Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Educate me on headers for my 2012 SRT8 392

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  "Charlene" 
#1 ·
Hey, guys.

So I'm thinking about headers to go with my Magnaflow 16886 Competition Series cat-back. I've been doing some research, and have discovered that very few headers are CARB compliant for use in California. Does anyone know which brands sell headers that have a CARB EO? Also, could someone explain the difference in performance between long tube and shorty headers? I am looking for improvement across the rev band, but would like the gains to be streetable - i.e. in the low to mid rpm range, as opposed to the top end.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

#2 ·
Shorty headers are essentially what your oem 392 manifolds are. Long tubes extend as one piece all the way under the car.

To my knowledge, no long tube header complies with ca. Emissions. However, people do run headers in ca and generally find a song shop that will look the other way.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. If the 392 is already equipped with shorties, is there any appreciable gain by replacing them with aftermarket units?

#4 ·
Replacing the shorties on a 392 challenger with aftermarket ones would be a waste of money. The only gain you'll see is with long tubes but it's only worth it if you add a cam, ported heads and/or a ported intake to get full benefits. Long tubes by themselves on a 392 are probably only worth 15 rwhp at most if that.

Reactions: RobF
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.