Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Diablo Predator U7135 Information Source

127K views 248 replies 76 participants last post by  cruiserdan 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I would start this thread in an attempt to have a dedicated source where anyone having information to share or questions to ask about the Diablo Predator U7135.It seems that throughout this forum there is an immense amount of scattered information that is very useful but difficult to locate at times.Perhaps if everyone can post here it will create a one stop shop where we all can access and utilize the power of the Predator more efficiently.

Kick it off with some questions about the U7135.

1.I loaded the CAI 91 Octane tune into my 09 Auto R/T.Before doing so I modified the cooling Fan setttings for a 180Âş T-Stat and disabled the MDS.I Then uploaded the previously mentioned tune.After doing so I noticed that the Exhaust Gas Recirculating(EGR) parameter was set to 'Off'.Does this automatically happen when disabling the MDS,changing the fan settings or loading a canned tune?Is it better from a performance standpoint to have the EGR off or will having it off put the engine at risk in any way?

2.If I later wish to change additional parameters within the 'Modify Tune' menu do I have to reload the entire tune again or can I just go in and make the changes to the already loaded tune?If I have to reload the entire tune do I have to start from scratch and reload my stock tune first then make all the parameter changes in the canned tune and reload it to the PCM?

3.What do the 'REV and Speed Limiter' changes do?What would be considered safe settings if modifying?Will these setting changes work on the R/T Automatics?

4.In the 'Quick Adjust' menu under the 'Shift Points' parameter it states that the it will raise the shift points by a set values on the 5.7L: 1-2 shifts at 5,800RPM,2-3 & 3-4 shifts at 6,000RPM,...but it does not mention anything about the 4-5 shift,:scratchhead:,...Am I missing something here?Also,do these shift points apply to the 5.7L Automatics?

5.Does the 'Auotostick Auto Upshift' when disabled still allow tthe transmission to downshift?Is it safe to change the 'REV & Speed Limiters' if the 'Autostick Auto Upshift' is disable.

6.Is it necessary to update my Predator to the latest 9r23b crom revision file?I currently have the 9r17 revision file installed.

7.After I complete my modifications I will be doing some data logging for custom tune to be created.Should I data log with the CAI 91 Octane tune that I have already loaded in the car or restore the original stock tune from the Predator to the car and then do the data logging?

8.Has anyone had success in turning off the 'ESP' under the 'Quick Adjust' menu on an Auto R/T?I have also heard this off setting referred to as 'Dyno mode',...should we be running our cars on a dyno with ESP fully off?

I know there is a lot here to answer but I'm fairly new to this modification game and want to understand what will work,how it works and if there may be any high risk in changing certain parameters.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#37 ·
Just installed the CAI 91 octane tune in my SRT auto and after a few short hits I can't wait to get back to the track. The shifts seem better at part throttle. I hope it helps the slacking ass fly by wire throttle response lmao.
Anyone have a napa pn for a 180 Tstat?

#38 ·
I took some pictures of the Predator Screens

They may be useful for explaining things. Or Not...

MobileMe Gallery

#40 ·
Does anyone know if the system(car) logs changes to on-board configuration. For example, when I loaded my 93oct from the predator did the system(car) log that event? If so, can the dealer review the logs? catch my drift ;-)
The cars ECM can date stamp reflashs, it can not tell you who's reflash was used but every reflash Chrysler does is documented by Chrysler through wifi so the dealer can not fudge if it's been reflashed or not. By chrysler doing this they can tell an unauthorized reflash was used.

Some one else asked about the auto upshift, the predator can not disable auto upshift on 09 and newer TCM's. Some 08 models are also affected. In other words the transmission will still upshift even in autostick mode.

#43 ·
I remember reading somewhere on this forum on how exactly to set the fan settings and to what degrees if you were running the 180 thermo... Basically was going to run the 91 cai tune and then adjust the fan settings... after I install the 180 of coarse... Can someone point me in the right direction so I don't screw something up??:scratchhead:

#48 ·
I have a U1735, using crom 9R12 on a 2010 srt8 auto. I cant find a choice for AFR (Air/Fuel Ratio) as a choice to data log?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
I have not data logged using just the Predator internal PIDS but have data logged using the Predator connected to my laptop computer and the free Dataviewer 3.2 software available from the Diablosport website.

There is a massive selection of PIDS to choose from and AFR is present in the menu.

It is very easy to set up and use.

#50 · (Edited)
I have a predator 7135, loaded the perf. 93 , went into moifiy tune, what is the factory rev limiter set to when driving? Is adding 200-300 more to limited fine on stock 5.7?
I'm sure dodge put the limiter way in the safe zone for warranty purposes.
I'm guessing the limiter is set at 5700rpm, I'm probably wrong on that:), so I added 300 rpm in the modify so the limiter would kick in at 6 grand. I'm wanting to be able to hit 60 mph in second w/o upshifting (6spd) 3.92 gears. Could someone correct me on the factory rev limiter setting & is 6000-61000 fairly safe on the 5.7?

#51 ·
Is it just me, or does the engine fan work harder and/or more often after putting the tune on?

I'm running the 91 oct tune on a 6 spd R/T, and I notice that when I stop to shut down the car now after a drive, I can hear the fan running, whereas before the tune, it either wasn't running at all, or not hard enough to be noticeable...is that typical?

#52 ·
Is it just me, or does the engine fan work harder and/or more often after putting the tune on?

I'm running the 91 oct tune on a 6 spd R/T, and I notice that when I stop to shut down the car now after a drive, I can hear the fan running, whereas before the tune, it either wasn't running at all, or not hard enough to be noticeable...is that typical?
I had to adjust my fan settings after insatalling the tune.Go into Modify Tune>Modify Parameters>Cooling Fans AC Off and make your adjustments.Don't forget to scroll down and do the same for 'Cooling Fans AC On.

I installed a Jet 180 degree thermostat and set the fan temps as follows:
High & Medium Speed:202.99
Low Speed:193.99

I'm not sure what the stock 203 degree T-stat settings are but I'm sure someone on this forum will have the answer.

#58 · (Edited)
Quoted Previously by Someone else.
I always reset all parameter adjustments in the Predator when installing a new tune to avoid the stacking of parameter changes in the PCM.Certain parameters, i.e. WOT Spark Advance, if stacked/duplicated could cause serious damage to the engine.For the paramaeters like Fan settings,MDS,Shift Firmness it would not likely be possible to have a stacking occur,I just do as a safety measure and for piece of mind. There end quote
No way, not possible to stack anything. From DS website.
Want more power,,,Install a 170 or 180 deg stat, run motor cooler, set HS fan at 185, LS fan at 180. All setting to this temp. Winter I still run it at the same temps.
FlatTop

#61 ·
Quote:
I always reset all parameter adjustments in the Predator when installing a new tune to avoid the stacking of parameter changes in the PCM.Certain parameters, i.e. WOT Spark Advance, if stacked/duplicated could cause serious damage to the engine.For the paramaeters like Fan settings,MDS,Shift Firmness it would not likely be possible to have a stacking occur,I just do as a safety measure and for piece of mind. end quote
No way, not possible to stack anything. From DS website.
Want more power,,,Install a 170 or 180 deg stat, run motor cooler, set HS fan at 185, LS fan at 180. All setting to this temp. Winter I still run it at the same temps.
FlatTop
From the 'Predator User Manual page 7:"User must ensure that the original vehicle Factory Tune is in the vehicle's ECU bfore installing the Diablosport tune.(original dealer reflashes are the same as Factory Tune).

Serious engine damage can occur if the Predator tune is installed over a non-factory/aftermarket performance tune."

From the Diablosport Predator #7135 Dodge 5.7 Hemi Knowledgebase-X E Ryder-Revision II-Section 8:Adjusting Parameters page 4:"Note:Another prompt may or may not appear when installing a Tune file,if you have made several manual adjustments,the tool may ask if you wish to reset all base values.It is suggested that you choose"Yes" to avoid stacking adjustments that could render your tune useless or even hazardous.Imagine a tune with added timing stacked on top of your manual adjusted timing - it would create a large amount of Knock/Ping."

#59 ·
If you have to take the car to dealer for work other than engine, is everyone removing the tune (putting it back to stock) Or do you only put it back to stock if your taking it in for engine related work?

#60 ·
I always upload the 'Factory Tune' before taking it to the dealer.If you take your car in for an oil change and they happen to 'Flash' your PCM with an update using their 'StarScan' tool your Predator 'Performance or Custom Tune' may be erased or altered.

If you are going to leave your 'Performance or Custom Tune' in the vehicle when being serviced ask the service manager or mechanic if there are any 'Flash Updates' that have been schedualed for your particular vehicles PCM before dropping it off for service.Better safe than sorry.

#63 · (Edited)
That was not my quote I was quoting somone else and responding to it. However.
yes agreed you must save the orig tune ect.. However you cannot stack, timing, fuel, or trans firmness. Cannot be stacked. It will only raise it above setting in the written tune.
It also at one time before DS made changes. It said we could adjust in auto shift points in D and it could NOT also.Auto trans settings Mode 1 mode 2 almost does nothing. DS has No gear hold options either.

#64 ·
Since we're talking tunes here (and I apologize if it's been asked elsewhere, I couldn't find it) why is there no 94 Octane tune? Plenty of places sell 94 gas around here but finding 93 is impossible. Is a 94 tune coming in the future Mike? Or is it even necessary if I run 94 using the 93 CAI Tune?

#65 ·
Since we're talking tunes here (and I apologize if it's been asked elsewhere, I couldn't find it) why is there no 94 Octane tune? Plenty of places sell 94 gas around here but finding 93 is impossible. Is a 94 tune coming in the future Mike? Or is it even necessary if I run 94 using the 93 CAI Tune?
I'm not diablomike but running 94 octane with the 93 tune would probably give you better performance since the ECM will not pull timing due to knock. If you data log and find no knock you could bump your timing 1* at a time and do runs until you new tune starts pulling timing.

#71 ·
I have two questions:
1. I am thinking about buying one of these. Is there any big advantage with the Diablo Sport Trinity as opposed to Diablo Predator U7135? The Trinity is a big jump in price.

2. I have looked at all of these posts but I didn’t see any that indicated how much engine HP I would gain jumping from 87 to 91 or 93 octane. Anyone have an idea on this?

My car is a 10 R/T with six speed and 3.92 gears.
Thanks

#72 ·
I have two questions:
1. I am thinking about buying one of these. Is there any big advantage with the Diablo Sport Trinity as opposed to Diablo Predator U7135? The Trinity is a big jump in price.

2. I have looked at all of these posts but I didn’t see any that indicated how much engine HP I would gain jumping from 87 to 91 or 93 octane. Anyone have an idea on this?

My car is a 10 R/T with six speed and 3.92 gears.
Thanks
I can't give you any hard figures but I felt the difference after I installed the 91 Octane CAI tune in mine, it got me into the 13 second club IMO. And I'm only touching the surface of what this thing is supposed to do.

As for the difference I think the Trinity offers more functionality if you're really into hardcore tuning, and is probably the direction Diablosport is leaning.

Just IMO but I don't think they're supprting the Pred very well, as their tunes and firmware were out of date and I had to 'roll back' my Calibration ID to an earlier version despite the fact my version had ben out for at least 6 months or more. That didn't impress me, nor did the lack of a 94 Octane tune despite the availability of 94 gas is widespread. Just little things like that.

I'm sure the expected response from the vendor would be 'buy a custom tune'...but after fleecing me with their USB kit with it's very odd power requirement (most converters at electronics stores start at 1.5 and the Pred requires 1 amp) I'm reluctant to let them fleece me further. Your first custom tune should be free IMO.

#73 ·
The 6 speed cars gain very little if any. The auto's seem to benefit more.

I've actually heard (No personal experience) that in some cases the 6 speed actually decreased some in performance. Like I said no personal experience just what I have read on here.

In diablo's defense you could always buy one and send it back if you don't like it. 30 day return trial.

#75 ·
Predator CMR Custom Dyno Tune

RSP Motorsports has purchased the software licence from Diablosport to perform CMR Custom Tunes while utilizing the #7135 Predator for the Challenger vehicles.

The following video is of a 2009 manual R/T being tuned on their AWD Dyno.The modifications on the Challenger are Heads,Camshaft,CORSA Xtreme Cat-back Exhaust,JBA Shorty Headers,BT Catch-can,180 degree T-Stat and Shaker Hood.

The RWHP and Torque are posted on the video.

#76 ·
i would like to see the numbers on a dyno tune with the predator on a 5.7 with just cai and cat-back. That is going to be a pretty common set-up.
my predator is in the mail, and i'd like to know it's going to be worth using with just those mods.

#77 · (Edited)
i would like to see the numbers on a dyno tune with the predator on a 5.7 with just cai and cat-back. That is going to be a pretty common set-up.
my predator is in the mail, and i'd like to know it's going to be worth using with just those mods.
Me too. So far those are the only performance mods I've done too. As for the Predators worth as I've said before I noticed the difference in my 1/4 mile times and general driving 'feel'. It's my opinion the Pred got me into the 13 second club, despite my poor launching technique and crappy tires.

#80 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has a setup like mine. I'm looking for a custom tune but don't have anyone to help write one. If someone can help please help me. This us what I have on the car. Predator, Mopar CAI & Mopar Exhaust and Kooks Headers. If anyone has a tune for this please let me know.

#81 ·
You can have a 'Custom Tune' written for you specific vehicle and modifications by doing some data logging and then sending the file to DCX Depot where they will write the tune for you and send you the file by email.

Go to the 'Diablosport' site and download their free 'DataViewer 3.3.0.7' and 'DS Downloader 2.2.2.4' software.The best way to datalog is by pluging the Predator into the OBDII port then plug the Serial to USB cable from the Predator into a laptop computer.Talk to Tim Combs at DCX Depot and he can guide you on PID's to datalog or go to the 'Diablosport' site and search under 'Support' where you can find explanations of how to perform this process.

Also,in the first few pages of this thread I have posted the instructional PDF files from the 'Diablosport' site.

Check out the following video:

#84 ·
Excessive by half.

#87 ·
Dumb question I just got a diablo I have a SRT 2010 Challenger and I loaded the 91CIA tune thinking this is the right tune for my car. How does it know the diffrence btwn my 6.1 and a 5.7 tune they should be diffrent
The way I understand it is that the ECM/PCM in each model will make the necessary adjustments in accordance with the written parameters of each tune.

#86 ·
Has anyone used the diablo for lower octane ratings? The R/T can use mid grade or regular gas. I'm wondering a) where the adjustment to the tune is located for doing this as I can't find it in the user manual and b) were the results of the Diablo tuner with lower octane gas worth the cost of the tuner? I haven't bought one yet and am very interested but I use lower octane gas.Thanks in advance for your response(s).

#88 · (Edited)
Has anyone used the diablo for lower octane ratings? The R/T can use mid grade or regular gas. I'm wondering a) where the adjustment to the tune is located for doing this as I can't find it in the user manual and b) were the results of the Diablo tuner with lower octane gas worth the cost of the tuner? I haven't bought one yet and am very interested but I use lower octane gas.Thanks in advance for your response(s).
As stated in the 'Owners Manual' page 316 - 317 the 3.5L & 5.7L engine with 'Automatic Transmission' can use an octane rating of 87 to 89 with the 89 Octane fuel being recommended by the manufacturer.The 5.7L 'Manual Transmission' cars use a 91 Octane fuel or higher as per manufacturer recommendation.

The Predator allows you to increase the fuel's octane rating to 91 or 93 with or without an aftermarket 'Cold Air Intake' installed.There is no option in the Predator that allows you to lower the fuel octane below the 91 and 93 octane tunes,(Canned Tunes as they are reffered to), that come with the purchase of the Predator.

However,if you filled your tank with a lower grade octane fuel of 87 or 89 and proceeded to do some data logging using the Predator and laptop computer a specific 'Custom Tune' could be written for your vehicle.DCX Depot can provide such a service.You just email your data logging file to them and their technician will create the tune and email it back to you.Then upload the 'Custom Tune' file to the Predator and then load it into your car.

The Diabosport site has the free 'DS Downloader 2.2.2.4' and 'Data Viewer 3.3' software you will need to perform the tasks.

The optimal way to tune your engine is by having a 'CMR Dyno Custom Tune' written and installed.I will be having this done in the spring on my 09 R/T Auto at RSP Motorsports as I have added many modifications and the tune will ensure that I am getting the optimal performance increases from them and that the Air/Fuel ratio is correct.Although,the ECM/PCM is capable of adjusting the A/F ratio with most bolt on modifications,ie.CAI,Cat-back exhausts,shorty headers.

I am currently running a '91 Octane Custom Tune' by DCX Depot in the car and there is a huge increase in performance over the 'Stock/Factory' tune.

Check out the following link: Dyno-Tuning

#90 ·
Some people have stated that for 1/4 mile runs you should set the car tune with the predator to dyno mode. can someone knowledgable tell me what the difference is between dyno mode and say the 91 or93 cai tune?

#92 · (Edited)
'Dyno Mode' has nothing to do with the 'Performance Tune' that you install using the Predator.'Dyno Mode' is an adjustible parameter which fully disables the 'ESP' when installing one of the 'Performance Tunes' or it can be accessed after a 'Performance Tune' is installed by utilizing the 'Quick Adjust' menue within the Predator.

When you disable the 'ESP' by enabling the 'Dyno Mode' parameter the 'ESP' will stay fully 'OFF' at all times and will not reset to 'ON' after shuting off the vehicle which would be the case if you were to press the 'ESP' button in the car once and then perform the 'Key Trick' in the R/T models.The SRT and Classic R/T model 'ESP' button will fully disable the 'ESP' without having to do the 'Key Trick'.

Drivers who frequent the track use 'Dyno Mode' so they don't have to be bothered remembering to manually shut off the 'ESP' in the heat of the action and in between turning the car off and on during a day of racing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.