Aaargh door dent in my quarter panel! Ideas on how to fix? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aaargh door dent in my quarter panel! Ideas on how to fix?

Man I hate this! I had my dent guy come out and take a look at this dent and his suggestion was to remove the rear left wheel pull the liner and drill a hole into the wheel house so he could 'bump' it out. Hold on back up.....'DRILL A HOLE' in my Furious Fuchsia SRT8 6 speed Challenger, what I won't even see it? Ya, but I'll know it's there. What are you on crack?
Stupid ignorant people with car doors. I'm glad I didn't see it happen as I probably would of had a meltdown and probably come unhinged followed the people home figured out where they lived went back later with the wifes 4x4 F150 with the grille guard and caved in their door and pushed their beater across the lawn into their house, especially if I had of known that my Challenger would have to be drilled, lol. Okay I won't have done that but hey, if your on this forum, you know what I'm talking about. I gotta find a paper bag to breath in!
Anybody had this dent happen in this area? Rather than drill Lola, I was thinking about pulling the rear seat and inner quarter trim, but we have a side curtain airbag. Not a big deal, but if I do any damage ie: break a clip etc., I'm looking at replacing it and that stuff can be pretty pricey. But I'd hate to pull all that stuff and have no access either.
I had suggested pulling the sub and going at it from the trunk but my dent guy says the fuel filler is in the way. My buddy installed a flip top gas cap on his SE and he says that there is a lot of room if you pull the cap cover and maybe the dent guy could get at it from that way. The dent guy suggested gluing something to the dent but he says that he has marginal sucess doing that and he couldn't gaurantee it would go away.
Can you imagine the wife, "Where did you go last night? And why is my truck covered in mud and grass and what the hell did you do too my front end?" Lol.
The cars a 2010 (obviously) and it just turned 3250 miles on the clock. Sigh.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,033 Times in 645 Posts
The glue method works well if the repair person has a lot of experience in that system. I met someone who had the rear bumper removed to gain access to the quarter panel and the dent pushed out from behind. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 PM

Welcome to my world!!! I have a ding in about the same place, the dent guy said I could let him drill a hole in the door opening or I could try to take out the quarter trim to see if that would provide access, I haven't gotten around to trying to pull the inside quarter trim yet, but I don't think you have to mess with the air bag? I found these instructions...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf removal rear quarter trim upper and lower-1.pdf (91.7 KB, 77 views)
Resonator delete
255/45/20 Nitto Motivo's "MADE IN USA"

Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the trim panel info, I actually take these panels apart on various cars from KIA's to Mercedes Benz and everything inbetween. I've run my own auto glass company for 25 years and I'm a 30 year glass man, so I've done this kind of thing before. But being super an*l retentive it's been good for business as we have an awesome loyal customer base, but I havn't had to do a Challenger quarter or back glass yet. I'm thinking I'll get it all apart and there will be no room to bump it out cause I've asked another dent guy and he said there isn't enough room even with the seat pulled and the trim out.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Being that he would do it in a hidden area it's actually very common and they just put a body molding plug in when they're done. You could have silicone handy and just touch up the raw edges with that, this would completely prevent any corrosion as it's in a protected area of the body. This is a lot better than bondo and repainting the whole thing. Dings happen, it's all about how radical you have to get to remove them.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:42 PM

Cuda, did you say drill a hole in the door opening? You did, what? are dent guys on drugs? Don't get me wrong, when my dent guy suggested drilling the wheel house sheet metal I told him that I liked him but I'd have to seriously hurt him if I came out and seen a hole drilled into Lola. Lol as he actually took a step backwards as I'm 6'3" and not at all a small man....
I've seen holes drilled into various cars over the years to assist in bumping dents and I just shake my head, not my car, I said. Aaargh!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I do believe that there is some access to inside the rear quarter if the bottom rear seat is removed but not knowing exactly where the dent is in the quarter it might be hard to reach it that way just depends where the dent is. Iv'e also have had to drill inside the wheel well as well and it's usually not a problem if the dent guy uses the right sealer (don't use silicone as a sealer) and plug and then undercoat that area. Hope that helps a little.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 PM

If you want to find out about tech is talking about, as far as a 'glue pull' is concerned, there are YouTube videos and Paintless Dent Repair sites and forums.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rudedog Send a message via Skype™ to Rudedog
Because the rear quarters are triple paneled it's very hard to impossible to get behind. If your ding is on or near the crease, using the glue method may be close to impossible.

I've had a ding replaced right near the door handle on the belt line crease and the PDG had to drill a small hole in the door jam. He painted the edges of the hole and plugged it with a rubber grommet. You can't tell if from the factory, so if you trust your PDG and know his work, don't go all "I never drive my car in the rain" on him......

2010 Challenger R/T Classic | Plum Crazy Pearl | 6sp | sun roof | STP | Leather | Sound Group II w/Nav (730N) | Hood struts | Mopar fender flairs | MOROSO Tanks| Lockpick v.4 w/cam | Petty Garage STB | Trinity w/9r28.crom | Hust S/T shifter | BT Catch can|BT Engine bling | PASSPORT Qi45 | PCP brake calipers | AT cat back | AFR true shaker/TA hood | braided hoses | AN fittings | JBA shorties | Hi-flow cats
Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Banned

no ill will inteneded but it sounds to me it's either a hole that's out of the way, and unseen, or a dent that bugs the shite outta you....easy choice for me.....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.