Dodge Challenger Forum banner

supercharger for 2014 R/T daily driver

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  cannonballcobb 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon guys,

Im looking into a procharger supercharger for my new R/T and was wanting to know if anybody has had any luck with these superchargers and if 8PSI boost is to much. Input and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, but looking to beef up and hoping the 5.7 can handle the added power and what other mods to you suggest

#2 ·
Im installing a vortech v3 system on my 2009 RT this weekend. Personally, just from knowledge of fluids and heat dissipation, i would get the vortech instead of the procharger. An air to water cooler like vortechs, is much more efficient than an air to air cooler like procharger. That part is may be neglible to some though.

My car has 130k miles, so VERY shortly after supercharger installation, it will be getting a methanol injection system that me and a buddy are building. Aside from the performance gains with methanol injection, its VERY valuable in longevity and insurance. (Obviously I wont be tuning for it since its for engine protection).

Dont know if the 2014s have the same exhaust manifolds as the 2009 5.7, but that would be one of the first things to go, as well as the stock thermostat (more insurance). Just my .02

#4 ·
personally, since my car is like yours (a daily driver) i would steer clear of positive displacement superchargers. Yes, they produce more power down low, but the neck snapping seems like it would get old after a while for a DD. Also, centri blowers are more efficient up high.

#5 ·
You obviously have never been in a Magnasun equipped car, have you? Unless you're power braking it at every stop light, there is no neck snapping of which you speak. Magnasuns have a BOV that resticts boost untill about 2800 rpm (or thereabouts). Driving around "normal" it acts normal until one steps on it and then the boost builds, just like a centri does. Boost just comes in more quickly, once it does come in, than a centri.
I would agree, "if" one is looking for extreme amounts of boost (over 12psi) a centri or would be a better choice; but, as far as a daily driver goes, Magnasun has found the sweet spot with it's kit. I would assume an Edelbrock comes in similarly as they are both TVS SC's.
To the OP, you will find most that have SC's are very supportive of the brand they have.

#6 ·
I will make it simple all of the complete 5.7L kits out there work very well, None of them out perform the other at the factory boost levels you are aiming for. If you know for sure that you are going to forged and up the boost later down the road, That is where you need to start looking at particular models.

#7 ·
Regardless of what your opnions are about efficiency (and its not an "opinion" that centri's are more efficient, it's a cold hard fact) positive displacement superchargers CANNOT and WILL NOT ever to be able to offer the cooling benefits of a centri setup. This is the main reason i suggest centri over p/d. And personally, even if i DID have a p/d, i would not want it to curb boost until a certain rpm, because that is the sole advantage they have over a centri. So theyre basically negating their only advantage. Doesnt make sense to me

#8 ·
You're all over the place on this, in addition to trying to start a debate over which SC is better. I'm not biting. They each offer their own distinct benifits AND cons. As far as "cooling benifits", you haven't a clue, just as your prior post over the "neck-snapping" demonstrates. ALL SC's produce heat, it's inherent to the physics of compressing air. There isn't a cooling benifit of centri's over a positive displacement blower. Don't believe me? After you put that Vortech on yours, run it for an hour, come back, open the hood and give it a great big kiss. After your lips stop blistering, tell me about the "cooling benifits" of the centri SC. Further, look at where the air filter is on a typical centri install: right over the valve cover/exhaust manifold. Run your car for a little and hold your hand over that area and see if heat isn't coming out. Great place to get cool air for the intake charge-NOT!
Further, I never stated anything about the efficiency of one type over the other. Reread my response to your post. You give advice, based on OPINION rather than experience and fact. If you like a centri over a PD, go for it, your money; but please don't give advice as if it's experience, when you obviously have none, when it comes to SCing. And for the record, I am not telling the OP his choice is or is not correct, FOR HIM. He asked for input and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, not your opinion that a centri is the only way to go, because you happen to be purchasing one.

#12 ·
I think the ProCharger will be an excellent choice. They are very efficient and work well with a lot of support for their product. Good luck on your choice!

#13 ·
The OP may consider installing a higher volume fuel pump, instead of a BAP... Nothing wrong with the BAP really, however with a 5.7 R/T a 392 OEM fuel pump is a direct swap. That's what I did and it really made things easy, "plug and play".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.