Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   How much can you mod? (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/how-much-can-you-mod-21835/)

Mike440SB 07-05-2009 09:17 PM

How much can you mod?

Hey guys

I'm wondering how far you can go before you void your warrenty. I'm looking at doing an exhaust package because I just love how the pypes ones sound. I'm also thinking about adding a cold air intake to the car. I'm just wondering how far this can go before it voids my lifetime warrenty?
Mike

spencer60 07-05-2009 09:32 PM

First and foremost, that really depends on the dealer involved. The only 100% sure way is to leave your car stock. However most dealers won't try and deny a warranty claim for a CAI or cat-back system, since it would be difficult to argue that they were capable of causing engine damage.

However the more you do, the more ammo you give a dealer to claim that your mods void the warranty. A Predator tune on the car is a good example, since you are changing the way the computer operates the engine, and possibly reducing the factory safety margins to get more power. Put on something like a supercharger or a turbo, and you can pretty much guarantee that the warranty will be void.

In theory, the law requires that the dealer prove your mod caused whatever problem they are trying to avoid fixing. However you would have to take them to court to enforce that, so unless you have a relative who is a lawyer (and works for free), it can cost you to fight a denied claim.

Mike440SB 07-05-2009 09:37 PM

Thank you Spencer60. I know this mod thing is kind of a slippery slope. One thing leads to another, but I actually want to keep it close to stock, but give it some personal touches.. (exhaust, rims etc.)

Mike

xxxchally 07-05-2009 11:42 PM

My K&N is a five minute swap, if i need to take it to the dealer for a mechanical failure i'm going to put it back to the stock airbox, i already do for oil changes and i can clean the intake in the mean time. Just an idea. A guy in the service dept. told me they have never traced a failure to a cat-back exhaust so i had to get my Pypes because as you stated i love the way they sound!

spencer60 07-05-2009 11:47 PM

Yeah, it can get weird with dealers. My plan is to stick with things outside the engine. For now CAI, catback, and maybe headers at some point (GA has emissions testing, so I need to be careful there). I don't worry too much about the Predator, since I can always flash back to stock.

Other than that stuff, I'll be adding the Hurst shifter (when it eventually gets here), and should have some BC coilovers showing up tomorrow. Also need to do something about the tires, but to tell the truth, I like the stock 18" wheels so they're going to stay a while. May also look into upgraded (slotted) rotors and pads later on too.

BTW, two great cars there! I had a '69 440 SuperBee, long ago and far away...

xxxchally 07-06-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spencer60 (Post 304442)
Yeah, it can get weird with dealers. My plan is to stick with things outside the engine. For now CAI, catback, and maybe headers at some point (GA has emissions testing, so I need to be careful there). I don't worry too much about the Predator, since I can always flash back to stock.

Other than that stuff, I'll be adding the Hurst shifter (when it eventually gets here), and should have some BC coilovers showing up tomorrow. Also need to do something about the tires, but to tell the truth, I like the stock 18" wheels so they're going to stay a while. May also look into upgraded (slotted) rotors and pads later on too.

BTW, two great cars there! I had a '69 440 SuperBee, long ago and far away...

I wanted to buy a Predator tuner so when i took my car into the dealership i asked about it and i was told that even if i flash it back to stock settings they can trace the tuning has been done and ding you on it. I hope its a line of BS because i still want one, i'm going to look into it further. Maybe i'll start a thread right now.

spencer60 07-06-2009 06:44 AM

Actually, there was a big thread about this a month or so ago. Don't know if it was ever resolved though. DS insists that if you reflash to stock the dealer can't tell. A couple of folks who sounded like Chrysler techs insisted you could by the version numbers. I'm guessing the real answer lies somewhere in the middle. If they really want to go CSI on you, they can tell, but for most normal service it won't be an issue. Just my opinion though...

RT6SPD 07-06-2009 07:00 AM

If you get Mopar accessories installed at the dealer, they are also covered under your warranty. I got the Mopar CAI installed and it is covered in my cars warranty.
"As the official parts and accessories division of Chrysler Motors LLC, Mopar is original equipment." quote from the Mopar accessory catolog. Iam sure this will be the case with FIAT at well.

spencer60 07-06-2009 07:53 AM

Problem is, except for the CAI, the cat-back (I think), there isn't much in the Mopar Performance catalog that would keep the car under warranty. Most of the parts are marked for 'off-road' use only, so they don't have a warranty themselves, and would invalidate yours if installed. For example, the headers would be a great Mopar part, but from everything I've seen they are off road only.

As an aside, I really think Chrysler is missing the boat here. Take headers for example. A good set of long-tube headers costs around $2000. But these will not be CARB/EPA certified (so can't legally be used in any state) and they will void the warranty. Most 3rd parties can't or won't go through the certification process for every model they support, it's just too much trouble.

However Mopar would only need to design and certify a few different models, since they don't care about headers for a '72 Camero. The cost to them would be minimal, and the warranty cost would be almost zero (what is going to break on a header?). On the flip side, they could charge $2500 a set and us street folks would be all over them. Offer them with a full exhaust and high-flow cats, all certified and warrantied and they'd make a killing. The dealers would love it too, since they get to charge shop labor prices to install it (it would have to be installed by a dealer I'm sure).

They could do the same with lots of other speed parts, all the way up to superchargers and turbos, maybe even offering custom tunes (by partnering with Diablo or another tuner) that optimized the computer for these parts.

This would be a very high-margin business that right now is going directly to aftermarket suppliers. And in reality, it wouldn't even hurt the aftermarket guys that much. A lot of folks would still go for third party parts, due to cost or performance reasons. Plus, the reason we don't get certified parts is that the Mopar market is just too small for most of them to go through the effort with. Chrysler wouldn't have that issue.

CDiPrecision 07-06-2009 08:37 AM

Learn your rights read Magnuson Moss Warranty act. The mods you do have to be the cause of the failure, and they have to prove it. Mod away..;)