Dodge Challenger Forum banner

15 A8 Scat Bucking While Downshifting

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  PhantomBlack 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I recently drove my 15 Scat A8 from Shreveport, LA to the metro Detroit area (straight shot). While it was an amazing GT car, I noticed some strangeness with the transmission which occurs only when the trans fluid is fully warm or hot.

When slowing down with my foot on the brake, the car will something surge hard when downshifting itself from 3-2 or 2-1, almost as if it wants to pull the car through the brakes. It feels similar to getting shoved from the rear as you're trying to stop. Again this only happens with hot fluid and that auto downshifting itself. It doesn't seem to happen in sport mode.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experience this downshifting issue and if it was a software issue (TCM) or mechanical. I'm also really concerned with the amount of heat this trans generates. I often saw fluid temps of 175 to 195 all while cruising in 60 degree weather and with no change to traffic conditions.

Any input and feedback are welcome before I schedule a dealer visit.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

See less See more
#2 ·
Been quite a lot of threads about this

Lots of differing opinions on the matter from "working as designed" to "barely drivable in slow speeds etc

The degree of rough shifting does not appear to be consistent .

My car has been in the shop for this , for probably 2 full months out of the 10 months I owned the vehicle. the TSB does seem to help , but overall I simply found the A8 to be great at highway speeds, tremendous for "spirited" driving , and an absolute abomination for regular stop and go 40MPH and under driving.

Reactions: PhantomBlack
#3 ·
Thanks for the feedback and information. I took another ride tonight and confirmed that Sport Mode doesn't seem to cause the issue. I'll probably bring it in to have them flash the TCM and see if it helps.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.