2009 SXT Challenger: Door Rust - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2009 SXT Challenger: Door Rust

Hi All,

Two weeks ago I bought a dream car (by my standards) and traded in my ol' 2002 Civic Coupe for a 2009 Challenger.

However, today I noticed rust at the bottom of the door (in this photo). It's something I missed when I bought as it's in the area just above the black panel at the bottom. There is a dime sized spot a half inch up from the very bottom of the door. Car history has no accident to that door, perhaps just a case of it never having been rust proofed.

Will a Krown rust check help with this? It's going in on Tuesday anyway. My '02 Honda never had rust and hadn't seen a rust check in 7 years at least (had factory treatment first 4 years).

Kinda concerned and disappointed. Never thought this would appear on a '09 car.

I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

You should probably have it looked at by a body shop (have the whole car checked). It really needs to be fixed properly so it doesn't grow. Hard to believe there is actually rust on a car from 09?? Good luck!!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM

Hi Glenn - thanks. I wish I saw it earlier. I haven't dealt with this before...so would this be a repair and at least a partial repaint?? What does a repair like this cost?

Not sure what the the dealer I bought it from would say, I missed it but it wasn't so obvious either...I only noticed it while I was low to the ground.

Does this sound a bit odd to be happening an '09? Even if it saw a couple of winters, I haven't seen a car get rust that fast.

Last edited by Halifax_Challenger; 12-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lets start with "Welcome to CT from Minneapolis, and that's a sharp looking Challenger".

Then, what bothers me is that the car looks like it was "well" maintained, that begs the question of why would it have any rust on it? That's why I say to have it checked over by a shop because they'll know what to look for and where to look. If there is a problem they will be able to tell you why it's happening ie: the car was pounded with hail, or it was in a wreck and damage was done to here, here, and here. Taking it back to the dealer might be the best because if you find that it did have repair work they may help with the costs if you ask as a customer and future buyer also. It should be relatively inexpensive to repair because it should be just surface rust and then a repaint of the panel and done (maybe 250-300 total). The stripe may be a problem as you would need to buy a whole new one to get the center part only. Let us know what happens. Glenn
Old 12-02-2012, 04:03 AM

Thanks again, Glenn!! I'll update here when I find out. I wonder if the paint can't be done just below the stipe without removal?

Previous owner went for the R/T look, the other side has the chrome gas cap like the R/T.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 PM

$992 for rust repair, full door repaint and replacement stripes. Looks like spring time it is!!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Sounds good, just be sure to get another quote or 2 from other shops that friends or relatives may recommend. Good Luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.