Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Stock Dual Exhaust

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  NFD3L 
#1 ·
I am looking at upgrading my exhaust on my SE from a single to a dual. I would like to look at getting a stock SRT or RT exhaust. I am also under the impression that some of the new V6's came with stock duals.

Any recommendations? Does anybody have an SRT or RT or even a stock dual off a V6 that they'd be willing to sell?
Thanks!

#4 ·
The stock SRT8 and R/T exhaust will be larger than the V6 and could result is a loss of power, not sure if the stock V8 exhaust will bolt up, either.

If memory serves...

R/T is 2.5"
SRT8 is 2.75"
SE/SXT is 2.25"

#8 ·
I think "back pressure" is the most misunderstood/misused term when it comes to exhaust. :D Exhaust size has to do with power output (As it relates to the volume of exhaust) and exhaust gas scavenging. Simply put, an exhaust that's too small will have an exhaust gas velocity that's too high and the pipe will also be a restriction.

An exhaust that's too large will have an exhaust gas velocity that's too low and it won't pull the gasses out of the cylinder, which means the engine has to push them out, wasting power.

A properly sized exhaust will allow proper scavenging with minimal or no restriction. This scavenging is basically the ability of exhaust gas pulses to "draft" the pulse in front of them, getting pulled along by it. This effect pulls the exhaust gas out of the cylinder so the engine doesn't have to do the work, which translates into the engine being more efficient and producing more power to the wheels.

#10 ·
I am not trying to agree or disagree. Just sharing my recent experience. I thought I would try it and worse case put my old system back on. But I feel no difference at low rpm and the sound is perfect. Still pulles hard at wot but I have no proof for performace gain other then what I hear and feel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've always heard that anything past the cats won't cause too little of backpressure. If you were catless then yes, 2.75" is way too big but as long as you are running stock cats, you probably won't notice any power loss.
A lot of the R/T people are running straight pipes from the cats back and they didn't seem to notice any power loss as well. I have no data to support this, just repeating what was posted on other threads.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.