Why you need a catch can - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Performance Modifications Want to talk about performance modifications for your Dodge Challenger? This is the forum for that. Anything from exhaust systems to power adders and everything in between. (Dodge Challenger Performance Modifications)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Why you need a catch can

There was a cam swap "party" recently and we had the opportunity to pull the intake off of a 2007 6.1L with 36000 miles. The engine has never had a catch can installed and as you can see there is a substantial oil build up. More compelling evidence, I just wish there had been similar opportunity with an engine that has had the catch can for comparison.

I realize that most of the Challengers out there have not yet reached this much mileage, but it seems that installing a catch can from the get go makes more sense now.

I am no engine expert by any means, Since I had the camera I was asked to post these. So don't ask me any technical questions.

Views of the top of the engine and intake

Underside of the intake manifold

Stuff: Custom Engine Cover, ARIA S/N 83 CAI, 180 TStat, 85mm Ported Throttle Body, 6.1L Exhaust Headers and JBA Hi Flow Mids, Corsa Sport Catback, SLP Line Lock, BT Catch Can, Nose Badge, and Dress Up Kit, Hotchkis Sport Sways, MyGiG Lockpick and Brandmotion backup camera, Tint, DRLs, Sequential Tails, MOPAR Hood Struts, Splash Guards, and Trunk Lid Liner, Radar detector/Blendmount, EZ-Pull Trunk Handles, Interior/Exterior full LEDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Mumber

Yummy! A catch can was the very first thing I did on my SRT. I put it on at 160 miles so I feel confident that I won't be cleaning sludge for fun.

I LOVE ChallengerTalk.com!
#3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
[QUOTE=Spin2Win;505102] More compelling evidence, I just wish there had been similar opportunity with an engine that has had the catch can for comparison.

So do I.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Banned

Excellent proof....where are all the nay sayers now?
#5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:24 PM

Mine was the other cam swap that Spin2win is posting about. I wouldn't have minded tearing into mine for a comparison but the guy with the 300 went and got the only head gaskets within an hour drive of where we were...lol. That and we were having a heck of a time with the front fascia making my cam swap take two hours longer than the 300s, I just couldn't ask the guys helping out to take apart more stuff on my car.

I have around 9200 miles on mine. I have had a catch can since around 500 miles. There is a little oil that gets around the throttle body gasket but nothing near what would build up to what's in these pictures. Just looking in the manifold with a flashlight, mine is still clean.

Mods: BT catch can, CAI, 180 tstat, 85 mm cast TB, custom tune, FM Super 40s, cam, Hurst shifter, sway bars, strut brace, adjustable KW coil-overs, 1000HP axles, Nitto NT05 street drags, some non-performance related stuff.

2009 Silver SRT8 6-speed
1 of 351 sold
#6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Hi, Im a noob here, not to hijack, but where can I get a catch can for mine? Thanks!
#7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Mumber

I have a Stack performance with a z bracket from some other company that I can't recall? There are a few companies who make em. Just depends on what you want it to look like. I have about 700 miles on her now and when I did my 500 mile oil change I found about a quarter of an inch of oil in it. That's after 200 miles without going over 3000 rpm.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned for excessive flatulence in a public place

Yuck. Nice post.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparguy7074 View Post
Hi, Im a noob here, not to hijack, but where can I get a catch can for mine? Thanks!
Just poke around the vendor areas on this forum, there's a number of them offering catch cans. Mines a Billet Tech.

I had about 1/4" of oil in mine after about a month of daily driving. My last 5000 mile oil change (I'm using 0W-40 full synthetic), the catch can was just over half full.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:57 PM

YIPES!!!! Glad I got mine at 500 miles about 250 miles ago

AIRBORNE
OUT!

2010 TorRed SRT8, 6 speed Predator custom tune, 180 thermostat, K&N CAI, Catch Can, Resonator Delete, 70's Style Hurst pistol grip shifter.
305/35/20 Nitto Drag Radials on rear
Dyno results;
387.61RWHP 388.00RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode