Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Tuning and HP

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Triz 
#1 ·
Ok I did a search and can't find the info Dodge says on my 2014 RT 5.7 it has 375HP
where is that value taken at? RW or Fly wheel? Just wanted to know to compare to my car getting tuned.

#4 ·
Based on dynos I have seen, assuming you are stock you should be between 325-335 at the wheels (depending on dyno and conditions). I've always assumed 15% drivetrain loss, but others have used 13%. Drivetrain loss is not an exact science, but keep in mind the initial dyno is just a baseline only for when you start to do mods (to show gains).

#9 ·
Manufacturer numbers are always given in "bhp", brake horse power. This can be confusing because the brake they are referring to is not the brakes on the wheels but rather a Prony Brake (named for the inventor apparently) which measures hp at the engines flywheel. Shop dyno's (that I know of anyway) measure Wheel Horse Power at the car's drive wheels. This measurement is always less than bhp since it experiences all the losses incurred by the car's drivetrain (entropy sucks). The standards rules of thumb are 15% losses for automatics, 12% for manuals.

Obviously manufacturer's like to quote power in bhp since it's a bigger, flashier number.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.