Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Performance exhaust with high flow cats

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Retromusclecar 
#1 ·
If I already have a performance exhaust, will adding high flow cats make a noticeable difference in sound?

To be more specific, I have the solo performance exhaust system on my 5.7. The system sounds absolutely amazing at WOT, and very little drone on the highway. With that said, I woundnt mind the system to be a little louder, especially at idle or cruising at 45 mph. Will adding the solo cats add any sound if I already have the solo cat-back exhaust system?

#2 ·
Yes. I run a Magnaflow 16886 Competition Series cat-back, and recently added the Magnaflow 16420 mid pipes with high flow cats, and the difference in sound is dramatic. Much deeper and bassier, and more snap, crackle and pop when lifting off the throttle. Well worth the $380 I paid for them.

Rob

#6 · (Edited)
Hope you're doing well too, my friend! I did indeed finally make the jump. Really like the sound, but don't have an issue with exhaust smell... yet. I've only put about 250 miles on her since getting the mids put on.

Are you still considering an H/C or are you sticking with your Jacket?

- R

#9 ·
Shorty headers will give you more of a muscle car sound and the REAL benefit of added horse power. The exhaust manifolds on your 5.7 are your choke hold right now. Search this site for used SRT shorties or pick up a pair like JBA for example. You'll probably need a tune but it will be worth the increase in power.

#10 ·
If I already have a performance exhaust, will adding high flow cats make a noticeable difference in sound?

To be more specific, I have the solo performance exhaust system on my 5.7. The system sounds absolutely amazing at WOT, and very little drone on the highway. With that said, I woundnt mind the system to be a little louder, especially at idle or cruising at 45 mph. Will adding the solo cats add any sound if I already have the solo cat-back exhaust system?

Shorty headers will give you more of a muscle car sound and the REAL benefit of added horse power. The exhaust manifolds on your 5.7 are your choke hold right now. Search this site for used SRT shorties or pick up a pair like JBA for example. You'll probably need a tune but it will be worth the increase in power.
Would shorties give a noticeable increase in sound if I already have catback system?

#11 ·
Would shorties give a noticeable increase in sound if I already have catback system?

I'm not sure on the sound but I would have to say yes. I know your thread is based around the "sound" of your exhaust, however if you put shorty headers on your car and get rid of those very restrictive exhaust manifolds you will reap great rewards. Just do a search on here-something like; SRT shorties on 5.7. I'll be honest with you, my first mod on my '13 SRT was a cat back. I know I DEFINITELY would be getting rid of my exhaust manifolds if I had a 5.7 liter and go shorties or long tubes, (which ever yields the best for that motor), and a cat back as my first mod. After I did that what ever the sound ended up like I'm sure it would be awesome. Keep us posted.

#13 ·
I've never seen a shorty headers system that worked - ever. They are more work than they are worth. They are a stop gap for emissions legality rather than a power adder. Is 10 -15 horsepower really worth the time? I've done a lot of real engine dyno testing and if you want HP its long tubes all the way.

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.