Lighten a Challenger SRT8? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 02:37 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lighten a Challenger SRT8?

Hi folks,

do you have an idea where all the weight comes from?
I'd really love to get my SRT8 lighter but do not really know where to start.

For sure - getting a carbon fibre hood, roof and trunk will help a little bit. But I have no idea how much lighter these parts are compared to the stock steel.
All together perhaps 60pounds?

And then?
Getting some new racing seats - perhaps 22pounds per seat?
Getting rid of the rear seats - perhaps 55pounds?
Carbon fibre doors - nobody makes them :-( - perhaps 45pounds per door?

Actually we'd get roughly 200 pounds

And then?
Where are the fat parts? Or is the uniframe body because of the crash rating stuff so heavy that it's nearly useless to get rid of some pounds here and there?

I do not want to throw my soundsystem out just to save 15pounds.
Just lookin for some really heavy parts which could be replaced.

But please - don't tell me to get a tiny 350HP Nissan 1.4l Bi-Turbo+NOS instead of the Hemi under the hood to save 100pounds !!!

We all know. One way is to get more HP out of the engine.
And the other one is to reduce the mass which have to be moved.

Perhaps you guys have some numbers or ideas.
KW Stage 2, Hotchkis Sways, Front & rear Strut Bars, Catch Can, MBRP, Vortech V3, Hurst Shifter, Magnaflow Catted Mids, 8-Piston Brembos, OZ Wheels (front 10x20, rear 11x20) w 285/35 Toyo R888 all around, Pedders Bushings, Custom Oil Cooler, and much more...

see some of my "keep on rockin" Challenger videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lukecustoms

Last edited by lukester; 05-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 02:43 PM

I would look at the Super Stock Challenger that Dodge was offereing and see what they did.. I'm sure its No Carpet, Sound Deadner, Heater, AC, Stereo, BackSeat, Acrylic Windows with no Motors, No headliner, etc,etc... I believe that car weighs 3000lbs??

The Hood is Aluminium.. You would have to replace fenders, hood, and trunk.... Maybe lighter wheels..

It all adds up.

If you want a race car, I would find one that has been wrecked and rip it apart and build it from the ground up.. Bare Bones.

2009 Torred SRT8 - 6speed
Old 05-11-2009, 02:50 PM

I know - it all adds up. But we all try to get more HP out of the engines to get more pressure and fun.

So my idea is to get rid of some heavy parts instead of getting more HP. Perhaps it's the same effect for the same amount of bucks.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 PM

You should do some research on google of the new Mopar Drag Pak for the Challenger. Some articles list the parts that were stripped out of the car. The only problem with stripping it is the interior will look like crap. If you want the car to go under 10, get some advice from the HHP vendor on here. They have a lot of stuff you can add to your engine, and can probably give you advice on your goals. If you want to go under 10 seconds, on a budget, you're better off with a ricer. The Challenger R/T and SRT8 are capable of it, but it's expensive cause the car is huge, and is built more for longer distance racing, and extended street driving.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:14 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Carbon fiber drive shaft. I'm pretty sure most of the weight comes from safety equipment. Obviously you can do small things like replacing rims and whatnot but I don't know that there are any large items that you can swap for huge losses.

The passenger seat isn't power so you won't lost much weight there.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 AM

First thing to examine is unsprung weight. Big wheels and tires are heavy, you want the lightest combination you can get. Big brakes and rotors add weight, these also need to be as light as possible. I think the ratio is for every 1 pound of weight removed here has the equivalent of removing 4 from the car. Other weight removal will strip features and safety items from the car and you end up with a car like the body in white program. A relatively easy one is to replace your group 27 battery with a group 26, 56 or some other small case battery. Just don't run all your power accessories at once or expect it to power your headlamps after you shut the car off. Lastly limit the weight of what you carry in the car. Been planning to lose a few pounds? This will make your car quicker in the quater mile. When you go to the track try running on 1/2 tank of fuel or less, depending on how the weight ballast effects tire traction. No one item is the killer, but a lot of little things can add up.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 AM

Some of the things on the factory drag race challengers they removed were the A/C system and the airbags.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Banned for excessive flatulence in a public place

Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I removed the trunk carpet and a bunch of plastic parts under the hood, all totaling 70 lbs. I never use the trunk, and I don't care that the engine compartment isn't 'clean' (ie, wires and coil packs visible), so the weight saving doesn't affect the way I use the car, and it's all reversible (I can put everything back on).

I have plans on removing the rear resonators (~30 lbs right there) and perhaps removing the front sway bar (~20 lbs) if it doesn't affect driveability. I didn't buy this car to do cornering, so all that would add up to about 120 lbs.

Not only does it help make the car marginally faster, it's better fuel economy, and less wear on the clutch and brakes.

Beyond all this low-hanging fruit, I'll likely need to spend some money. Let me know if you think of anything else.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by toofart View Post
I removed the trunk carpet and a bunch of plastic parts under the hood, all totaling 70 lbs. I never use the trunk, and I don't care that the engine compartment isn't 'clean' (ie, wires and coil packs visible), so the weight saving doesn't affect the way I use the car, and it's all reversible (I can put everything back on).

I have plans on removing the rear resonators (~30 lbs right there) and perhaps removing the front sway bar (~20 lbs) if it doesn't affect driveability. I didn't buy this car to do cornering, so all that would add up to about 120 lbs.

Not only does it help make the car marginally faster, it's better fuel economy, and less wear on the clutch and brakes.

Beyond all this low-hanging fruit, I'll likely need to spend some money. Let me know if you think of anything else.

I'm actually on a longer business trip but I'll weight all parts which I remove for you guys.

Thinking of carpet, rear seats, the useless underhood stuff, ...
I do have an MBRP which is lighter than the stock detroit steel pipes so there's nothing left.

@toofart.
You don't want to remove the front sway bar! Belief me. Your handling will be feel able worse as the car will lean much more into corners.
Removing weight is definitely the aim. But not by removing important things. I upgraded my sway bars to the harder ones from Hotchkis and I love it as the car now is stable in corners. Nearly no side lean any more.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned for excessive flatulence in a public place

Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
You don't want to remove the front sway bar!
Apparently removing it is a 30 minute job, so I'll give it a shot. IMO most OEM sway bars are so small that their effect is marginal. Regardless, if there is too much body lean, I'll put it back on. Everything I've done so far is reversible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.