Dodge Challenger Forum banner

So 2015 and up guys need to spend an extra $800 on a PCM if we want a Diablo tuner?

7K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  PaVaSteeler 
#1 · (Edited)
I was just looking at purchasing the Diablo i2 for my 6 speed RT, when I stumbled across some interesting info. According to Diablo's website on 2015 and new Challengers we are required to purchase a separate PCM if we want to buy a tuner? The Diablo site gave me an error, so I checked carID and apparently this god damn PCM for a base RT is $800 plus the $450 for the friggin i2?

Is this a joke? Is this the only tuner option available for this car or are there other options? I was looking forward to picking one of these things to give a nice boost to my stock car, as well as after adding maybe a cai and an exhaust. However theres no chance I'm dropping $1200 bucks now unless I was heavily modded.

To boot, it seems as though this thing is much more effective on the a8's then it is on the 6 speed?

Please tell me theres another way....:surprise:

#2 ·
I was just looking at purchasing the Diablo i2 for my 6 speed RT, when I stumbled across some interesting info. According to Diablo's website on 2015 and new Challengers we are required to purchase a separate PCM if we want to buy a tuner? The Diablo site gave me an error, so I checked carID and apparently this god damn PCM for a base RT is $800 plus the $450 for the friggin i2?

Is this a joke? Is this the only tuner option available for this car or are there other options? I was looking forward to picking one of these things to give a nice boost to my stock car, as well as after adding maybe a cai and an exhaust. However theres no chance I'm dropping $1200 bucks now unless I was heavily modded.

Please tell me theres another way....:surprise:
Yea I was looking at them for my 2015 RT plus A8
Found it for just under a grand ,,, then you have change out the PCM if you go to the dealer for any warrenty work , seems like a lot of money for a few more horses
If it comes down in price maybe ,,lol

#3 ·

Please tell me theres another way....
Yea I was looking at them for my 2015 RT plus A8
Found it for just under a grand ,,, then you have change out the PCM if you go to the dealer for any warrenty work , seems like a lot of money for a few more horses
If it comes down in price maybe ,,lol
I'm in for a nickel lol

#5 ·
Not me. The bang just doesn't justify the bucks.[/Q
Diablo used to open up your computer for a couple hundred bucks.I am not sure if they do that anymore.I bought my brand new computer from Steve White for around 400 but still had to pay the 200 update and what ever you pay for the tuner.The cheapest was to have your computer and buy the tuner.I have not been on the Diablo website for some time but everything was on there before..

#6 ·
I paid about $900 all together for a trinity and an unlocked PCM keeping my factory PCM. It sucks theres not the options there used to be anymore or at least not yet. At this rate I don't see diablo offering anything more since it seems like they will make more money with this combo anyway. Its only worth if you are going to do other mods down the road that require custom tuning, which is why I got mine. I should have my LT headers and mid pipes in this week and will be putting them in soon and Im gonna need a custom tune. If you were just wanted the canned tunes and to adjust minor things I wouldn't bother.

Reactions: Rocco NY
#7 ·
Not sure if Diablo has announced if they're looking into unlocking the PCM's on these models but if they have if does take some time. I remember I was ready to pull the trigger for my 13 as soon as I got her but at the time they didn't have those unlocked. Can't remember how low long it took but sure enough they pulled it off. I suggest patience and a little time and they'll get it done. Im sure not many people would be willing to spend that amount and I'm sure Diablo would sell more tuners by themselves than a package with a PCM.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 · (Edited)
Yep, you have to "do your homework" more than ever now, before you settle in on what you want to do to your Challenger, even before you buy it.

The old saying "Pay to Play" is more true than ever. Big bucks just to tune, and as already posted, it's only worth it if you're going to add some other mods that require tuning.

That's another reason why I went with the 392. Leave it stock, as there's already plenty of power there for street use.

#11 ·
Yup. Mine is a 24 month lease, so I didn't mind spending 4-5 hundred on something that I can either sell or use in future if I decide to go with a 392 next. My other option is possibly buying out my lease and throwing a twin turbo in it...at that point I obviously wouldn't mind spending the $1000

#12 ·
The diablo site has an error right now because the ordering page for the 2015 PCM's has been taken down. They don't have any stock of cracked PCM's at the moment, and will be out of inventory at least through May 7th (I called and got this info).

Modern Muscle do have the 2015 PCMs in stock, already cracked and they can flash your VIN #. I ordered from them on Friday and my PCM/i2 combo is already on its way. If Diablosport is out of stock, only a matter of time before Modern Muscle is as well but at least it's not as bad as it was last year (was out of cracked PCMs for months).

#15 ·
I'll ask this here too since I can't seem to get consistent answers elsewhere.

1) Are Tuners now able to do the full range and scope of tuning on the 2015s as they are on earlier MYs? If not, what limitations are there? Specifically, what from the list of tuning options Diablo publishes on their website are NOT available to 2015 6M vehicles?

2) What exactly are we buying if we purchase a "cracked" 2015 PCM? Is it an actual PCM made specifically for the 2015 MY, or is it an older physical object with "cracked" 2015 software written on it? Is it a (for example) 2014 PCM with the previously cracked code updated to work on a 2015?

3) Can someone doing HP Tunes tune a PCM cracked by Diablo? Can Tuners used to working on Diablo PCMs tune a PCM cracked by HP? Or are these "cracks" proprietary?

4) Since a swapped out PCM will not carry data matching the mileage of the odometer, nor the proper tally of "sparks" from the mileage driven, and thus Dealers can tell if you're using two PCMs, other than downtime getting the OEM PCM "cracked", and having a spare, what is the benefit from buying a second PCM?

#17 ·
#4 is a good question. I wondered the same thing myself. I'd imagine even if you're running two PCM's, if you load the stock one back for warranty work they would still be able to know by it not logging properly.

#37 ·
Can you (or are you willing to) talk about the detectability of multiple PCM usage by a dealer?

One of the merits often listed for buying a second PCM (a "cracked one for MY 2015+) is that "...you can swap your OEM back in whenever you have to take car in for servicing and dealer will not know you're running a tune"...

...how valid of an argument is this today? Is there a manufacturer suggested (mandated?) procedure requiring dealers to check to aftermarket tunes? How likely is ia dealer to (a) look for and (b) easily detect the fact that you've been running for 6 months or longer on a second PCM?

If you have your OEM PCM "cracked", can you copy the programming onto your tuner as your 'original' tune, to switch back to when getting car serviced?

Reactions: GunnerSmith
#27 ·
OK, it's my fault that the forum isn't idiot proof. LMFAO

Do some research on connectors, they come in various "service grades". Some are designed for numerous/unlimited connect and disconnect cycles, others are not. Guess what type are OEM style for the pcm/harness?

Just trying to make folks aware of this, but some obviously think that all quick connects are the same.

#28 · (Edited)
I guess it is a good idea to worry about everything when you get on a forum to ask about your car and all the things that could possibly go wrong by working on it.I am sure as a ASE mechanic you are scared to go into work every day with all the things that could happen with these mass produced automobiles.The biggest problem with a forum is the misinformation given out .But life is a learning experience...LMFAO Too

#31 ·
Just for clarification- a 15-16 PCM will HAVE to be removed from the car and sent in to Diablo or wherever in order to be unlocked? This is not something that could be done at a tuner who tunes with HP Tuners software?

I'm really not that concerned with dummy-ing the PCM for fear of warranty work. Maybe that makes me naive, but I want to just take my car to a reputable local performance shop and have them tune my car. If I have to buy a "cracked" PCM to do this on top of that, I guess I'll just pass.

#32 · (Edited)
It really is not that hard but the cost does not justify the gain unless you are planing a lot of mods.I do like the MDS shut off but a supercharger is in my future and need it for that when I can get some extra funds.They say 15 hp gain with the cracked computer hard for me to feel it maybe someone else can chime in on the butt dyno feel for just the cracked computer change.

#34 ·
So is this just a "now" thing in terms of not being able to just plug a tuner in without a new or cracked pcm?

Was this the case in the early stages to the previous MY challengers when they were new as well, and they eventually figured out how to get around this? Or is this something new that just came about on the MY 15 and up?

#35 ·
This is just new for the 2015's and up. Previous years didn't have to go through the hassle of the cracked PCM. The canned tunes do not give as much of an increase to justify the cost, at least it didn't for me. The 91 tune made the top end feel stronger but according to my dyno I only got 334 HP to the wheels and 359 TQ, which is pretty average for a stock RT.

Reactions: 19johned53
#50 ·
ok, not arguing, but one is a fraudulent act, warranty fraud is the same as insurance fraud which will get you a felony and second the fine for tampering with the emission control system can be up to $37,500.00 per day.....

here is the statement from FCA regarding stage 2 and 3

IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT SCAT PACK 2 / MOPAR STAGE 2

1. A new Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will be required for Scat Pack 2 or

Stage 2 Packages (not included in this package) and is available from an

approved powertrain calibration modifier.

2. FCA US has contracted with Arrow Racing Engines for customers to obtain a

properly calibrated PCM compatible with Scat Pack 2 or Stage 2 Packages.

3. Upon installation of the Scat Pack 2/Mopar Stage 2 Performance

Package on a vehicle originally emission-certified for use on streets or

highways, it is illegal as a violation of the federal Clean Air Act to

operate such a vehicle on a street or highway; doing so potentially

subjects the operator and the installer to civil penalties of up to $37,500

per day, per vehicle, depending on the circumstances.

#52 ·
I wasn't trying to be argumentative either...and what you posted above is what concerns me the most in terms of where things are headed.

The auto manufacturers (and tractor manufacturers too for that matter) are not pleased with the continuing exemptions granted by the LoC on the DMCA, and I believe some may try to curry favor with the EPA by turning "Tuning" into an EPA matter, and the EPA may try to "encourage" aggressive legal action in defense of their software copyrights by the auto manufacturers as a means to strengthen the EPA's ability to enforce its (vastly overreaching IMHO) emissions standards and laws.

THIS is where SEMA needs to be focused. If the EPA and the Auto Manufacturers are successful in their separate pursuits, then grass roots amateur racing will be killed because part time tinkerers will no longer be able to practice on their own cars, or will be too afraid of "breaking" the law...if that happens, professional racing will die because it will no longer have newbies coming up through the ranks, except for the already wealthy.

#56 ·
I was under the impression that when you replace the PCM, the dealer has to recalibrate the throttle sensor. I had to do this when I received my SP Stage 1 performance kit PCM. Can this be done at home? If not, doesn't this preclude reinstalling your original PCM if you take your car in for warranty work, or does it "remember" the settings after it's removed? If you have to get the Diablo PCM programmed/calibrated at the dealer, wouldn't that create a record in the FCA database that you replaced your PCM with the unlocked PCM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.