Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Johan tune

46K views 130 replies 43 participants last post by  PSAG316 
#1 ·
I was pretty set on getting a tune by Johan, since alot of members on here spoke highly of him. Recently I've noticed a couple of members either not being happy with his tunes, or having some sort of technical issues with his tunes. I've contacted Mike and Josh to see how much their tunes cost and I'm waiting to hear back from them. My question is, should I avoid johan and go with either Mike or josh? Or is johan just as good as them? I don't have any major mods. I will just need a tune for long tubes and hi flow cats. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
All said tuners above have good reputation. If it was my opinion on how to narrow it down, I would go more with a tuner that you see with the least amount of "bad experience" reviews.

Most cases, I've heard Johan can be a little less on cost for a tune. But this MAY also fall under the saying of "you get what you pay for" ; IF you are not satisfied in the end.

Whoever you do go with, have some patience as it may take more than 1-2 email tunes to get the tune right for your mods. The mods you're tuning shouldn't be to complicated though as they would be with a cam or forced induction.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
I've noticed that lately with Johan as well. But those were more than your simple tunes. Complicated. But still. I've also heard a lot of good things about his tunes. I know flattop uses Johan exclusively.
If your looking for a simple tune, I wouldn't hesitate to go with him. He works on donations. I've heard anywhere between 150-300 for a tune.
I've had my custom tune done by "the other guy" a couple years ago and love it and have had no issues whatsoever. It was a little less than Johan. And I have never heard anybody having issues with his tunes so far.

#5 ·
I've noticed that lately with Johan as well. But those were more than your simple tunes. Complicated. But still. I've also heard a lot of good things about his tunes. I know flattop uses Johan exclusively.
If your looking for a simple tune, I wouldn't hesitate to go with him. He works on donations. I've heard anywhere between 150-300 for a tune.
I've had my custom tune done by "the other guy" a couple years ago and love it and have had no issues whatsoever. It was a little less than Johan. And I have never heard anybody having issues with his tunes so far.

x2 for "the other guy."

#8 ·
I've noticed that johans customer service is excellent. We've sent a couple of emails back and forth and he responds within 24 hrs. I did notice the price difference between johan and mike. Mike quoted me 350 where johan said he accepts donations. Still waiting on josh's response. Price isn't really an issue for me. I'd rather pay once and get it done right, then to have to pay twice. Seems like a lot of members are pro johan. Mike did however tell me that I would need a wideband o2 sensor to monitor the a/f ratio, where as johan didn't say anything. I thought they would be able to monitor all that from the data logs?????

#16 ·
I've been using Johan since Fall 2013 - I've had great experience with him and occasionally had a code (P050B) and he's done "touch-ups" to the tune and gets them turned around ~ 24hrs.

Keep in mind he's doing this work on his own time...outside of his "day job".

Each vehicle is going to be unique depending on mods, quality of gas in a given region, altitude/elevation and ambient conditions it will be operated in...those are things that take some finessing to get the tuning dialed in.

And stay in the safe zone of operation to avoid overly lean or overly rich conditions.

#9 ·
I've not used Johan, or any other tuner here YET, however I can tell you from personal tuning experience(some of it quite successful), that the user that provides the best information to the tuner will get the best results. If the tuner is good, data logging is the key to getting the job done, and with the right data they can tell you exactly what the car is doing without you saying a word.
The other key is that the end user has to know what's going on too. If the user doesn't know the difference between valve train clatter and detonation there's gonna be a problem getting things worked out.

The folks trying to provide Email tunes are in a tough spot, I can guarantee it. It's not something I would try.

#10 ·
So what would correct data logging be? Are there different logs that I should provide? I am by no means an expert at tuning or even an expert with cars. I've learned quite a bit of things thanks to the members on this forum, but I'm still a beginner when it comes to all things car related. Hell I wasn't even a car enthusiast until I started lurking this forum and purchased my first challenger. My wife says I've become obsessed since I'm on here all the time reading different threads.

#14 ·
i am fevered and johanned so i am biased, i use them both; i am completely unfaithful....and i like it

ODP

#18 ·
I used that one guy that were not suppose to mention here, starts with an H and has an F in the name, and it was a terrible experience, and feel like it was a total waste of money. I switched over to Johan and we started from scratch and he was able to get me properly tuned in a few back and fourths of data logging. I recommend him.

-Kenny

#24 ·
I would recommend a wideband just in case you run into a problem like I had. Plus it's much easier to fine tune your AFR for PT and WOT. Good luck in your decision. I may be biased but I've worked with most tuners mentioned above on my Mopars and i had no luck with HF.

#30 ·
Keep doing those data logs and it will be just fine. I did four revisions with him a few years ago and am a VERY happy customer. I found his customer service to be excellent. Very good communication, trouble shooting, and fairly good reply time, considering how busy the man is.

#36 ·
Well another Hemi tuned without wide band by Johan. I logged for Knock retard. Added fuel until knock was completely gone. Intake temps under control and a lower temp tstat. As it says stock Heads and cam. The challenger will get the same treatment in due time. Just made a deal on shorties for "Storm".

Just got the ok to drive again. A Stroke with vision effected. Wifey brought home the Chally 11/26/14 . Going to start data logging this weekend. Nice and cool weather.

Johan Rules!!!

#38 · (Edited)
A/F gauge
Reason we can tune without a gauge is were looking for a well known well doccumented target. Targets are known from the thousands of tunes already being proven with an a/f gauge, proof of hitting said target a/f ratio of known mods in place on XXX cu in motor, xxx cam, xxxheaders, ect.
Then by making a table adjustment then looking at the reaction seen on other pids a tuner can see the tune adjustment went the right or wrong direction.
However,,,, A/F IMHO is a must have tuning tool. I use a.f gauge married to the Trinty and I data log Everytime I blast down the 1320/ and I make hand held tuner adjustments that really help me get my goal.

I pick up more than one may think by adding or taking away timing and the same with my A/f. I will lean it out or fatten up depending on DA, Fuel im using or if I want to bracket and slow my car down and help run consistant.

Now onto NSV and Shilling. As some know when certain names are mentioned a mod or admin will remove the content and make contact to the poster and explain why and just issue a friendly warning.
It is unfair to have a vendor paying coin to be in here and advertise there services, like tuning. Think about it guys. Heck id be pissed if I was paying monthly coin.

Where it gets sticky at is when the NSV (non supporting vendor) gets more work for free without paying vendor fees, becomes a bottom feeder in the forum.

Then we will have a member xxxxx use a service from someone and begin to shill for that person or service. Mentioning everything they can to drum up business and sometimes even gets paid to do the shilling. I have seen shilling in the back ground up in there avatar, telling others to have work done by xxxxxx. On and on.
It becomes blaint there selling for XXXXX service or mods. Unfair to paying vendors.

This is where we do warnings, first. Some members after the warning and rules update will continue to promote and shill for the unpaid vendor.
Points are then added as a fine. So many points gets you a ban. Some will continue and do little tricks to circumvent the forum software or use the PM system to drum up NSV services, business or parts. Again not fair.

Now comes the guy,,,,myself included guys. I was a member before I became a mod that will say,,,,what about Sharing knowledge about xxxxxx parts or services that is just kick ass.
Ive seen and mentioned those parts and services myself. But here is what I try and do so I dont get warnings or points ect.
Beacuse, I will mention how great it worked or not, How I found it, where, cost, ect ect. Then thats it, done deal. And we post about it and go on. Thats the fiference.

Now if I come back and I have a new thread, then thread after thread, post after post about that same part or service. Then you see its in my signature, on my car as a sticker, Then I am Shilling the forum for a NSV,
Unfair to the PAID vendor selling the same service, mod, or part. Or who may in furture sell or service said parts as a paid vendor.

What comes next, many of you help with. Out of no where some tool will pop up with movies to sell, or some new sticker or insurance, whatever may be and members hit the triangle. Many times its there first post.
That username just gets an instant perma ban. One touch button, a ban button they made for us. Pretty cool really. Hair trigger ban button. lolol So they get the one touch.
This is why this has to go this way. I know someone may say its bias, favortism, ect. somtimes we miss it. Cant read everything. Sometimes its a NSV who has been bottom feeding a long time, so it has to be a tuff stance as oposed to another NSV that may have just started. Thats why. And there may be other reasons Im bound to admin only.

I just wanted to take the time to get this out in the open.
Sorry OP for taking up the room, but I did go over the tuning first. hehehe
I can move this out if asked in a pm by the op.

Thanks guys, FlatTop

#40 ·
I have no experience with Mike yet, but I actually just sent him $$$ for an email tune today. I really didn't care to have a gauge in the car, so I went with the ZT-3 zeitronix wideband, which I have connected to my trinity for logging. The ZT-3 is stupid easy to install and not badly priced either.

I'm also hoping to run a 12.3 or better in postive DA once my car is properly tuned. Best time so far is a 12.390 at close to sea level.

Reactions: Flat Top
#45 ·
Is your car dead stock or did I miss the mods? You missed a few other good tuners BTW, but for a dead stock car I'm not sure going to gain much.....

#46 ·
Can you share the tuners I missed? And so far all I have is a cai, and cat back exhaust. I've ordered long tubes and hi flow mids. The long tubes have been on back order for over a month so I'm just waiting on those. That's why I'm trying to decide if I'll be fine with just a johan tune with those mods, or if I should go and get a dyno tune.

#49 ·
With the Trinity and the intune there is an analog port to connect a wideband. Some gauges are 0-5v and some are 0-4v(like my autometer). DS is setup for 0-5v so if you choose a 0-4v you'll have to do some math like I did to figure out your lower and upper boundaries. You will need a 2.5mm stereo jack to wire to the wideband. DS sells one for $20 but they can be had for a few bucks online or at a good electronics store. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask.

#55 ·
Keep in mind, every tuner, every master builder, every assembler, all I Mean ALL have had a motor window, drop a valve, break a rod bolt, snap a rod, burn a hole in a piston. Every one. If they say no way, lol lol I will stand as a man and raise the BS flag. EVERYONE has had a failure of some type. All Of Them. If they say not...hahaha lie lie lie. If you push the envelope you will have trouble some where sometime.
And if you push it without being set up properly just happens faster.
I have never seen race motors being warranty, ever. Ya just call pro line and ask them. Lol lol I dare ya. Tell them you want 800hp and 25 mpg and to drive it and race anywhere. Under a full warranty. Lol just not going to happen.
Flattop.

#56 ·
Keep in mind, every tuner, every master builder, every assembler, all I Mean ALL have had a motor window, drop a valve, break a rod bolt, snap a rod, burn a hole in a piston. Every one. If they say no way, lol lol I will stand as a man and raise the BS flag. EVERYONE has had a failure of some type. All Of Them. If they say not...hahaha lie lie lie. If you push the envelope you will have trouble some where sometime.
And if you push it without being set up properly just happens faster.
I have never seen race motors being warranty, ever. Ya just call pro line and ask them. Lol lol I dare ya. Tell them you want 800hp and 25 mpg and to drive it and race anywhere. Under a full warranty. Lol just not going to happen. Flattop.

Building and tuning race engines of any kind is no different than drag racing, if you don't red light a few times you're not trying hard enough......been there, done that. Won a lot of races against stuff the top dogs in the field, but broke a few too.

#60 ·
#64 ·
I have used Johan. Aj. And now MIKE

The key to any. Repeat. ANY good tune is info
If you go out do a 1 min log and send it to them well that don't work
Tell them anything and everything I mean everything. When they are no there at your car u are the only physical eyes and ears. So sometimes the smallest of details can lead to huge results

Keep that in mind

And Johan is good. No worry's

Chris

#67 · (Edited)
Nutterbutter, I never regreted my Trinity, mated to AEM WB, Makes a good data log.

Nice about hireing a tuner is if you dont like the tune or the way it works out there are some other good tuners to try. Aj being one of them. I hear about OST Mike some also. Hear he is good. And a Jersyboy supposed to be bad azz on a jeep.

I wouldnt rule out Brent at DTP, one of the first in the 8s...
Thinking I may have Him do a tune up my next round. I have a new combo cooking and i will need special help.
Prob only 10 or 12 good Hemi tuners out there really...
FlatTop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.