Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Custom Tune_I am sold

6K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Tshane72 
#1 ·
Although I had used the Diablo CAI91 and CAI93 canned tunes, I had read so much about the custom tuning, even with minor mods, that I thought I'd give it a try.

So first off, I'm not one of those that say they cant feel a difference in a Diablo tune. It is certainly a noticeable improvement, and even between the 91 and 93 is a world of difference.

In case my sig doesn't show up again, I have a 2010 SRT8 6.1 6M

I've only completed the first part, which is accepting and loading the tuners (probably well dialed in by now) tune for my car. Next step is hook up a laptop and log with it and my Predator, then send him the file to fine tune.

Still, at this point I've noticed two main things. The throttle response is instant. This is totally unlike the way it feels when using the Diablo tune with different degree's of tip in (0-20%). The Diablo tip in adjustment gives more throttle for the same "length" of pedal, for lack of better words. The way it feels now is different. Much better.

Second is the way the engine pulls at all RPM's, regardless of operating temperature. Naturally it runs like a scalded cat in the morning with cool air, but after 30 minutes of driving, it STILL pulls like it did earlier. That was NOT the case with the Diablo tunes. When the engine got heat soaked, it would run like a PIG, end of story.

It was raining today so I couldnt data log, but I will tomorrow and then I will send him the data and the tune will truly be "custom" at that point.

I more or less only have a 180* and fender pull CAI for mods as I believe the stock SRT exhaust is fine up to 500hp or so. I believe the same thing about the TB. If I do an aggressive cam and intake work, then I will go with 3" exhaust and larger TB. When that happens we will modify the tune again.

From what I have read, there seems to be some dispute between this tuner and this board, so I wont bypass the rules and post a sound alike name or anything like that to simply annoy the moderators.

Just wanted to share :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks DJ, the mods are just doing what they are supposed to do. I do not know or care about the back story, but waving a red flag in someones face is never a good idea in my experience, especially when they have done nothing to me.

I found the gentleman in question to be pretty reasonable...a bit heavy on the "Oh WoW, cool man" side, but I'm old :)

So far my car hasnt blown up, has not thrown any codes, runs great, and the cost was very reasonable to this point. I did go a bit to the lower end of the scale, but confirmed that I was willing to up the ante if he really had to spend time on it.

Before anyone laughs, I am quite sure that at this point, the 6.1 tune he sends people initially has been dialed in quite well and it was a matter of 30 seconds to send it to me :).....even if no further tuning work was done, I'd be pretty satisfied because it runs better than the Diablo CAI93 tune (which worked great, but this one is better).

Not to forget that he will have baselines on "MY" car once I do further modifications, although time is running out this Summer.

It is Canada day tomorrow and I only have 5 or 6 things to do at work, then I can hook up a lappy and datalog!

Cheers

Pete

Reactions: DJ Hemi
#5 ·
Good info, it's always great to have first hand accounts of different mods. I recently got a custom tune also and the biggest difference I noticed was in the area of torque management, I got both a street tune and a race only tune. The race only tune has torque management turned all the way off or at least as far as one can get it turned off from what I understand. I'm just waiting for some cooler weather to return before hitting the drag strip for some in depth testing.

#6 ·
So did you go with the person you asked me for contact details?
I did and am very happy already.
I am at a little further ahead stage to you- first email tune loaded-driven-datalogged incl 0-125mph pull.
Felt a good improvement over Diablo 93 tune similar results to what you descibe.
Datalogs looked good with our New-Zealand BP 98oct Ultimate (MON vers RON) with still room to move and now have 2nd version.. "more aggressive" tune loaded and waiting for weather to improve to run/datalog.
Great stuff...Phil.

Reactions: itguy
#8 ·
Yes good sir, I did :)

I use 94 Octane exclusively up here in Canada..we have one large chain that sells it, or i can get 93 at a multitude of places.

Weather is spotty today, but I'm going to try and get out and log.

My goal down the road is about 550 or lets say between 500 & 550 at the crank...I want to do that with cam\heads\intake only. Got about 5k in the kitty so far, but its not enough yet.

Guess I'm just starting small so to speak and we will work our way up. :)

#7 ·
Guessing we have the same tuner on this...mine is in sig <admin edit - not anymore (poke with a stick expect to be poked back)>.... and I will definitley +1 for everything you say here. I am very pleased with the custom tune over the canned version I originally had on :thumbsup:

Reactions: itguy
#9 ·
Guessing we have the same tuner on this...mine is in sig <admin edit - not anymore (poke with a stick expect to be poked back)> and I will definitley +1 for everything you say here. I am very pleased with the custom tune over the canned version I originally had on :thumbsup:
I think we have different guys....but that doesnt matter...all that matters is we are both happy with our results! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

#14 · (Edited)
I, too, had been running the canned tune and found it to be a noticeable but not dramatic improvement over the factory set up. But reading this post made me get off the fence and go for a custom tune.

I just loaded the custom tune from the same provider as OP. Have not data-logged yet or had it ultra-tweaked, but what it offers in current form is pretty damn good.

As OP stated, throttle response is instant. Car pulls hard throughout RPM range and doesn't feel as out of breath at upper RPMs as it used to. Under any throttle, the car feels about 300 lbs. lighter than before---it just wants to lunge forward like crazy. Really feels like a whole new car.

I know it's been stated a million times on this forum before, but you're not really getting the full enjoyment of this car unless you pull the trigger on a custom tune. Highly recommended.

#18 ·
I know it's been stated a million times on this forum before, but you're not really getting the full enjoyment of this car unless you pull the trigger on a custom tune. Highly recommended.
I am finding out the truth of this statement. VERY IMPRESSED

Reactions: DJ Hemi
#20 ·
Today I finally data logged and saw in "writing" so to speak what my butt dyno was telling me :)

Couple of runs to 100mph, lots of WOT, rev limiter bounce or two, and so on.

So I have an ancient ole 6.1 (which I love) and a Diablo Predator. I had to download the software from them and throw it on a laptop, then connect my Diablo to the OBDII port, connect the other end of the Diablo to a USB to Serial adaptor, then to the laptop. Luckily I had a driver laying around for this particular dongle so didn't have to wait for Windows to find one.

Certainly not as elegant as one of the newer model devices from Diablosport, but what the Hell, it works fine. :)

74 degrees outside.

So, ZERO knock and ZERO timing being pulled anywhere, from beginning to end.

Intake temps from 85 degrees while stopped, to 72 degrees when moving (thank you fender pull CAI!!).

Coolant temps got to 195 degrees MAX but always quickly came back down to 183\185 (180 degree t-stat). Have never had a CEL for the engine "not reaching operating temperature" and since I dont drive it in Winter, never will.

So sent off the file to the tuner just for a look-see, make sure everything is good or maybe eke out a little more, but dont want it on the ragged edge anyway really, so if he comes back and says "all good" NO complaints here. Car just keeps pulling all the way up to red line...VERY happy with it.

So DOLLAR wise this is the best mod you could ever do IMHO, although if you take away money, I think a Barton (for us manual guys) takes the cake, or at least ties for "best mod", however the Barton was twice the $$.

Pete

Reactions: wasp392 and DJ Hemi
#22 ·
I would love some input on tuners and custom tune. What can I do to wake up my 2010 SRT8 6.1 6M? Only thing changed from stock so far is cai, and Corsa extreme catback. Headers and high flow cats on next list. Waited on tuner at first and about to get i3. Not sure what admins don’t like on brand labeling

#23 ·
I use the DiabloSport Trinity. There is another one called Tazer? A google search though for custom tuners for our cars should yield some results. I can't remember if we are allowed to drop names or not on this forum. Anyway, hope that helps you some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.