Another Challenger dead battery story. - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Banned

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 392 sits for 6 weeks at a time and starts right up. Im not sure if my buddy locks the doors or not though. I am currently over seas working and he takes it out every once in awhile to run it around..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 PM

There is something in the faq that says if you use the manual emergency key inside the fobic to lock the door it will not activate the anti theft system and reduce drain on the battery for long term storage.

Ike

Mods list: K&N Typhoon CAI, Skip Shift Eliminator , Petty Strut Tower Brace, Diablo Predator 91CAI tune, License Plate backup camera with Lockpick V2, mini spare tire and adapter, Moroso Catch Can, some BT bling, 3rd brake pulser, Larry's mod Hurst shifter, coming soon Web Electric Sequential tail lights and LED under door lights
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isaac-1 For This Useful Post:
RoostKing (11-21-2012), USRWDV8 (12-03-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by Wildturkey1 View Post
Hi everyone. After searching these threads I've decided to come to you for some help
My 2010 RTC sat idle for one week and the battery was dead. I didn't leave the key on and the interior lights were off. After jumping the battery for about 10 mns. It finally started. My volt meter reads 14.2-14.4 volts with the engine running.
I drive it to the dealer and they say that its cranking 730 amps, the battery is good and can find no problems.
I must have a parasitic drain somewhere.
Has anyone else experienced this after just a week of not driving their car?
Any thoughts?
Hey Wildturkey, be sure to get a charger on the battery as the car will never truly charge the battery back to full unless you drive 3 or more hours straight a couple of times in a row.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,019 Times in 695 Posts
Originally Posted by CHALLENGEmeSE View Post
Are you saying that every time you let your car sit for a week, you remove the 60A fuse?

If so, that's another trick to put in the book.
No, I don't need to do that...mine works without any issues.

I suggested this to see if disconnecting the IOD fuse would eliminate the battery drain and see if that stops his battery from draining.

If it did, then it would be a matter of tracing down what may be causing excess drain.

If it doesn't then it points to a fault of the battery itself - possibly a weak cell or internal short within a cell.

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter
Old 11-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (14)
In talking with a shop that I trust and the AAA guy that jumped my sons car when the battery was dead both told me that a typical battery really only has three years of life. Hot and cold temps wear on a battery greatly. Once a battery is dead it harms the battery quite a bit and you must charge it for 3 hours in order to restore it. SImply driving the car to recharge a dead battery won't do the trick. I typically replace car batteries at 4 year sold as a precaution.

Either the battery in your car really does have an underlying issue or there is something electrical draining your battery. It should hold a charge for much longer than a week. I have gone a month without driving my car and it fires up fine.
R/T Classic delivered on: 6/21/13
Mods installed:
Mopar CAI
RiderGraphix spoiler graphic
Skip-to-shift eliminator
Cursive Challenger on grille
Engine Cover air brush painted
Billet under the hood stuff
MOPAR door sills

Member of Frederick Scat Pack
Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This information is from a 09 SRT but I doubt the other models are different.
Parasitic draw after everything powers down is about 30 mA (0.030 Amp).
With the alarm activated, the parasitic draw is about 35 mA so the alarm is not a concern.
At 30 mA after 60 days, a good battery will be weak but should start the car. After 90 days, the battery will likely be "dead".

Question for the OP - do you have ANY aftermarket equipment installed?
Trinity or other tuner?
Anything plugged into the OBDII port? Gauges, etc
Cell phone charger, etc?
A Trinity without the sleep timer set to 30 sec will keep the CAN bus awake and kill your battery in a day or so. With the sleep timer properly set, my Trinity still draws almost 100 mA when dormant so I don't leave it plugged in for more than a few days.
A cell phone charger I checked drew 200 mA even when the cell phone was charged.
Some things to check.
69 Pontiac Grand Prix 428

Last edited by waumo; 11-21-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 PM

Photos: (10)
wow! I have gone for over 3 months of not even starting the engine on the original 09 battery and "RMMMMMMM"...........it starts right up, no hesitation. Parasitic is right. My Eclipse on the other hand has a parasitic loss similar to what you are experiencing. My charging system on the Eclipse is all perfect. When running, it puts out 14.6 volts, but if I let the damn thing sit for 6 days...........dead. I've pulled each and every fuse and tested voltage across the contacts with the engine off of course and on an instrument that can detect .001 volts accurately, I can't find the dang problem! It will drive you nuts! I hope that this is NOT your problem!
2005 Kia Sorento Great car but everybody keeps doorbanging the poor thing.
1975 Mustang II V-8 Highly Modified to 400+ HP, nothing stock except the radiator cap

Old 11-22-2012, 04:09 AM

'11 Challenger R/T

Had same issue when i but a new stereo system in it. I upgraded to a new battery with a larger cca and have not had any problems since. You need to watch out that only a certain size battery will fit in the rear trunk of the car. Went with an Odyssey deep cell battery, #PC1350, cca-770, mca-960, phca-1350. Fit right in. For traveling should disconnect positive cable from terminal, that should help
Old 11-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
I've pulled each and every fuse and tested voltage across the contacts with the engine off of course and on an instrument that can detect .001 volts accurately, I can't find the dang problem! It will drive you nuts! I hope that this is NOT your problem!
You need a clamp on meter that will read low current DC. I clamped it around the battery ground cable and measured the currents. You can actually watch as the car's bus shuts things down and eventually gets to the sleep current of about 30 mA with no aftermarket equipment attached. It can take a few minutes to get there.

I also checked some other (GM) vehicles from 1998 to 2011 and the parasitic draw of all of them was in the 20-40 mA range.

This is the meter I have. http://www.extech.com/instruments/pr...d=26&prodid=77
I got it for about $100.

Last edited by waumo; 11-22-2012 at 07:21 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waumo For This Useful Post:
driller (01-01-2013), Wildturkey1 (11-24-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to JeffsGonePlumCrazy
Originally Posted by OrangeR/T View Post
The dead battery situation happend to me once not long after i bought my 2010 Challenger. Mine had sat for a couple of weeks (it's not a daily driver) in the garage, i go out one day and she was dead. I was told that it was becuase i left my doors locked which activated the security system, which in turn drained the battery dead. Where your doors locked Wildturkey1?? Might be something to that myth, i have left my doors unlocked ever since while sitting idle in the garage and i have not had another dead battery, been 1-1/2 years now since it happend. Hope that helps!!
Hell my car has sat in the garage for over a month with the doors locked and its not ran the battery dead, I just believe chryslers electronics are starting to get like fords was in the 90s. I stated in a previous thread about my step mothers 2011 300c is plagued by electrical problems including running the battery dead. I also had my passenger side window roll down a bunch of times by itself when I hit a bump in the road last year when I went to Gatlinburg, I could also bump the door panel with my fist to get it to do it as well. This is why I like old cars better, you don't have to have a $20,000 computer to tell you that the reason your radio don't work is because you are low on washer fluid.
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6 Speed, Plum Crazy Pearl, White R/T Stripes, SRT Airbox, Mopar Hi-Flow Drop-In Filter, MBRP Cool-Duals Exhaust, Jet 180' T-Stat, BT Catch Can, Custom Dyno tune from Henson Performance w/Predator, and a 392 IAT sensor

When the Tires break loose..... STAY IN IT!!!!!!!!!!
Untuned Dyno Numbers 340.3rwhp 372.8rwtq
Tuned Dyno Numbers 359.8rwhp 397.8rwtq

The Following User Says Thank You to JeffsGonePlumCrazy For This Useful Post:
USRWDV8 (12-03-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.