Dodge Challenger Forum banner

My InTune thoughts...

6K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  coyoteaz 
#1 ·
So far my "performance" path has been...
-MBRP exhaust
-LMI CAI

Now it's time for a tuner. So, I purchased a combo pack from Speedlogix (CAI+InTune = discount!) in addition to 180° thermostat.

For those who have not installed a tune before, it can be a little nail biting in the sense that you can't help but think you might mess things up. Just give yourself plenty of time and read the instructions carefully. Probably took a total of 2hrs since half of that time was updating the firmware/programing of the actual InTune. I was unaware of this step, but the tuner did not find my ecu in the database so it asked to hook up to a computer where it updates everything then you return to your car to start the actual tune.

I did the 180° first. Pretty straight forward. Just taped a 1gal bag under it to catch coolant, loosened bolts, pulled old tstat out and put new one in.

Now for the tune... I popped the push-button out to use the key which makes turning the car on/off more visual. Like I said, this process takes a while. I washed another car in the driveway and would check back on it every now and then to cycle the ignition or whatever it asked for. Btw, I set the ignition timeout for 1hr just in case.

I changed all the fan speeds to low=190, mid/high=198, set the throttle to 10%, changed the rev limiter to 6,000, and used the 91 octane tune. There aren't really any more options beyond that (maybe because I have manual) that I would mess with (spark/fuel settings). I think the skip-shift is automatically disabled as there is no option for it.

I have driven it for about a week now and can make a fair assessment I think. It is noticeable, but not quite the kick I was expecting. There seems to be less power loss due to heat soak with the new tstat/fan settings. There also seems to be a smoother delivery of power, especially at lower rpms. I also like the higher rev limiter, as it was too easy to bounce off the old one.

Can't say I notice any difference in the throttle response, but I'll leave it. The one negative I notice is that my exhaust is quieter?! No really it is!!! I think the reason is that with the "stock" ecu settings the rpms would drop faster off throttle and cause more engine braking and thus more exhaust noise. The tune seems to hold the rpms longer and quiet things down. Maybe this makes it faster during spirited driving, but I miss the de-accelerating burbles :(.

I definitely want a custom tune now to get its full potential, but until then, I'd say it's not a must have.

Any other thoughts on this...?

See less See more
#4 ·
I believe the stock thermostat is just over 200°, so in theory with a 180° you'd lower engine temp by approx 20°. This will help with engine heat soak, lower intake temps which allows for more fuel/air, and detour against engine knock allowing for a more aggressive tune/timing. If you live in a particularly warm climate, ie SoCal, this can be very beneficial, especially during the hot summer months where heat robs HP.

#3 ·
Over the years around here, it's been pretty much the same comment about the results with the 6M cars. Underwhelming results with the canned tunes.

A5 cars however, have just the opposite comments, probably due to the reduction in torque management and increased throttle response. A5 owners like the results, and think that the investment of a tuner was worth it.

Custom tunes are "it" though, as they get as much as possible out of the engines, based on your mods and driving style.

One thing that most folks overlook though, is the quality of the gas, at any octane level. "Knock" will kill the performance of any tune.

#5 ·
Great write-up and very high-quality photos---Thank You.

I got my Diablo tuner at a crazy-low price from a member on here for my 6-spd '12 R/T, simply because it was too good an offer to pass up.

I wasn't expecting a dramatic difference after installing the canned tune, but I am pleased with the just-off-idle throttle response and how it makes everyday driveability much more enjoyable---it seems to have removed any torque management and any gaps in the throttle response.

The enhancement for my Challenger is noticeable but not dramatic, and that's fine for me and my needs. I'm not a street or strip racer, and I was looking for a nice way to enhance part-throttle performance.

#9 ·
I don't have a heat soak issue... only time any "hot" air would be drawn in is possibly idling. Even then, the filter sits right on the hole in the fender where the stock box would normally be.

#11 ·
You really need to get a custom tune for these things. I didn't care for the canned tune. Didn't make much difference. The custom tune made a significant difference!

Reactions: DJ Hemi
#12 ·
I've seen this said many, many times. I've never asked, but now I'd like to ask you if you might could give a good definition of what difference you got from a custom tune over the canned version?
Also, what's the typical cost for a custom tune?

Thanks!

#13 ·
I have a 2013 RT 6M and did the 91 octane tune, no difference at all. I then loaded a custom tune I received from a hemi tuner and there was a noticeable increase in power and better fuel economy.

Reactions: 19johned53
#15 ·
I can say that you will get more benefit with an automatic car. I have a custom tune and mine shifts a lot firmer plus with the torque management gone and being able to turn the mds off is worth the cost of the tuner alone alone.

#17 ·
Good write up. I did the same type of testing with the intune DCX to include dyno. Not to much gain but performance improvement for sure.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249066

To date and info gained. RECOMMENDED FAN SETTINGS FOR USE WITH THE DIABLO TUNING: In order to take full advantage of your 180 degree thermostat, on applicable vehicles with adjustable fan settings, we recommend the following fan temperature adjustments on your Diablosport tuner. Set All 9 Fan Settings (both Air Condition On and AC Off) to: All HS (High Speed) Fan Settings to 194 Degrees All LS (Low Speed) Fan Settings to 189 Degrees All MS (Med. Speed) Fan Settings to 192 Degrees *Failure to set your fan settings at these higher temps will result in your fans constantly running and can cause your fan motors to burn out prematurely.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
Get the Jet. Its worth it. I tried a cheaper one and had trouble with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.