Viper Engine - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Heat Stroke - In Freezer Now

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Viper Engine

I have a 2013 SXT Plus I want to swap out the engines and put a faster engine in there it's a guy selling a 1998 Viper GTS engine with only 20,000 miles on it for $4,000 I really wanna do it but I want some opinions about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You should sell it to me so I can put it in my Indy Ram. No actually I think it would be awesome but I'm fairly certain that you will make more power for cheaper if you swap a HEMI in it since the platform is Already made for it. The V10 would be better for boost but you'll have to do a lot of custom design work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Daniel

(○○[‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾]○○) `12 SXT Base-Pitch Black-Aftermarket steering wheel cover lol
(○○[‾‾‾‾‾S̅R̅T̅]○○) `11 SRT 392 Inaugural Edition-Deep Water Blue-Stock

HAVE AN INAUGURAL EDITION 392? WANT TO ADD IT TO THE IE 392 DATABASE? PLEASE POST YOUR CAR'S INFORMATION HERE: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...atabase-67043/

███ ██ █ ████ everything ███ ███ is ████ ██ ████ fine ████ ████ trust. █████ ███ █ ███ your ████ ███ government ███ █
#3 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:16 PM

(Thread Starter)
That's what I was thinking that it should be faster if i put the viper engine in but I didn't know cause the challenger is heavier than the viper so i was torn between the hemi or srt-10 engine
#4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rudedog Send a message via Skype™ to Rudedog
Search the forums, someone has been building one for a while.

MyPlumCrazyChallenger | Central Florida Challenger Owners

2010 Challenger R/T Classic | Plum Crazy Pearl | 6sp | sun roof | STP | Leather | Sound Group II w/Nav (730N) | MOROSO Tanks| Lockpick v.4 w/cam | Petty Garage STB | Trinity-Custom tuned by OSTmike | Hust S/T shifter | BT Engine bling | PASSPORT Qi45 | AT cat back | AFR true shaker/TA hood | braided hoses | AN fittings | JBA shorties | Hi-flow cats | H/O API Supercharger @8lbs | API Dual Fuel Pump
#5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:41 PM

(Thread Starter)
Building a viper engine or a challenger with a viper engine ?
#6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:51 PM

The viper will rev a shit load faster than the hemi with the same power. Mods, you will need a transmission for the viper motor as well as custom engine and transmission mounts to get it to work. You might want to look for an appropriate speedometer because factory one won't be calibrated correctly and I don't see the point in having one that raps out at 160 when you have that kind of power. Now, the only thing I don't like about the powertrain is the sound. Either you should anticipate the fact that the Hemi swap will cost a lot less. Just keep that in mind.

I love American muscle cars like a thrice-divorced 45-year old tax attorney loves barely legal coeds. That is to say; passionately, inappropriately and almost certainly inadequately while muttering whispered apologies to the beautiful thing I am probably ruining forever.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwglenn View Post
Building a viper engine or a challenger with a viper engine ?
Both. The thread is titled "oh no what did I do?" but the ever present stupidity of our search tool won't allow me to look for it.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:56 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Ride View Post
The viper will rev a shit load faster than the hemi with the same power. Mods, you will need a transmission for the viper motor as well as custom engine and transmission mounts to get it to work. You might want to look for an appropriate speedometer because factory one won't be calibrated correctly and I don't see the point in having one that raps out at 160 when you have that kind of power. Now, the only thing I don't like about the powertrain is the sound. Either you should anticipate the fact that the Hemi swap will cost a lot less. Just keep that in mind.
You made some valid points if i do the hemi swap i can just drop it in right ?
#9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwglenn View Post
You made some valid points if i do the hemi swap i can just drop it in right ?
Don't be fooled, nothing is just a simple "drop it in", not even a HEMI swap. You'll need...

PCM
Rear diff
Driveshaft
Gauge cluster?
Radiator?
Suspension?

There are at least a couple V10-swap Challengers around, not to mention Chrysler made the race-only Challenger Drag Pak with a V10, so it's definitely possible and something I'd love to do. I say go for it, however...it sounds as though you're jumping in over your head with any swap if you have no idea what's involved. Certainly a good way to learn, but it's not going to be easy no matter what route you go.

Also, I don't know where you live but you should check your smog laws. If you're in California, for example, it's not legal to install a replacement engine that's older than the vehicle it's being installed into. So if I want to do a V10 swap into my 2011 then I have to use a 2011 or newer V10 that also meets California emissions.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Hydro Blue sexiness
RIP 11/2/14 - 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

Last edited by Yahooligan; 06-05-2013 at 06:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yahooligan For This Useful Post:
Rwglenn (06-05-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned

What kind of fabrication skills do you have.. Probably better to just trade in the SXT and get a HEMI
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoostKing For This Useful Post:
Bradley Manning wannabe (06-09-2013), SRT_ART (06-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode