Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Barton vs Hurst, which is better?

25K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  maxcichon 
#1 ·
Being that they're so close in price, is there any real difference between the Barton and Hurst shifters? Preparing to buy one or the other, just hoping somebody who has experience with both units can chime in. Done a lot of searching on the forum but there doesn't seem to be a clear preference one way or the other...

#2 · (Edited)
Like night and day to say the least, IMO there is only 1% slop in the barton after the break in period and none in the beginning... Now on the other hand the hurst is sloppy out of the box and for the most part stays consistently at 50% slop...hurst is made in china and the barton in the USA, you have to see and feel them side by side to appreciate the differences

#3 ·
I had the Hurst in my my 09. Way, better than stock. Only had the car two years, with no problems. But seems there had been problems with breakage. So this time I went with Barton. IMHO a superior product. The shifter is one of the best mod s I ever did on any of my cars.

Are you going to the show on LI Sunday? If so u can check it out.

#21 ·
Hi, I noticed your comment about the Long Island show this Sunday. I plan on attending and have been considering the Barton (pending the $500). I've only heard great comments about it. Hope to get a chance to meet you and take a look at the shifter.
Regards,
John

#4 · (Edited)
American product installed on American Muscle. Go with the Barton!

I purchased the hurst short throw shifter and later purchased the G&K upgrade aka Larry's Hurst Shifter Mod which is to make it way better and stronger. However, I have yet to incorporate the G&K upgrade to the shifter and will honestly say it is very sloppy. Stock one was better but longer shift throws.

If the G&K upgrade doesn't give me what I want, I have the Barton on my parts list to swap out. Unfortunately, the guys site that offered the G&K upgrade is no longer available. The hurst with the G&K upgrade come out to about the same/round the same price as the Barton would.

My way of seeing it, Hurst shouldn't need to have a mod to make their shifter better. IMO if I did my research more before i bought the original hurst, I would have gone Barton. Just working with what I got right now.

#5 ·
I don't have either right now, but will real soon. Which ones better you ask? Ones made in the United States of America. The other in one of only three communist countries left on this planet. You decide.

#6 · (Edited)
I think it's widely agreed upon that the Barton unit is superior to Hurst, but I disagree with the above poster that says the Hurst is no better than stock. It's still a bit sloppy, but the increased feel and shorter throws are a big improvement. I also recently had the G&K performance modified throw rod(Larry's mod) installed(wish I would have done it when I initially installed my Hurst) but that brought another big increase in feel...and also noise LOL but it's nice to know it wont break when I'm banging the gears.

They both increase interior noise levels, from what I read, the Hurst more so than the Batron.

However, if the old school pistol grip look is desired(this was my main reason to get a different shifter as I thought the stock unit was more than adequate), the Hurst unit definitely is the winner here.

The Barton wasn't out when I bought my shifter, if I was getting one now I don't know which one I would choose.

The look and feel of this bad boy makes me happy to have it every time I get into my car! :)

Reactions: R/T-Randy
#7 ·
Barton ftw, consider this-

Barton came on this site and asked for feed back on how to improve the product, met with customers to help with install, modified a few for install etc. Genuine customer support, and care as well as a rock solid product. There's no comparison!

#8 ·
I've had both..... here's what I think

Barton
- MUCH better machined/engineered, bulletproof (don't think you can break this shifter)
- A super strong centering spring which makes going through the gears effortless yet direct with a nice "click"
-MADE IN USA <--- can't say that much anymore can ya?
- Looks better (personal opinion)
- Quieter than stock! (of course I have a Zoomers exhaust and I removed my rubber tunnel cover)

Hurst
- better than stock but still has tons of slop.. the o rings will eventually wear out and you will be pushing a stick through pudding. The G&K mod fixes this, but like others have said, why spend MORE on a MOD for a MOD?
- MADE IN CHINA (Hurst used to be great in the 60s but like most big companies they have sold out to the Chinese, so products are not where they should be quality-wise and workmanship).
- NOISY!!! Go look up some threads on how to silence this piece of work. Even doing all the necessary steps, I still had bad interior noise.

There is really no comparison. Go with Barton, buy the best shifter for our cars, and help support honest, hard working small American business! :bigthumb:

#9 ·
I wouldn't even consider the Hurst. The Barton is next on my list. I'm excited. I didn't order the shifter itself, just the linkage. I plan on keeping my Mopar brushed aluminum shifter.

#10 · (Edited)
Well I'm sold, thanks for the advice, guys. Barton shifter will be the first mod to my Challenger. Now if I can only wait until 10K miles like I said I would (4300 to go, but who's counting)...

#12 ·
Funny that Hurst is labeled a POS even on other car platforms.

I am new to the Challenger. Only have 500 miles on my 2014, but I came from a GTO that I owned for years. Hurst was the biggest crap you could buy in the market of shifters. Our best option was either the GMM Rip Shift or the MGW-P shifter. Hurst was the absolute devil of all shifters.

Funny, things follow suit over here too. Hurts makes a crap product.

#15 ·
Also heard good things about MGW.

#14 · (Edited)
Barton shifter will be my next mod.
I've had the hurst in my car for about a year and had to mod a few things to make it quiet as the stock.
Will have my hurst for sale.
Vehicle Center console Car Gear shift Auto part

I met Dave at the spring fest and tried the Barton shifter displayed in a challenger. No comparison at all to the hurst. Very solid unit. Precise and was impressed with the quality. Was also impressed with Dave. Extremely nice, professional, and most importantly dedicated to customer service.
I'm thinking putting the mopar short throw shifter instead of the Barton stick. Anyone know if it'll fit?
Gear shift Vehicle Car Family car Auto part

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
Barton shifter will be my next mod.
I've had the hurst in my car for about a year and had to mod a few things to make it quiet as the stock.
Will have my hurst for sale.
View attachment 277122
I met Dave at the spring fest and tried the Barton shifter displayed in a challenger. No comparison at all to the hurst. Very solid unit. Precise and was impressed with the quality. Was also impressed with Dave. Extremely nice, professional, and most importantly dedicated to customer service.
I'm thinking putting the mopar short throw shifter instead of the Barton stick. Anyone know if it'll fit?
View attachment 277130

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yep it will fit for sure. I gave my prototype (1st model production) Barton to uschamp1 as the original unit didn't fit my tunnel cover. He has the Mopar handle like you have in your pic, and he loves it. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
HEMIZSP: you going with white or black ball if you get it. I think I'm going black with flat stick.

#17 ·
As soon as possible I am putting in the Barton shifter. The stock shifter feels like I am rowing a boat.

#23 ·
Barton, I too was one of the first five and improvements have been made since then but nothing in my opinion needs changing. Every gear every time, no misses. Make sure you have a skip shift installed and you will never second guess your six speed again. It will let you harness everything out of your car, period!

#25 ·
Hurst, SHORTEST throw and after all that's what it's all about in the end, hope someone brings a Barton to Lone Star Mopar Fest as we will have PLENTY of Hursts there and we can let the 1320 decide who's faster! ;)

#27 ·
It's all a personal preference, but in all honesty, you might be one of the only good things I have heard about the Hurst unit. I am talking in the Hemi world and in the LSX world. Personally, I've broken two Hurst shifters in half. Have a couple buddies that have Challengers and both have hated their Hurst.

To each his own.

#26 ·
Steeler, wish I could make it to LI but I'll be in Maine

Thanks again guys. Barton it is. Might even take a road trip up there when the time comes for the purchase/install (it's only 200 miles each way, on some very scenic NY roads)

Plan is for the black stick (hehe) and custom shift knob. Stoked!

#28 ·
^^ know what you mean, here everyone that is racing 6M have are all Hursts, most like mine are 70s modded from early Hurst 3-Orings versions. Why I'm hoping someone will bring a Barton shifted ride to LSMF, if it is a faster shifter you will get converts, but for now (especially since Barton is/was so late to the dance), we will "Run wid da one that brung us"! :D

#29 ·
I have only tried a Hurst shifter once, I remember I liked it but not enough to part with $300 or whatever it was at the time (a few years ago). The Barton guys were at Springfest in Irvine Ca. in March 2014 and installed mine. I wasn't even thinking about getting one, it's just that I made the mistake of reading their sign that said "try our shifter" and after I did that I bought it. I find it quieter than the stock shifter since there's no slop. I'm not sure why anyone has the impression that they make any kind of noise, other than they changed something before I got mine I think. I could have kept the stock pistol grip but I chose to spend an extra $75 and get the Barton ball and stick. Total price $500 installed. The white ball goes well with the white stripe.

Attachments

#30 ·
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for Barton Shifters. Just had one installed today at there shop in Pitcher N.Y. the 140 mile drive home convinced me that this is the best money I have spent on my Challenger R/T Classic yet. Dave and the guys are very friendly and knowledgeable. Joe installed the shifter and 45 minutes later I was test driving it up and down the road, this shifter is pure precision and the craftsmanship is perfection and quieter than the stock one. Every gear change is right there, when I banged it through the gears at WOT there was no worry about if it was going in, I knew it was going in by the feel of the precision made shifter. GOD I LOVE THIS THING!

#32 ·
speedlogixstore.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.