Most bang for the buck - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Most bang for the buck

Good Morning,

I have a 2010 SRT and I"m looking for some mods to do on the performance side. I've put a K&N CAI in but thats it for performance mods. I've heard peiple talk about the InTune programmer but I wasnt sure if it was worth the money or what benefits I would get from the programmer when I have done anything extreme to the engine. I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on things as I know about enough to get myself into trouble but want to see what people have done and also what they recommend.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i have a 09 srt

got a intune.
magnaflow 16885 comp exhaust.. gonna get a cold air intake soon.

ALL OF THIS COMBINED.. MIGHT get you 20hp.. mine is a 6 speed so you don't notice things as much as you will an automatic. the intake is mainly sound and eye candy. the exhaust is sound.. the only real gains i see so far is from my intune.. again. this aint gonna set the world on fire.

the intune is fine or the trinity.. either one. intune is cheaper.. smaller and has a couple less features but if you arn't a racer i don't know if the trinity is nessisary or not.

is your car a auto or 6 speed?

2009 SRT
ARRINGTON TVS 2300 8LB BLOWER WITH A.J. TUNE & MODERN MUSCLE THROTTLE BODY WITH LMI FENDER PULL INTAKE
ARRINGTON FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE
BILLET TECH FUEL DOOR BADGE, DOORLOCK PINS, DEVO STRUT TOWER COVERS, COMPLETE UNDERHOOD KIT IN RED, POP CAN DELETE DISC'S, SRT WHEEL CENTERS, DOOR JAM INSERTS
CANTON SUPER CHARGER COOLANT TANK
BARTON SHORT THROW SHIFTER WITH MOPAR SHORT THROW HANDLE]
CUSTOM HEAD RESTS
SPEEDLOGIX A-PILLAR POD WITH AUTOMETER CARBON FIBER GUAGES
#3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Let's assume the HP gains are after you get your custom tune. Here is what the HP gains might look like, per item:

ported throttle body (5-10hp)
catback exhaust (5-10hp)
long tube headers (15-25hp)
high flow cats or cat delete midpipes (15-20hp)
aftermarket camshaft (40hp)
higher flowing heads (35hp)
CAI (a good one like Legmaker or AFE) - (10-15hp)
Custom CMR tune (will need a Diablo Intune for this, in order to datalog and adjust a/f for mods)

TOTAL HP GAIN : 155 rwhp. (With this number I am going with the higher estimate values I posted). Now that, to me is a lot of power when fully completed. And, all naturale. No forced induction.

As far as where to start. Most folks open up the intake and exhaust with a good cold air intake, and catback system. You won't really see gains on the exhaust until you replace the stock headers with some long tubes. Catless may not be legal in your state, but they can yield the most HP gains. A ported throttle body will give you much better throttle response, and the larger opening will be important once you are pumping in more air into the motor. You may be able to go this far without a tune. Obviously adding the more aggressive camshaft and heads, you will need a custom tune. Exhaust will cost a lot, as will the installation and purchase of the heads and cam. Some of the other items aren't that bad. Mods work as one big PUNCH, it's not just one mod, but how they synergistically work together as a whole. The more mods, the more gains. If you want quick and easy power, you just can't beat a supercharger.

I am not an expert, but I've researched it a bunch and have a friend who has a '10 SRT which is pretty jacked up. He doesn't even have an aftermarket catback, but it still sounds mean with the cam and long tubes.

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic STP, sunroof, tint, 430 rbz, 3.92 gears, 6 speed.
MODS:
Zoomers catback exhaust
AFE Stage II cold air intake
Barton short throw shifter
Fastman ported throttle body
Diablo CMR tune by Johan
Mopar hood struts
Mopar strut tower brace
Spohn sway bar end links
Speedlogix rear adjustable control arms
Speedlogix tension bars
Jet 180* t-stat
SRT8 6.1 chin spoiler
Billet Technology catch can

Last edited by OmahaRumble; 12-05-2012 at 03:03 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Banned

omaha, why don't you post these in realistic stages for the op and add an est. cost.
benefit.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 02:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzKing View Post
omaha, why don't you post these in realistic stages for the op and add an est. cost.
benefit.
That would actually make for a good sticky thread.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloMike View Post
In all honesty, there is not much more bang for the buck you can get than a tuner

The reduction in torque management alone is worth the price of admission, the extra power, increased throttle response, and improved shifting on Automatics is icing on the HEMI cake.
Hate to be that guy...but any word on when 2013 tuning might be available?
#7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM

I'd do the tuner first, then I'd say a super charger is going to give you the most bang for the buck. You need the tuner to use the super charger anyways so you might as well get it first.

2014 SRT Core - 12.285 @ 112.50 mph
2010 R/T - PB 12.87 Traded

I know my car runs 10's because I once beat a guy who said his car runs 11's.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 10:03 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaRumble View Post
Let's assume the HP gains are after you get your custom tune. Here is what the HP gains might look like, per item:

ported throttle body (5-10hp)
catback exhaust (5-10hp)
long tube headers (15-25hp)
high flow cats or cat delete midpipes (15-20hp)
aftermarket camshaft (40hp)
higher flowing heads (35hp)
CAI (a good one like Legmaker or AFE) - (10-15hp)
Custom CMR tune (will need a Diablo Intune for this, in order to datalog and adjust a/f for mods)

TOTAL HP GAIN : 155 rwhp. (With this number I am going with the higher estimate values I posted). Now that, to me is a lot of power when fully completed. And, all naturale. No forced induction.

As far as where to start. Most folks open up the intake and exhaust with a good cold air intake, and catback system. You won't really see gains on the exhaust until you replace the stock headers with some long tubes. Catless may not be legal in your state, but they can yield the most HP gains. A ported throttle body will give you much better throttle response, and the larger opening will be important once you are pumping in more air into the motor. You may be able to go this far without a tune. Obviously adding the more aggressive camshaft and heads, you will need a custom tune. Exhaust will cost a lot, as will the installation and purchase of the heads and cam. Some of the other items aren't that bad. Mods work as one big PUNCH, it's not just one mod, but how they synergistically work together as a whole. The more mods, the more gains. If you want quick and easy power, you just can't beat a supercharger.

I am not an expert, but I've researched it a bunch and have a friend who has a '10 SRT which is pretty jacked up. He doesn't even have an aftermarket catback, but it still sounds mean with the cam and long tubes.
After going through the naturally aspirated route and extensive mods with my 2010 SRT, I would say...

Save up, supercharge, and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2015 376 cu-in SRT S/C Hellcat Torred (ordered; BX)
2012 392 cu-in SRT8 Tungsten - 12.847 @ 109.89 mph
2010 370 cu-in SRT8 Torred - 12.604 @ 112.11 mph (Spartan Cam) / 12.817 @ 110.05 mph
2009 345 cu-in R/T Torred - 13.291 @ 103.67 mph

Bolt-On Mod Information
#9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd recommend just getting a blower or stroker and making some real power rather than all those bolt ons which won't do much but add up to real money

Arrington aluminum 426, twin 67mm turbos, Nitrous Outlet Direct Port. Paramount driveline

9.20 @ 152
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode