2012 Challenger wont start - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 Challenger wont start

Hey all,

Tried to start my Challenger on sunday morning and nothing. It just turned on the radio and kept giving me a "Service Power Steering" error. I took it to the dealership and they called dodge engineering. According the engineering they have to replace the TIP-ON/ TYP-ON module? First I ever heard of it.

Anyone have any idea what that is?

thanks,

Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 AM

No not at all, hope they return your baby back to u as soon as possible!
Radar Red Leather Seats, Sound Group 2, 730N, Power Sunroof, Speedlogix Ram Air Hood, 93 octane tuned, 3.91 Getrag, Solo Mach-X exhaust, Fastman Ported Throttle Body, K&N cold air intake, Painted Red Functional hood scoops, 392 Spoiler, Front nd Rear cam, Lockpick v5, Mopar splash guards, Mopar ambient lighting kit, Mopar door sills, Mopar bright pedals, Badges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Originally Posted by Gexx View Post
Hey all,

Tried to start my Challenger on sunday morning and nothing. It just turned on the radio and kept giving me a "Service Power Steering" error. I took it to the dealership and they called dodge engineering. According the engineering they have to replace the TIP-ON/ TYP-ON module? First I ever heard of it.

thanks,

If I'm not mistaken that module allows the engine to be started by just a quick push of the button or turn the key and release, no need to hold button or key till the engine starts.

MSgt, USAF, Ret. 1977-2001
Crew Chief A7D, A37A, A10A
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Photos: (47)
It sounds like the TIP Start function on the Dodge trucks. Quick Start prevents double starts, preserves battery, ignition and gear life.

Basically, it means that once you turn the key to start the vehicle the electronics takes over. In auto. trans. vehicles, you only need to turn the key (or press the start button) to "start" for an instant, and the computer will continue to crank the engine until it has started for you. Most new cars (CANbus cars) will do this, since the ignition is no longer wired to the starter relay. Its just a switch wired to the computer.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
It sounds like the TIP Start function on the Dodge trucks. Quick Start prevents double starts, preserves battery, ignition and gear life.

Basically, it means that once you turn the key to start the vehicle the electronics takes over. In auto. trans. vehicles, you only need to turn the key (or press the start button) to "start" for an instant, and the computer will continue to crank the engine until it has started for you. Most new cars (CANbus cars) will do this, since the ignition is no longer wired to the starter relay. Its just a switch wired to the computer.
Man that makes more sense than what the guy at the dealership said. Thanks a lot!

Even if i popped the Button off the ignition and tried to start by turning the Fob in there it wouldnt go I just want my car back hahaha

Last edited by Gexx; 07-25-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 AM

My SE did that same thing. Only there was no power at all after the third try. The dealership told me very little about what caused it. But I was told that after the third try it locks out everything. Here I was with frozen food, ice cream. and a sick friend headed home. They did fix it in less than an hr but I was not happy
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

[QUOTE=Gexx;1124741]Hey all,

thanks,

It's funny you mention the power steering because someone in another thread had a similar problem and none of us had ever heard of a power steering issue being mentioned for anything. I just had my mother inlaws ford Edge into the dealer for a similar problem and it turned out to be the keyfob that was the problem. The other 2 fobs it turned out worked just fine, just the one she normally used wouldn't.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by GlennW View Post

It's funny you mention the power steering because someone in another thread had a similar problem and none of us had ever heard of a power steering issue being mentioned for anything. I just had my mother inlaws ford Edge into the dealer for a similar problem and it turned out to be the keyfob that was the problem. The other 2 fobs it turned out worked just fine, just the one she normally used wouldn't.
Yeh, Thing is i tried both my keyfobs and neither would start the car. I'll let the dealership deal with it now only option i have really
Old 07-26-2012, 04:07 PM

Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Mine wouldn't start and after all the diagnostics at the dealer, they said nothing was wrong. I told them the brake lights stuck on and they said there was nothing wrong with the switch etc. Came out of a restaurant today and viola, the brake lights were on. Backing into the garage, took my foot off the brake and the brake lights stayed on. Lift the pedal with my toe and they go off. Just as I told them. Another danged trip to the dealer for something they should have fixed three weeks ago! This time I have a photo to prove it!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM

Dealer replaced TIPM witha Fault 58 error code. Works great now. Looks like its better on gas too...weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.