Dodge Challenger Forum banner

My DIY Trinity Mount

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sickgio 
#1 · (Edited)
Another member asked me how I mounted my Trinity, so I thought I'd post it here.

* I cut a scrap piece of plexiglass that I had lying around.
* I clamped it in-between two 2 x 4's, heated the area that I wanted to bend with a heat gun, and made the bend by pushing with another 2 x 4.
* The mount's knob was hitting the A-Pillar, so I put the knob on the other side. I had to force the knob's screw into the mount with a pair of slip-joint pliers.
* The Trinity's OBD cable sits between the side of the dash and the door. It tucks behind the black plastic trim piece in the door frame. The bend in the wire, and the trim piece clamping it, also help hold everything in place. It hides it very well.
* The Trinity stays in place, nice and solid. It even stays there when I launch the car at the drag strip. The "pad" area sits square on the dash, and the angled part of the mount binds slightly against the vent. For being a "loose" mount, it is surprisingly secure. Yet, it slides right out when I want to move it (dust the car).
* I like where I mounted it. It is in plain-sight when I need to look at it, such as watching my AFR while "playing." Yet, it's out-of the-way, and not right "in my face." It doesn't block any of my windshield. I have it angled upward as that position gives me the least glare/reflection.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice!

I might try that myself. Thanks :smile:

#5 ·
Here is an update with the gauges I display. I put them on "Page 2" because I don't want to see the timer all the time. This is the screen that appears when I turn the car on.

#6 · (Edited)
Update: I never intended to use the suction cup as a permanent part of this. I know that all suctions cups will let go at some point. Over the past 11 months, mine let go twice. So, I finally got around to making it a permanent piece. I liked the height, angle, (everything) as it was so I left the suction cup there.

To make it permanent I drilled three holes through the plastic, the suction cup, and the plexiglass. I countersunk the bottom of the plexiglass so the screws wouldn't touch (and scratch) the dash. I used #4-40 x 1" flat screws and nuts, and cut nylon spacers to the length I needed to raise the nuts up a little so they fit the curvature of the black plastic. While I had it apart, I went to a sign shop and got some flat black vinyl they use on signs, and wrapped my ugly blue plastic. The suction cup mount is now permanent.

A few people have asked me how the Trinity stays in place when I get on the gas. I ran the Trinity's cable behind the black trim piece that runs alongside the dash. Between the angle of the bend of the plexiglass, that piece slid into the vent slot (pinching it), the big flat pad sitting flat on the dash, and that cable going snugly behind that trim piece; it doesn't move: Even at the drag strip with drag radials.

#9 · (Edited)
The plexiglass is 3/16" thick. I don't have the other dimensions. I have the viewing angle adjusted perfectly so I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to pull it out and measure it. None of the dimensions are critical. I made the pad just big enough for the suction cup to seal and the width of the tongue wide enough to limit any side-to-side movement.

#8 ·
Sub'd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.