Resonator or muffler? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 11:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Resonator or muffler?

I had a pissing contest today at the muffler shop. Told the guy I wanted the resonators removed, dropped the car off this morning and hitched a ride to work. 30 minutes later they call and say my car is done. I go back to the shop and the car is sitting outside so I decide to take a quick peek under the quarter panel as I am walking in and I see that the "resonators" are right where they have always been.

I go in and ask why are the resonators still on the car and the guy launched into a long explanation of the difference between what a resonator is and what a muffler is. I told him that everybody on the forum said the things under the quarter panel are resonators and the mufflers are further forward. Of course, my dork factor went up a few notches in his eyes because here stands a customer who gets his information off the internet instead of believing a trained exhaust professional. After a little more back and forth he convinces me that what he took off were resonators because there was very little baffling at all in these components, they were more or less a straight through pipe.

For $40 I guess I can't complain too much so I head back to work. The car sounded very good with whatever you want to call the piece he removed. A little louder than stock when I romp on it but overall not too bad at all.

So I get back to work and hit the Magnaflow web site thinking I can find a muffler for my car and go back and show him how wrong he is. What I found was that they have a "axle back" system that replaces some of the exhaust tube and the 2 items under the quarter panel at the rear of the car. AND Magnaflow calls these components ... wait for it ... MUFFLERS!

So now I am having a WTF moment. On the up side, I only spent 40 bucks and few minutes of humiliation at the local muffler shop plus the car sounds pretty good to boot. On the down side, I have no idea if the exhaust pieces that everybody on the interwebs is calling a resonator is really a resonator.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the best course of action for anybody contemplating doing this mod would be to point to what you want taken off the car and not try to call it by any name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My belief is the mufflers are under the cabin and the resonators are under the trunk.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 11:39 AM

NO! The mufflers are those 4 black, I mean African-American, things that wrap around the shiny wheels, and the resonator is that thing you turn to steer the car.

(i.e., there is no consistent definition of these things that you can rely on when communicating with other people...there is a historic definition of a resonator, a functional definition, and everything in between...). Might as well call them the front marklar or back marklar.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6929_4.gif

09 Challenger R/T automatic...4 tires, stick-on convex mirror, seats

It's not that I really needed 370 hp...but having 150+ hp riding shotgun at a moment's bidding w/o a 6000 rpm moonshot is what makes me feel like I'm in the right car for me. The roar of a v8 seals the deal!

The Google keyword is "ethanol-free gas". The truth is coming to light. Check out http://pure-gas.org/

Last edited by randycat99; 04-21-2012 at 11:50 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 01:42 PM

(Thread Starter)
"no consistent definition" nails it down for me... That is probably the best explanation I have had so far. At any rate, the stuff way underneath has been removed and the car sounds fine to me. Maybe someday I'll get some Magnaflow things for the very back end and see how that sounds.
Next hurdle will be the first oil change and the dealer's reaction to the removal of said exhaust components. May be the shortest warranty ever known to mankind.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The mufflers are in front and the reso's are in back. If he argues this get a differant muffler guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to renfrick1 For This Useful Post:
b5106 (09-01-2014)
#6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 04:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfrick1 View Post
The mufflers are in front and the reso's are in back. If he argues this get a differant muffler guy.
There are vehicles with the resonators in the back and some in front. Only a Challenger guy would know what Dodge calls them on this car. In fact, in MOST cases, the muffler is in back. So don't blame the "muffler" guy, you should explain which components "you're" talking about whenever work is done. Me...I do everything myself so I need only to argue with myself, and I do it all the time...LOL
#7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 11:13 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
On the challenger the resonators are the abortions by the rear wheels...hence the first on on some chally's are called "suit case muffler". The RT track pact doesn't have the suit case and I got into a contest with STS over that...if you want to do it yourself on a weekend for S&G (sh&ts&giggles) purchase Blastin bob's resonator delete kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skialfs View Post
There are vehicles with the resonators in the back and some in front. Only a Challenger guy would know what Dodge calls them on this car. In fact, in MOST cases, the muffler is in back. So don't blame the "muffler" guy, you should explain which components "you're" talking about whenever work is done. Me...I do everything myself so I need only to argue with myself, and I do it all the time...LOL
#8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Your warranty is okay. Resonators are in the middle and the resonator/mufflers are in the back. Most of us have removed the middle resonators and replaced it with straight stainless steel tubing and then changed the heavy (probably 15lbs each) muffler/resonators in the rear with a preferred muffler. I chose Flowmaster 40's. There are plenty of other options. You can search this site and find hundreds of threads with different opinions. Back in 2009 I read dozens of threads before deciding to remove my resonators because I did not want to void my Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. After plenty of research here, I then verified with my Dodge Dealership that it was okay to remove them, and I went to Meineke and had them do the job for $300.00. I had planned on getting the full Cat-back system installed "when my ship came in" but I've been so happy with the sound and compliments that I've got no desire to "up grade." Although, over the past three years, Zoomers seem to be the way I would go now - if I were to upgrade. Because I like loud old school rumble type exhaust. Be prepared = you're going to get dozens of different responses to this thread proclaiming something different because the large suit case size resonator/mufflers in the back can be called simply "resonators." I have read some positive threads from people who removed the backs and replaced the small middle resonators. You have made a very good - and inexpensive - start. Stick with it for awhile and see how you like it. If you want more muscle = remove those back resonator/mufflers and replace them with your choice of "loud" muffler. But be warned: it is not for the faint of heart. I have seen dozens and dozens of threads where people have done this and then either have the stock welded back on or had to pay $1,500 for the full cat-back because of "drone" complaints. Corsa usually wins the "no drone" competition but then people complain they sound too meek at idle. Main point = you're warranty is fine and you can get your oil changed at your dealership with no worries. FYI = when you do get your oil changed = bring your oil and filter with you and you'll save about $50.00 (total). Just trying to pay back - for all the great advice I have received from the knowledgable members here. Unfortunately, trolls have run most of them off. Beware of anybody that doesn't have their car info posted. I'm still amazed that so many people can afford "multiple" expensive cars but can't afford $40.00 to support this wonderful forum?

Doing What Men Do Best!
2009 Stone White R/T 27J
6-Speed, Sun Roof, Heated Leather
20x8's, HID Lights, Challenger Door Sills, Mopar CAI,
1970 Challenger & R/T Emblem on the rear spoiler,
Gas Charged Hood Supports, Mopar Nose Badge
276-watt 6 Speaker Sound
Exhaust: Flowmaster 40's
Mopar Strut Tower Brace
Fuzzy White Dice

"Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel!"

Last edited by BEIST; 04-22-2012 at 12:11 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 01:41 AM

The resonators are in back near the bumper, the muffler is under the rear seat in the center. However, removing the resonators will usually increase the possibility of drone so you may be better off in any case. (not as likely with the 6spd model as the autos) I've found it best to point out exactly which pieces i want removed rather than depend on a verbal discussion only, it reduces confusion when there are differences in opinion on what parts are called.

Magnaflow makes small resonator replacement mufflers should you decide you don't care for the louder tone you'd have without the reso's.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCregulatoragent View Post
On the challenger the resonators are the abortions by the rear wheels...hence the first on on some chally's are called "suit case muffler". The RT track pact doesn't have the suit case and I got into a contest with STS over that...if you want to do it yourself on a weekend for S&G (sh&ts&giggles) purchase Blastin bob's resonator delete kit.
I KNOW what they're called, my point is many cars have the muffler in back, the Challenger is abnormal with them further front. We could all argue this point till the cows come home...who cares, it doesn't matter at all. People need to communicate with their service people.

On another note, I myself replaced the Flintstone's rack of ribs rear resonators with the Blastin Bob's glass pack on my SRT for $250. Easy job, they sound really good, but they do drone from 1800-2200 rpm. I find it funny how people pull these huge elaborate resonators off their cars and wonder why they drone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode