are now throwing codes ,is it the same with the short tube?

From our results here, Longtubes by far add more power. I have seem quite a few RTs only gain about 5whp with the addition of shortys and offroad mids or highflow catted mids.

For those with strict emissions testing, you really dont have choice but to run the shortys, but if you can get away with it, long tubes will offer far more power: often gains of 15WHP on our dyno.

Using used SRT manifolds can make for cheap power gains very similar to shortys.

The downside with longtubes are their cost: often twice that of shortys (or more)! Longtubes often through check engine lights that we can remove but those with emissions testing will have a struggle to get passed.

Tim C

#9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi31 View Post
but a good and inexpensive alternate is to use a factory 6.1 header and highflow midpipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCX Depot-Tim C View Post
For those with strict emissions testing, you really dont have choice but to run the shortys,
Using used SRT manifolds can make for cheap power gains very similar to shortys.

Tim C
Thats the problem, NY is strict and unless someone from NY can tell me how to get it passed I dont think I can go long tube.Is there any true advantage to getting a after market shorty over the Srt8 headers and if I go that route is a high flow midpipe bertter then using the stock midpipe from the srt8?

Last edited by 1MEAN RT; 09-20-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: grammar
#10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

You can get it passed in NY but it takes work. Most use spark plug antifoulers(2 per side) on the downstream 02 sensor and you might need a little steel wool packed between them to dilute the exhaust enough to fool the PCM. And on a stock or mildly modded motor the difference between long tubes and 6.1 manifolds is not that big. If it were I would be running long tubes on my 500rwhp 426.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode