Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Transmission manual shifting

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  SC426 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if they offer something that will let me control when I want to shift my trans and not the computer? Also is there a way to lock the converter?

#3 ·
You don't have auto-stick mode with your auto? That should give you more control anyway.

#4 ·
2009 built by Southern Hot Rod

#5 ·
If you use autostick mode then the only time the computer will automatically shift for you is when you hit redline or when you come to a stop. Other than those situations, you're in control of when the trans shifts.

Under what conditions are you wanting control of when the TCC locks? This happens automatically, so I'm curious to know when you'd like to manually lock it.

#6 ·
Trans Shifting

Yes I have it in auto stick, that doesn't matter. As soon as it brakes the tires loose it will **** into next gear and lose power if its not really moving out. I have this problem it always slow me down. Regarding the converter I want to lock it because I can feel the difference in power when its locked up and when its not. When it goes into boost is where I need it to lock up.

#7 ·
You can buy a Mopar TCM (MTCM). The MTCM for that year takes away the auto up-shift (in Autostick) on that year. It also changes when the torque converter locks up. I installed one on my car years ago.

I bought it for the very same reason you want one: I wanted to be able to modulate the pedal with the tires spinning and keep it in first gear. I loved it! Then, when I was installing my blower, I was advised to remove the MTCM, and I did. My engine internals are stock and it is believed that the full power on-off-on-off when I modulate the pedal would tear the motor up. I miss the Hold-In-Gear feature of the MTCM dearly.

There are also people that can modify your TCM to give your TCM this feature, as well as a lot more options. Customizable TCMs have developed a lot recently. I know AJ does it. I can't think of the others at the moment. With your level of mods and power, I would look into the customized TCM route because it can be dialed-in to exactly what you want it to do.

#8 · (Edited)
Mike at OST Dyno is the other place I was thinking of that does customizable TCMs. He will set it up specifically for your application and desires. Mike is well known as a great Hemi tuner. I will ask him to chime-in.

#10 ·
I all ready have that part. It still doesn't work.

#13 ·
I have put in two and Arrington has installed the third one and it still don't work. I read what you have attached and not sure if I can do that. My car will not run on a stock tune. Please give me more info

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.