What is the best exhaust to go with? - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 AM

Photos: (0)
Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,052 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by j.jones7 View Post
That's why you probably cant decide on what's a good exhaust because you to busy criticizing vice listen! You probably one of those owners who thinks a muscle car should sound like your dads ram 1500 with straight pipes! The vid wasn't for you it was for the OP so he could get what a exhaust would sound like at full throttle and not just someone sitting in there drive way revving there motors! Drive ability is what's important! Not just sitting at a stand steel revving ur motor! But I guess cause you agree with certain exhaust it makes you a expert on exhaust! What gives you credit is actually purchasing a exhaust then helping someone or giving someone a sample of what you purchased and why u purchased it!
Why don't you read my post again and realize that I was simply thanking Omaha for posting some good and detailed info in this thread instead of making assumptions about others. It's clear you know nothing about me or what I like.

The OP was chided for not doing a search but very little of the input in all those threads is actually meaningful - that's the point I was making. As you recognize, YouTube vids of a guy revving in his driveway or doing a drive-by can't really give you an idea of what it will be to live with an exhaust. The suggestion to look for owners who made the mods and meet them in person is probably the best. In the meantime, preliminary research online to narrow down the options is smart. But people have to articulate their observations and the reasons for their choices, not just state "I use this"; now that's just noise (pun intended).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to USRWDV8 For This Useful Post:
OmahaRumble (12-01-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by USRWDV8 View Post
Why don't you read my post again and realize that I was simply thanking Omaha for posting some good and detailed info in this thread instead of making assumptions about others. It's clear you know nothing about me or what I like.

The OP was chided for not doing a search but very little of the input in all those threads is actually meaningful - that's the point I was making. As you recognize, YouTube vids of a guy revving in his driveway or doing a drive-by can't really give you an idea of what it will be to live with an exhaust. The suggestion to look for owners who made the mods and meet them in person is probably the best. In the meantime, preliminary research online to narrow down the options is smart. But people have to articulate their observations and the reasons for their choices, not just state "I use this"; now that's just noise (pun intended).
U are absolutely correct I don't know anything about you! I read your posting and being I didn't see any other vid posted I assumed u where stating the vid I posted! I hear tons of vd clips on this forum and some are awesome and some are horrible! I just was giving the OP some options to listen to! I believe if he thought my exhaust was something he was interested in he would respond why I choose and what I like about my choice! My preference might not be your cup of tea or the OP! Thats why there was not a explanation to why I choose magnaflow in my original posting!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
H&R springs, Speed logic front and rear adjustable end links, Speed logic adjustable front and rear sway bar, Speed logic carbon fiber CAI, Powder coated red 392 catch can with braided black lines, Niche 22x9 front and 22x10.5 rear rims. Magna-flow custom 3 inch exhaust with resonators deleted factory tips, Kicker 12 subs with Memphis 1000w mono amp, Custom tint.

HULK7
The Following User Says Thank You to j.jones7 For This Useful Post:
USRWDV8 (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,052 Posts
Sorry if it sounded like I was attacking your own vid - I wasn't. Imperfect as they are to make a decision, they're still a helpful tool. To better help the OP we should probably ask him to be more specific. How much volume and drone can he tolerate? Does he just want a more retro note or to become public enemy #1 on his street? Is his car a weekend toy or a daily driver? Do other people than him drive it? What other cars sound good to him? Etc.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 AM

Thanked 1,354 Times in 838 Posts
I hear only a handful people talk about magnaflows. All I hear is corsa zoomers and solos. Before I put on mine I did some research for a few weeks. It all comes down to preference. He's gotta take all this in and make a decision. But if u guys try to give options, at least include all. I feel a little bias out there towards magnaflows. Well for me, after all that research I went with magnaflow 16885 and have no regrets. My 2

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (1)
My two cents...

Originally Posted by nickp8484 View Post
I have a 2012 R/T Dodge Challenger & I want it to sound meaner. Any suggestions on what kind of exhaust I should go with?
I also have a 2012 RT Classic and I recently shelled out just under $2000 for my Borla ATAK setup. It's less than a month old and here's my observations so far (up front - my autotrans is a daily driver, I'm the only driver, and I have a Mopar CAI):
-For ordering and install, I went through an local authorized dealer via Borla website. A local Corvette custom shop took good care of me, my ride, and worked around my tough work/travel schedule. It took Borla a few weeks to custom manufacture and ship my set up. After talking with them, each Borla exhaust system is custom to a particular car (an SRT ATAK is different from an RT ATAK, is different from a Mustang, Camaro, etc.).

-It's loud and mean at start up but sounds differently while moving vise sitting still and revving. I'm not a fan of sitting still revving, but after start up, once the engine idles down, it's not too loud.

-It's loud and mean while I'm driving with windows up and obviously with windows down. I mostly drive with windows up and I LIKE that i can hear the exhaust accentuate the up and down shift of the transmission.

-Even though it's loud and mean on local streets, on the highway, there is no "drone"... that monotone background noise that drives people nuts! On the highway between 2k-3k RPM, the exhaust actually quiets down until i lay the hammer down and it sounds off again. Disclaimer - my hearing is not so good because my job and I listen to music rather loud and I LIKE that i can still hear the exhaust over the road noise/stock radio. In other words, background noise is nothing new and I'm used to it.

-Since installing, my ride seems to drive like a totally different car - really hard to explain this but with the CAI and stock exhaust gone - it just drives and feels differently.

-Unconnect phone call downside (i guess)... when my old lady calls me, I have to talk loud and she's told me that on her end, the exhaust kind of overpowers the phone call... whatever. Although when she rode shotgun after the install, she admitted it's not as loud as she though it would be (yes - wife buy-in!!).

I had to save my cash for this purchase, and while doing this, i did a ton of research online to narrow down options. But as a lot of the other guys on this thread have mentioned, there are a ton of options and other threads which was kind of overwhelming (too many options and they all started sounding the same). I have to admit though, I didn't go out to find other R/T rides with different exhaust setups to listen to them in person. Probably should have but for some reason, the Borla ATAK set up kept catching my eye, and I would find myself going back to their website to listen to their exhaust options. Finally said f*ck it and went with the gut feeling - Borla ATAK. My ride definitely sounds meaner and it's awesome! Hope this helps.
-Custom MOPAR stitched head rests

Last edited by Straight Shooter!; 12-03-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm going with the Borla ATAK on my R/T as it has the most appealing sound for me and sound is really what's it's all about when it comes to exhaust setups.

Last edited by Bradd_D; 12-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Banned

Those tips dont really look right in the bumper, it looks to far out and not spaced right +/
Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 AM

I love my Flowmaster American Thunder catback. It sounds mean at any speed and at idle.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:26 AM

any comments on the Pypes "violator" brand cat back? I've spoken with a local shop and that is what they have recommended . . . . I'm indifferent as to the brand, in as much I want a little roar but not wake up the neighbors over the top.

'12 R/T Classic - STP - 3.06 Rear Axel/Anti-Spin Dif - SG II 430N
MODS: MOPAR CAI - 85mm TB - BT Catch Can - Flowmaster Super 44's Catback - Trinity w/ 93 octane tune - 363 torque /336 hp / 0-60 4.84 sec.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 AM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Originally Posted by Megojim View Post
any comments on the Pypes "violator" brand cat back? I've spoken with a local shop and that is what they have recommended . . . . I'm indifferent as to the brand, in as much I want a little roar but not wake up the neighbors over the top.
Very good catback. Aggressive note, but not too loud. Sound and quality similar to that of Flowmaster. Has a pretty good muscle car sound.
AFE Stage II cold air intake
Barton short throw shifter
Fastman ported throttle body
Diablo CMR tune by Johan
Mopar strut tower brace
Mopar hood struts
Razors Edge rear control arms & tension bars
Jet 180* t-stat
SRT8 6.1 chin spoiler
Billet Technology catch can
Beltronics Pro 300 radar detector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.