Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Updates to my SRT

42K views 188 replies 25 participants last post by  A Guy 
#1 ·
Here are the mods that have been installed or will be installed on my SRT. I wanted to start a thread so I could show the mods in one place. I-ll update the thread as the mods get installed

Here's what came with it when I purchased it:
- 2015 Challenger SRT
- Granite Crystal
- 6 gear manual tranny
- Tech Group
- Sunroof
- Black Laguna Leather
- Red Seat Belts

Mods being installed:
- Borla ATAK Catback
- SunTek Ceramic Ultra 35% Tint
- Sick Badging Technologies Custom Badge
- Barton Shifter
- Carbon Racing Stripes
- Whipple 2.9L Supercharger
- Kooks Long Tube Headers
- Billet Technologies Under Hood Kit
- Billet Technologies Door Lock Kit
- Billet Technologies Valve Cover
- Billet Technologies Coil Pack Covers

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The Sick Badging Technologies badge has been installed.

Attachments

#3 ·
The widows were tinted with SunTeck Ceramic Ultra 35% last Saturday. The rear window will be redone this coming Saturday due to the inlay being slightly off center. The ceramic tint really makes a difference with keeping the inside cooler while out in the sun.

Attachments

#4 ·
The Barton shifter was installed yesterday. The install wasn't bad except for the right front pin. If you are going to install the Barton shifter, I highly recommend putting cardboard under the car so you can easily catch the pin as you drop it. I dropped the pin many times before I could get it installed.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
The Borla ATAK catback was installed last Saturday. Love the sound. I installed the 140678 version which deleted the MDS values and adds simulated values. The computer wasn't fooled by the simulators and I have a check engine light on. This will be tuned out when the supercharger and the tuning for it is installed.

Here's a video of what the exhaust sounds like. I did the video right after washing the car so when I rev it up, the exhaust clears out the water in the tips.

Reactions: MCLOVIN
#6 ·
Sorry for the video link, I don't see a way to add a youtube video.
It was the youtu.be address, need a regular youtube address

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FyYTPpbIw

Just post the full address and the forum will embed it

A Guy

#8 ·
The carbon fiber racing stripes were installed today. Also had the rear window Batman tint inlay replaced. The first inlay wasn't straight or centered.

The next thing to be installed will be the Whipple supercharger. Its scheduled to be dropped off at Arrington Performance on 8/15.

Attachments

Reactions: DJsChallenger
#10 ·
Thanks.

#12 ·
Thanks.

#13 ·
The brown truck just delivered a set of Kooks long tube headers and high flow cats. Just in time for me to load them in the car for Monday morning's drive to Arrington. I'll have Arrington install them at the same time as the supercharger. The quality of the Kooks headers looks very good.

Attachments

#14 ·
Those look great, your car will be awesome ;)

A Guy

Reactions: KirkS
#15 ·
Congrats on the mods! She's going to be a BEAST!

Are you getting drop in pistons and rods too or just the headers and blower?

I'm looking forward to your results!

I like the Batman insignia on the rear window too! It's kind of like a rolling bat signal! :smile:

#16 ·
Thanks guys.
@FreddyG ... At this time, just the supercharger and headers. The superchager was originally purchased for a Durango but my plans changed and I traded the Durango in for the SRT. After talking to Arrington, the game plan is to install the supercharger (since I already have it) and keep the boost at a safe amount to protect the stock pistons. I will also purchase the 3 year 36k miles warranty Whipple provides as added insurance. Then in about a year or so, I'll be looking to have a completely forged Arringon 426 built for the car.

Reactions: Blueboar
#17 ·
Thanks guys.
@FreddyG ... At this time, just the supercharger and headers. The superchager was originally purchased for a Durango but my plans changed and I traded the Durango in for the SRT. After talking to Arrington, the game plan is to install the supercharger (since I already have it) and keep the boost at a safe amount to protect the stock pistons. I will also purchase the 3 year 36k miles warranty Whipple provides as added insurance. Then in about a year or so, I'll be looking to have a completely forged Arringon 426 built for the car.
Thanks for the info! Either way, it's going to run like a Beast!

Good Luck and looking forward to hearing your results! :cheers:

#18 ·
Dropped off my car at Arrington Performance this morning for the supercharger and header installation. Wyatt gave me a tour of the facilities. They have a really nice setup and the people are super nice.

#19 · (Edited)
Mispost :(

#20 ·
Here's the baseline dyno run before the work was started.

Attachments

#24 ·
The SRT is back home. Arrington installed the Kooks headers and Whipple supercharger.

Attachments

#25 ·
And here's the numbers we've been waiting for. I can say, I'm one happy camper :grin2:

Attachments

Reactions: DJsChallenger
#27 ·
Looks good, congrats on the numbers!!
Thanks.

Fyi, your car doesn't have tech pkg.
I'm pretty sure I have the Tech Group, at least that's what the sticker says. Since I don't have an auto tranny I don't have the Adaptive Speed Control and Forward Collision Warning, but I do have the rest of the features for the package,

Attachments

#31 ·
Thanks. I was assured by Arrington that staying under 8 psi of boost was the key to being safe. I have no plans to take it to the track at this time so hopefully she holds up until I can get a forged 426 installed. For added insurance, I also purchased the engine warranty that Whipple has.

#32 ·
Congrats, great numbers :thumbsup:

A Guy

#34 ·
Coming from a fellow Whipple installed 392 I would now concentrate on suspension and tires now. I have essentiality the same thing except I have the 2011.

I was honestly slower after the install due to lack of traction. I installed a complete hop not kit, strut braces, 305 width radial drag slicks, frame rail braces, and a drive shaft loop. The last two for body twist protection and to insure that if the drive shaft broke it would t damage too much hopefully. You add a stroked block with higher boost and your issues will be even greater. I would highly suggest upgraded axels and drive shaft in addition prior to your install. They make good winter projects. I installed everything including the Whipple. It was a lot of fun.

#35 ·
Thanks Guys. Bigger tires and upgrading the suspension sounds like great advice. Yesterday evening the wife and I took it for a little drive. Even with the traction control on, the back tires easily broke lose from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and I was only bringing her up to about 4500 rpm before shifting.

Can I fit a wider tire on the 9.5 inch rims or do I need to replace the rims?

This morning I washed the 700 mile round trip road grim off of the car and then decided to do a little video showing the sound of the supercharger, headers and catback.

#37 ·
Yes you can. I had 275 on my stock rims and they fit easily. I did mount some 305s and they worked. However I ended up buying Hurst stunners in the 10 in rim in the end because I wanted to just change the look. Here is the best picture I have of them. I need to take some new photos. Don't worry about rub when the tire is off the ground. Since our cars don't have straight axels they bow way down when jacked fully off the ground. The tire may barely touch or be very close. Check the clearance once the car is actually on the ground.

#38 ·
Thanks guys.

Arrington uploaded the dyno run video to youtube:

#39 ·
Thanks for the videos! Your car turned out Awesome and we all know that the Granite is worth at least another 40 rwhp! :grin2:

Definitely spring for some tires! I had a set of CCW Big Rollers (18x10.5 in front and 18x11.5 in back) on my old C5 Vette with some 335 Michelin's off of a Viper and they worked fine while it was a bolt on car, but after I put on the blower (Vortech T-Trim with 11-12 psi) and was making over 600 to the wheels, it became too much for them.

I remember taking my wife for her first ride in it on the Michelin's and I rolled a bit too hard into it and the car burned them from 25-30 mph and did a donut! She was screaming and calling me names that I'd rather not repeat, while I was peeing in my pants! I put some Nitto 555R's on and the car ended up really liking them (enough to run a 10.52 and 129 out the back door in street trim).

That car surprised quite a few cars when I was cruising in Mexico (if you know what I mean :wink3:). Tires make that big of a difference and today, there are way more choices for sticky tires than I had back then.

Please Drive Safely! :cheers:

#40 ·
Thanks for the videos! Your car turned out Awesome and we all know that the Granite is worth at least another 40 rwhp! :grin2:

Definitely spring for some tires! I had a set of CCW Big Rollers (18x10.5 in front and 18x11.5 in back) on my old C5 Vette with some 335 Michelin's off of a Viper and they worked fine while it was a bolt on car, but after I put on the blower (Vortech T-Trim with 11-12 psi) and was making over 600 to the wheels, it became too much for them.

I remember taking my wife for her first ride in it on the Michelin's and I rolled a bit too hard into it and the car burned them from 25-30 mph and did a donut! She was screaming and calling me names that I'd rather not repeat, while I was peeing in my pants! I put some Nitto 555R's on and the car ended up really liking them (enough to run a 10.52 and 129 out the back door in street trim).

That car surprised quite a few cars when I was cruising in Mexico (if you know what I mean :wink3:). Tires make that big of a difference and today, there are way more choices for sticky tires than I had back then.

Please Drive Safely! :cheers:

Thanks. I think tires will be the next purchase. Until then, I plan to take it easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.