Help with air filter change. - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with air filter change.

A quick look under the hood, left me puzzled as to how the airbox is disassembled.If someone could post some simple instructions, I would be most appreciative.Also how the engine cover is removed.As I recall on my C5 that was a real pita.In real life I was an engineer, not a mechanic.Its an R/T..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 AM

not to be a smart ass or anything, but have you tried the owner's manual?
If it does not clearly tell you how to open, there are a few plastic tabs that you press in and the top should pull up exposing the filter. Then you can replace the filter. Sometimes it's easier to remove the various tubes which are attached to the box first. Engine cover just pulls up/snaps in place I believe.

Last edited by skialfs; 02-28-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 AM

I read the owners manual from cover to cover, and watched the DVD.They apparently made some changes as the operation of the auto-stick, trip odometer, and removing the engine top cover or disassembling the airbox are not in there.Just about everything that I don't have on my R/T was...
Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (20)
You can lift it up enough to change the filter without takeing the cover off or unhooking it from the engine. Just release the latches and lift up.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:52 AM

Are the latches the two tabs in the front.Do they pull out or push in.I had fits on my C5 and and came very close to breaking it by going the wrong way.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

It's been 6 months ago and I don't have my car with me but if no one helps you with this before 6 or so I'll look at it and give you step by step info.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ya, the clips are on the front and they are not all that easy to get released (or to re-clip once its put back on).

Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM

I could feel them release, but couldn't budge the lid.Started to take the accordian rubber tubing that goes to the throttle body. but thought better of it.It appears to me that the stock setup will feed as much cool air as you need.The cold air kits I looked at, are not going to keep engine heat away, the dividers are made of black plastic, bet dollars to donuts that after a short period of time plenty of heat will invade the area where the cone filter sits.Whereas the stock inlet pulls atmospheric air fron outside the engine compartment.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

You must not gotten all the releases because it should lift enough to get the filter out. You can hear the differance the air getting to the engine makes. It might not be cold air but it does get more air.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I just looked at the one in the shed that came off of mine. There are 2 latches on the front side you pull toward you. Lift the front part up. There's 3 lips at the back you can squirm out. There's a small hose on the back of the airbox you can slide off if you want more room. You should be able to move it around without unhooking it from the throttle body.
The Following User Says Thank You to itzrick For This Useful Post:
djpiezo (09-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.