Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hptuners

8K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Lxlaw 
#1 ·
Has anybody used hptuners software to tune a car? I saw that they now have tuning available for challengers. It looks to be CMR software for only 499. That is extremely cheap. Does it have access to all the fuel and timing tables, can i adjust torque management? Does it come with basic canned tunes? If anybody has info please post.
HPTuners.com >> Performance At Your Fingertips

#5 ·
I just downloaded the latest HP beta that supports 2014's. I'm doing a 392 swap in my rt with a cam and some other goodies. I should have my car ready for tuning in about 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. My car is currently still under the knife In my garage lol. Nothing like pulling apart a brand new car lol.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Reactions: Biv6.1
#7 ·
Will do. It should do everything I need but from what I understand they are still wrapping up getting the transmission control portion done. Not that that effects me any way since I have a six speed.

#8 ·
I was able to read the PCM file of my 392 M6 with the latest beta. There were two options as far as tables that could be viewed. I chose the lower level, as I am sure most of the table would be over my head. There are no canned tunes. Even on the lower setting, there are plenty of tables/ enable/disable switches. I've done a little tuning with LS1's, but the definitions are a little different. I was trying to figure out the torque management tables, but there is little info out there related to the table names. It looks like the DS terminology does not apply, as there is no "throttle boost". It looks to be broken down into a different tables. The spark and fuel enrichment/AFR tables are there, quite a few of them, actually. I had to email tech support to work out the licensing options, as I already had the interface. Still exploring...

#10 ·
Well, I just got my new app key for write ability to my PCM. Getting the credits was pretty easy and instant.
I don't know how helpful diablo sport would be to a HPTuners customer. Unfortunately, The Tuning School does not offer a Dodge class. If any of the well known tuners would offer a class, I would gladly sign up.
Some of the options are cut and dry, but many have crazy names, and google and bing do not have much to offer. As I said, many of the tables have similar names to other engine platforms, but many are specific to I assume the JPEC2 platform. I think I will stay away from TM for now. I will work with the basics plus the fuel and spark tables, since I do have a LM2.

#11 ·
I understand a little when it comes to tuning. Just enough to get myself in trouble. I need to find someone willing to teach me more. I guess the dodge tuning is different and more difficult than ford or GM. I guess that is why there is only a handful of people good at tuning the new dodge cars.

#12 · (Edited)
The Ford's are getting more and more difficult to tune. To the point tuners are struggling to keep up. Even the top names in the late Mustang world. All the new cars are getting more complex thus needing faster pcm's doing and monitoring more things. That's why I won't tune (I tuned 96 to 04 jtec Dodge Dakota) or have anyone else tune. ( I went through a few Mustang tuners for my last car where automatics were especially difficult.) They all seem to be fighting to get good drivability, no odd trans behavior in automatics, and reliable/repeatable power gains.

#13 ·
Our cars are a whole different ball game. When you get into the vvt tables and timing, look out. You can pop you motor very fast. Tuning the fords and chevy were nothing compaied to the dodge.
There are tables that even great tuners dont know what there for, or even have a defination of what they do. One can screw a bunch up trying to tune.
At this point, Id go and look at Holley system. Comes with all wiring, everything needed to be a stand alone system and lose nothing. Have cruze control, ac everything now works with the Holley system.
FlatTop

#16 ·
It's been a few years but I used HPT with help from my local tuner to dial in my supercharged/meth/nitrous 5.3L to make 625rwhp. It's a very powerful tool and there's a huge learning curve but I did it, so most anyone could. No idea on Dodge specifically, my application was LS based.

#17 ·
Correct on the vvt with the holley system. Im still using the SCT software and I have come a long way, on my own btw. Nobody will say nothing bout tuning our platform. That makes the diablo software a better choice with have so many using it. Some will help. As I always said, I can run mine with the SCT and everything is working well.
I just dont have the experience to go wot and back side. Ya Im scared to pop my motor.
So, I use a good tuner that I trust. So far, my et for my mods says it all. With no trouble no where, Johan has great tune ups for me.
Our vendors here in CT like Modern Muscle and others have been a huge help in knowledge and materials to get and keep me running.
FlatTop

#18 ·
I agree it sickens me how tight lipped all these tuners are. What they don't realize is they are only stunting the growth of our platform

#19 ·
I think once knock retard is supported in the HP Tuners scanner, it will free up some courage. The LSX crowd had to go through trial and error to figure things out. Plus, those interfaces were terrible compared to what we have today. It will definitely take a few brave souls to pioneer the way to tuning our platform and sharing the knowledge. I was brave enough to disable skip shift and change my fan settings, woohoo...Once I get the wideband fitting installed, I will try messing around with fuel trims and PE.
:cheers:.

#21 ·
Subscribed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.