Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Diablo Predator U7135 Information Source

127K views 248 replies 76 participants last post by  cruiserdan 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I would start this thread in an attempt to have a dedicated source where anyone having information to share or questions to ask about the Diablo Predator U7135.It seems that throughout this forum there is an immense amount of scattered information that is very useful but difficult to locate at times.Perhaps if everyone can post here it will create a one stop shop where we all can access and utilize the power of the Predator more efficiently.

Kick it off with some questions about the U7135.

1.I loaded the CAI 91 Octane tune into my 09 Auto R/T.Before doing so I modified the cooling Fan setttings for a 180º T-Stat and disabled the MDS.I Then uploaded the previously mentioned tune.After doing so I noticed that the Exhaust Gas Recirculating(EGR) parameter was set to 'Off'.Does this automatically happen when disabling the MDS,changing the fan settings or loading a canned tune?Is it better from a performance standpoint to have the EGR off or will having it off put the engine at risk in any way?

2.If I later wish to change additional parameters within the 'Modify Tune' menu do I have to reload the entire tune again or can I just go in and make the changes to the already loaded tune?If I have to reload the entire tune do I have to start from scratch and reload my stock tune first then make all the parameter changes in the canned tune and reload it to the PCM?

3.What do the 'REV and Speed Limiter' changes do?What would be considered safe settings if modifying?Will these setting changes work on the R/T Automatics?

4.In the 'Quick Adjust' menu under the 'Shift Points' parameter it states that the it will raise the shift points by a set values on the 5.7L: 1-2 shifts at 5,800RPM,2-3 & 3-4 shifts at 6,000RPM,...but it does not mention anything about the 4-5 shift,:scratchhead:,...Am I missing something here?Also,do these shift points apply to the 5.7L Automatics?

5.Does the 'Auotostick Auto Upshift' when disabled still allow tthe transmission to downshift?Is it safe to change the 'REV & Speed Limiters' if the 'Autostick Auto Upshift' is disable.

6.Is it necessary to update my Predator to the latest 9r23b crom revision file?I currently have the 9r17 revision file installed.

7.After I complete my modifications I will be doing some data logging for custom tune to be created.Should I data log with the CAI 91 Octane tune that I have already loaded in the car or restore the original stock tune from the Predator to the car and then do the data logging?

8.Has anyone had success in turning off the 'ESP' under the 'Quick Adjust' menu on an Auto R/T?I have also heard this off setting referred to as 'Dyno mode',...should we be running our cars on a dyno with ESP fully off?

I know there is a lot here to answer but I'm fairly new to this modification game and want to understand what will work,how it works and if there may be any high risk in changing certain parameters.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#141 ·
FYI, here are my new fan settings and it seems to be running great. Someone else had posted these speeds so thought I would start there. I reckon I might need to bump them up in the heat of the Texas summer?

1) Cooling fans AC off
High MPH HS fan on 199.39
High MPH LS fan on 190.39
High MPH MS fan on 199.39
Low MPH HS fan on 199.39
Low MPH LS fan on 190.39
Low MPH MS fan on 199.39

2) Cooling fans AC on
HS fan on 199.39
LS fan on 190.39
MS fan on 199.39

#161 ·
I set mine some what lower than that. All of the HS fan on at 190 and LS/MS on at 185, stayed cool at the strip.

#143 ·
Got my predator yesterday, was able to load a canned tune although I didn't have the latest revision.Got specific instructions from DSpredator, which required I return my car to stock.After several hours I'm still not able to d/l the latest revision.Get so far following the instructions then hit a brick wall.Cant go any further as the info that is supposed to be there , isn't! Also wanted to know how you set fan speeds as I couldn't navigate to that page either,any help will be greatly apreciated.

#144 ·
Got my predator yesterday, was able to load a canned tune although I didn't have the latest revision.Got specific instructions from DSpredator, which required I return my car to stock.After several hours I'm still not able to d/l the latest revision.Get so far following the instructions then hit a brick wall.Cant go any further as the info that is supposed to be there , isn't! Also wanted to know how you set fan speeds as I couldn't navigate to that page either,any help will be greatly apreciated.
I have attached the following PDF's that I use for Revision updates etc..Perhaps they can assist you in getting past some of the problems you have been experiencing.

I will add a couple more below as 5 is the maximim for each reply.

Attachments

#145 ·

Attachments

#146 ·
I appreciate all the help, but there wasn't any part that I had not visited multiple times, one as many as sixty.Finally got a driver for my pc -predator connector.It was the same one that was on the minidisc.Still unable to d/l the latest revision. I checked it.My pc said it was working normally also it was dated 2003.Let it search for a later version while I showered, never found one in 15 minutes. Not really surprized as usb to rs232 cables have been around for years.For the time being I loaded the 93cai tune, without adjusting the fans. Warmed it up and took it for a spin. Ran like kitty with its tail on fire which made me happier than a dog with two dicks.Will put the thermostat in tomorrow.My grandson who is mechanicing for his Dad at their engine shop will do all the heavy lifting and furnish the tools.Since I retired so many years ago, my tools have developed legs and walked off.

#149 ·
Ok. I got an older Pedator and had to update it using a special crom from Diablo.

Once I resolved that I hooked it up and loaded the 93oc tune. There were a few others being with CAI or without... So I used without since I have yet to install a CAI. Took it for a ride. Punched it around a few miles and truthfully didn't really notice anything different in the sense of performance. I'm not saying that there isn't but just wasn't noticable by me. I notice the skip shift was no longer an issue. And since my car has yet to cool down I can't say if it improved during cold starts.

Initially I was excited to do several things to pickup some more HP but I firmly believe the only real notice will either be with a few more mods and maybe a Dyno Tune from DTP (which just so happens to be right up the street :) or just have DTP bolt on some real power. If I happen to find the keys to the kingdom I will be sure to update this post.

#150 ·
You won't see the gains the R/T's are seeing but an exhaust, 180*t-stat and CAI should get you 10-20 rwhp.The large srt exhaust manifolds are getting you more top end power, but seem to make the Srt's a bit sluggish on the low end.This is only my opinion after reading all that three different Challenger sites had to offer.If you add a power adder, it's a whole new ball game.There are R/T's with just bolyt-ons in the 12's but they are doing it with sticky tires.275-285 wide drag radials will get you sub 2 second 60 ft.s. Same goes for the Srt's and many of them are in the 11.s

#151 ·
So, am I reading this correctly? A 2010 SRT-8 w/ a 6-speed will not benefit very much from a Predator?

I was also thinking that everything I read seems to point to the Pred Tuner really being for the autos (look at the settings: you can reset the transmission learning your driving style, change shift RPM's and firmness, turn off MDS, etc)

All AUTOMATIC car benefits it would seem.

I'm not going to be dyno'ing or doing much (if ANY) track racing. This car is my daily driver and a daily driver I have NO INTENTION of wasting money putting 94 Octane gas in (91 is expensive enough)

That being said, I would only be using the 91 Octane CAI tune (once I get a CAI) if there is not a NOTICEABLE butt-dyno difference I think I am going to skip the Pred and just buy a simple skip-shift eliminator and call it a day.

Thoughts/opinions??

#152 ·
That seems to be the consensus. There is a very noticalbe difference for the automatics that is not "felt" by the manual guys.

I can tell you that I was very disappointed with the car. Even called the dealer to tell him that the car was a "dog" and would he take it back. If not for this site, which taught me what I needed to do to wake-up the car (tune, etc), I would be driving a different car today.

Your logic is sound in not doing the tune for your type of use of the car.

Hopfully you'll get some feed back from the manual guys that use there cars as Daily drivers.

#153 ·
I use my 2010 PCP SRT8 as my sole daily driver. That being said, I bought a Predator and installed the CAI 91 tune. I haven't taken my car to the track yet, nor to a dyno. After installing the tune, I feel no significant "seat of the pants" difference in acceleration.

My main reason for getting the Predator was so I could adjust things, such as the engine temp. I also installed a JET 180 degree thermostat. I simply got sick looking at the engine temp and always seeing it running 205 degrees on cold days, and upwards of 213 degrees on hot days. That can't be good for the engine, nor all those baking underhood accessories. Now I smile looking at my gauge and seeing the engine temps steady between 183 and 190 degrees. This was about 3 weeks ago, and to date I have had no CEL problems. Of course, I'll probably get one when I get back from vacation at Myrtle Beach!

Hope that helps. I just want you to consider the other reasons for getting the tuner besides any possible power gains. If you get a CEL, you can use the Predator to not only find out which code it is, but also to erase the code..

#154 ·
I think any challenger would benefit from a predator tune.Facts are facts, Last Sunday I watched a 392 Hemi 6 speed run an 8.89 @83 mph, not exactly awe inspiring.A bit later with an inexperienced driver, I literally left him spinning at the startingline. Track prep was shall we say lousy. An A/gasser lost it hit the rail and ended up on it's side, which I presume is better than ending up on your roof!:)

#157 ·
Which tune did you install? Are you 6 speed or auto?

I recently reinstalled my stock tune in my 10 SRT8 to get some work done at the dealership and I got reintroduced to the sluggish low end factory throttle response.

Been ~ 6 months since my last stock EVIC 1/4 mile run so I got 1 run with 93 tune & 1 run with the stock tune. I do all my EVIC runs at the same place but it matches what I run at the track. Start elevation is 220' finish elevation is 270' Both runs were no wheelspin launches on cold tires.

Stock tune = 12.9@110 6 Months ago my best stock was 12.9@107.7
93 tune = 12.5@111.3

Reinstalled my 93 tune this week & now it feels even faster after driving with the stock tune for 2 weeks.

#156 ·
In preparation for CF2, I'm installing an exhaust this weekend and then going to HHP for a dyno then a 180 degree thermostat and predator install. I'll do some data logging and have a custom tune written and uploaded then dyno again. I've already got a base dyno so within 2 weeks I'll know whether my mods are providing any gains and will be happy to share the results.

#158 ·
I guess it makes sense that the manual guys don't notice a huge difference, isn't most of the point of the Predator to livin' up the automatic transmission?

I mean, we don't need the car to downshift quicker when we hit the throttle because that's what our right arms and left feet are for! :browsmiley:

I was always under the impression that a predator didn't really add HP per say, but you got faster ET's because of improved response and the like.

Maybe it does? I don't know... anyone dyno before/after with a Predator tune?

I'll probably waste my money on one eventually anyway just because... I do like the skip-shift without having to buy a SSE and install it. Plus, the way I understood it, the Predator makes it so the 1>4 in the EVIC doesn't show up.

I'd like to hear from Diablosport on the manual vs auto benefits debate!

#159 · (Edited)
I was always under the impression that a predator didn't really add HP per say, but you got faster ET's because of improved response and the like.

Maybe it does? I don't know... anyone dyno before/after with a Predator tune?
Yesterday I talked to the guys that did my stock dyno sesson & I might bring my car in next Friday to see what I have with the 93 tune.

Butt dyno tells me my tq is up quite a bit in the lower rpms.

#164 · (Edited)
I got a tuner today for my 2010 R/T and went to backup my stock tune. Tuner said it didn't support my configuration, I would have to go back to a supported configuration. Should I do this? I looked in the Diablosport website for an answer and even though the same problem has been brought up numerous times, I did not see any responses from Diablosport that said one way or the other it was OK to go backwards, and what affect this would have, and once they updated the Cron files, would the factory installed configuration be put back. Reading through some of the responses by Diablosport, I found their answers to be less than direct, and sometimes flippant.

Anyone have an answer to the question about going backwards, and what this does to your original configuration?

Thanks

#165 ·
OK now I'm a little pissed off. I buy the predator, it does not support my configuration even though it states it does on the vendor and manufactures websites. I'm asked to got back to an eariler configuration, this concerns me, but thanks to the great communication on these forums, I get a warm fuzzy that this will be OK. Then when I accept the old configuration, the tuner tells me I still need an update. WTF. I have the 9r28 configuration to start with, I update it just to make sure using the provide software and interfaces, and it still tells me I need an update.

I don't mind going through some of this, I understand that the manufacture is constently changeing the configuration and it's hard for Diablosport to keep up. But they should at least post something on their website to address this type of issue. What the hell do I do now? I called them today and was on hold for more than 45 minutes before I gave up. Don't sell expensive hardware if you can't keep up with it, or at least warn the consumer and let them know how to confim that if you buy your product they will not be able to use it, or let them know what to do to get it to work.

2010 Challenger R/T 6spd
Diablosport U7135
ECM 68054009AD
Cron 9r28

#167 · (Edited)
I have the 9r28 configuration to start with, I update it just to make sure using the provide software and interfaces, and it still tells me I need an update.

2010 Challenger R/T 6spd
Diablosport U7135
ECM 68054009AD
Cron 9r28
Did you update the Cron again after you accepted the ECM downgrade?. That is the way I had to do it and it worked: Down grade the ECM, and the update the Cron.

Hope it works.

#170 ·
My first post. RE: tuning

Hi all
I'd like to ask about tuning for my 2011 SE. I've been told a reflash is a good idea as it's easy to change over should a dealt visit be required. Can anyone recommend the best way to get a great tune with the least amount of risk to the warranty and computer.
Loving my new ride!!

#172 ·
I've never understood why so many of us had to downgrade from the AD CalId to AC. Diablosport has had more than enough time ( probably a year ) to release an update to handle the AD CalId IMO.

#173 ·
Question I installed a magna blower which when I asked magna if when they did my tune to set it up for a 180 temp which they said they did. I put it in and have ran it. twice this month Ive got a trouble code of cold temp I assume over the 180 thermostat how do I correct it anyone please.

#177 · (Edited)
Ok guys, I have a 2010 SRT8 6.1 with the Mopar CAI and a Billet catch can. Other then these two mods I am pure stock. When I get a Diablo Predator and install the 93 Oct with CAI tune, what will this do for my car? Then if I add the the 180 stat and readjust my fan setting, what will this do for my car? Is the Diablo pre set with the 93 Oct with CAI tune? Also no track for me, just street. Thanks for any info.
Forgot to add that I have an automatic transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.