Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Johan tune

46K views 130 replies 43 participants last post by  PSAG316 
#1 ·
I was pretty set on getting a tune by Johan, since alot of members on here spoke highly of him. Recently I've noticed a couple of members either not being happy with his tunes, or having some sort of technical issues with his tunes. I've contacted Mike and Josh to see how much their tunes cost and I'm waiting to hear back from them. My question is, should I avoid johan and go with either Mike or josh? Or is johan just as good as them? I don't have any major mods. I will just need a tune for long tubes and hi flow cats. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

#71 ·
Ya jay. The predator just don't have all the features that a trinity has to really home in on the tune

Plus just easier to get the info to the tuner

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Flat Top
#74 ·
I emailed josh to see how much he charges for a tune and never heard from him. Only people to respond to my emails were mike, aj, and johan. I'm still waiting on my longtubes so I haven't made a decision on who I'm going with, even though I'm leaning more towards johan right now.

#80 ·
I must admit that after a few data logs Johan is getting it dialed in. We may have started out rough but everything is looking up. Hit the rollers yesterday to get a baseline before I do anymore mods and up here at 6000 ft above sea level I'm at 330 HP and 369 TQ, while a newer Camaro SS 6.2 did 346/369. We ran it on a dynojet IIRC. Next mod will be a ported intake manifold by Peak Speed Shop here in Colorado, plan to do another pull after the swap.

#85 ·
I'm trying to get back to everyone who has emailed or pm'd me about tuning. I think I've hit almost every email and I've got one pm left on another board to answer. If anyone has pm'd me on this forum, well, you may not get a reply from me since I don't show that I've received any pm's since early 2013. I am almost always available and easily accessible by phone at 888-894-1115 - just press 1 for sales and ask for me.

As far as datalogging, especially stock engine vehicles. Most of us are probably pretty close with our air/fuel ratio's. Having the air/fuel checked with a wideband, either installed on the car or having a couple of pulls made on a local dyno, allows us to check the results and maybe dial in the tune just a hair more. The biggest issue we have to overcome on the HEMI's, partically on the vvt's, is false knock retard. This is why you typically see 2 to 8 degrees of knock retard when you use the preloaded diablo tunes on the handheld, and why a lot of people will say to run the 91 tune with 93 octane because it keeps this false knock lower. From the tuning side, our job is mainly to get timing back into the engine. We'll typically ask for a datalog to see if there is any false knock still present in the log. If there is excessive, reoccuring knock then we typically need to revise the tune even more until there is very little retard taking place. Sometimes we can get rid of all of it, other times we can get rid of most of it - really depends on the vehicle.

Joshua, HHP

#86 ·
Just to make it clear, how do you determine what is false vs real knock?

In all of my time reading this and many other forums I have only run across maybe 4 different people who truly had false knock. The way you stated it makes it sound like its a common occurrence. Do you see it often?

Every stock 09+ Hemi I have read about does have knock on the factory tune. For instance all 3 of my 5.7's had up to 9 ST knock running the stock tune but it was not false knock since after I raised the octane the knock was eliminated, showing that it was real.

#89 · (Edited)
The custom tune I received for the cam on my 6spd, the rpm rev limiter was able to be set to 6700. For an automatic, it may be different and need a TCM flash.

I hate using electronic mail for making contact about a product or request. I like to hear and validate the vendors or persons own words and have all my questions answered as they arise during conversation.

If i can't find any information on pricing for a service offered through a vendor website and I choose to ever use email as a first method of contact, I will always next go to the old school method of communication and dial the company phone number; if a response isn't received.

Plus I think it's much faster to ask a question and receive an answer by telephone, especially for just pricing on a product. At which point, you can even let the vendor know you sent an email and question it being received.

Although very convenient to use, never know when and why a response is not being received via electronic mail services.

#90 · (Edited)
I have chased kr from the day I purchased the Trinity and data logged. I have ran buckets of sunnco 109 fuel. And still, charging down the track, seen a deg. pop up.
Like WTF is happening. False kr. Never had knock sensors in the 70s. Again ran good fuel. No blown motors from kr detnation either. Ever. 16:1cr also btw
What most wont say or admitt,, the ones who lay down low,low ET.....there sensors are turned OFF !!!!! or desensitized to the max.
Not for the normal guy either to have them off. To much liability, and I see why.
One thing a person has to ask themselves, looking for that 20hp......
Do you have the Coin, the time and the means to replace a motor ?????? Is it a daily driver all you got ?
FlatTop

PS. thanks Josh for taking the time to answer your customers and potential customers.

#91 ·
With only the second tune from Mike@OST, I was able to beat my previous PB of 12.390@108.7. Ran a 12.346@109.42 with a 1.711 60'. Pretty happy as I am now toating a bit more weight and the DA was a bit higher than what I ran my last PB in.

Hoping to see some 12.2s once we start to mess with the cam and get the timing dialed in.

#93 · (Edited)
With only the second tune from Mike@OST, I was able to beat my previous PB of 12.390@108.7. Ran a 12.346@109.42 with a 1.711 60'. Pretty happy as I am now toating a bit more weight and the DA was a bit higher than what I ran my last PB in.

Hoping to see some 12.2s once we start to mess with the cam and get the timing dialed in.

More mile you put on it the faster it goes Chris. I think your the first with 100,000 plus miles and bolt ons to ever go that fast,,,,, without spray ?. Good job. What was the DA ? I cant see the Track or the Date on the time slip.
FlatTop

#92 ·
Nice,so with another revision or two from Mike and similar DA you will be the first bolton R/T to run 12.0 -12.2.

What was the DA on that run?

#94 ·
All I really wanted was consistent 12.3's, which this tune did well with, but 12.2s would be sweet! I'm really interested to see how much more I can pull from it with some timing adjustments and cam movements!

DA was +195. The new suspension is really hurting me off the line, but man I love how it looks now:/ haha

If I ever truly want to get the most out of it, I MAY swap the suspension back for a weekend to see how it'd do.

#97 ·
Yeah, I've been pretty lazy about getting it done. I've heard too many horror stories about the local dealership. I know a guy in Ruston with a couple Vipers, I plan to ask him where he normally brings them to for work.

#100 ·
diablotoona at gmail

#101 ·
I got to give props to Johan. I got an email tune from him that woke the he'll out of my car. Before tune the car would bunny hop jumping on it in first. And bark all gears now it will fry tires anything below 30mph. Didn't even put on my headers yet. His customer service was impeccable. Always followed up on my emails.thanks Johan

Reactions: cannonballcobb
#106 ·
The tune I have from Johan right now is pretty good, but it runs so rich my chrome exhaust tips turn black within a month after cleaning them.

You can record another datalog and send Johan to him and have him look at it. I would rather have my engine run a little rich than lean. You should of seen the tips on my 440 Cuda, they would turn black daily. :surprise:

#109 · (Edited)
I know I gave a random poor example earlier and thought I would provide exactly what I bought for data logging with my new Trinity t1000. I purchased all my mods through HHP (High Horse Performance) mainly because of the shipping prices but to each his own on their pricing and considered parts.

A/F wideband gauge controller/connection:
http://www.highhorseperformance.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=9633

Analog cable to data log through Diablo:
http://www.highhorseperformance.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=7553

Vent gauge pod for the A/F ratio gauge:
http://www.highhorseperformance.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=6869

#113 · (Edited)
I purchased the procharger d1sc for my 6 speed 392 challenger and i will be forging the motor too but no tuners locally available so who do you recommend to email tune my car I'm also thinking about adding long tube headers in there and i have the trinity t1000 but no wida band i don't know how hard is it to install it and hook it up with the trinity so i can dta log af ratios
Please help
Thank you

#114 ·
Johan is the Zen Master of Gen III Hemi CMR Tuning, As long as you provide him with a copy of your stock tune and a good data log he can usually get it spot on the 1st time if not with additional data logs he can dial it in just right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.